Thread: IBS folk - a probiotic question page

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member

Question IBS folk - a probiotic question

Primal Fuel
    As I understand it, probiotics are an important part of managing/healing IBS. Yes? What I want to know is whether using probiotics have caused you any problems, and if you've persisted with them and gotten to a better place where they can help without causing additional symptoms?

I've tried several different kinds of capsules, from minimal strength to major doses, all of which prompted a slow buildup to a full IBS flare. Sauerkraut was a pretty much instant flare. Now I'm drinking kombucha - home brewed - and it's building up again. Today I'm so bloated I can hardly find any clothes that fit. I've had reasonable control of my symptoms for the last 6-8 months, and haven't been exposed to any triggers recently (totally home cooking). I am detoxing from the evil coke, but that's been over a week now and the bloating is getting worse. I'm 99% sure it's the kombucha. No spasms or diarrhoea, just major bloat and a 'bubbly' feeling. Little bit of gas, but not much.

Should I push through this, and expect that once my gut is healthily 'flora-ed' it will resolve? Help!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Everything I've heard is that it's just bad. I'm not familiar with anyone getting over this but I haven't followed it too closely. I can't do probiotics at all, but kefir is fine. You may be able to slowly build up a tolerance. I also tried sauerkraut, to no avail. If you can get a liquid probiotic you may be able to start at a very low dose and veeeeeery slowly work your way up to more. Also, the best probiotics are often those naturally found on fresh, home grown vegetables that you eat raw, like lettuce and herbs. Just rinse the dirt of in cool water but don't wash. if you're having a build up try charcoal capsules as they absorb the gases and help with the bloat. Also fennel tea can help.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Jac, I'm sorry to hear that your IBS is flaring. I've had IBS problems (constipation with abdominal bloating and pain) for the past 6+ years off an on. I've been gluten/dairy/soy free for about 5 years, and when I cut out all grains and most sugar, and upped my veggies and fruits, my IBS came back with a vengeance. I couldn't figure out why the healthier I ate, the worse it got, until I came across the book Fiber Menace. I drastically cut down on my fiber, and i've been taking probiotics and supplements to help repair my digestive system (L-Glutamine). I ordered a bunch of stuff from the gutsense website, which I didn't want to do because frankly, I'm getting a little sick of spending so much money on supplements, but these were the first that actually helped. If you haven't already checked out the website (most of the info from Fiber Menace is on the website), I highly recommend it:

Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

As for probiotics, I took one from Garden of Life that has 85 billion live cultures with 33 strains. It consistency gave me terrible bloating and gas (same effect on my husband). Not sure if this was die-off (which I've read is a good sign, though uncomfortable), but I discontinued it several weeks after the 'die-off' symptoms didn't decrease. Since then, i've taken other high potency brands with no bloating/pain. I, personally don't seem to have trouble with kombucha, but i do get pain and bloating if i eat too much at once, and if i have too much fiber (I think my threshold is very low).

Wish I had better advice to offer - maybe someone else will chime in.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi Blackcatbone and BestBetter - thanks for the info. It seems like the 'take probiotics' advice might fit into the same rubbish bin as the 'eat more fibre' advice . I tried looking through the Gut Sense site; he has some great 'do not do this' rules, but I only seemed to find stuff that pointed back to his supplements for actually restoring normal function. I think I'll probably stop the kombucha for the moment, then retry it in smaller amounts and see what happens.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Many people with IBS also have fructose malabsorption. If you google the two together you'll find quite a bit of info on the two. The thing about fiber is that it's often high in fructose in the form of fructans, sometimes other sugars as well. If you look into FODMAPs you'll most likely find many of the offending foods, but my experience is that everyone's gut flora varies to some degree so things that others can't eat you may be able to and sometimes it's a difference between cooked or raw.

tyankee is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i tried the garden of life products but never really felt any different. love their concept but no results.. tried many many more products from DGL to probiotics to sauerkraut - but nothing really changes.. then i tried a new probiotic i stumbled on and it's working pretty well.. called alpha omega probiotics..