Thread: Weight Gainer/Muscle Gain discussion page

wolfman is offline Senior Member

Weight Gainer/Muscle Gain discussion

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey all, I've been primal for about 5 months, feeling great, have some abs pretty awesome. I have my summer job now may-aug, and I don't make enough to really buy that much grass-fed beef or cartons of free range eggs, and i want to gain some muscle, I've been lifting since highschool and know all the in's and outs of workout routines etc, calories etc, basically I'm going to buy SERIOUS MASS: from optimum nutrition, 50g of protein, 250 carbs, 1,2500 calories, I know it's a lot of carbs, but I will only be taking it twice a week after my lifting days. Thoughts? Anyone ever do something like this and step out of the primal guidelines?

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Why not just eat more food? You could eat a Paleo/Primal meal with that amount of protein and calories without that giant hit of carbs.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    This sounds like a bad use of your money. A cursory Google search got me $19 for 4 portions of this stuff, which is equivalent to 200g of protein, 20g of fat, and a whopping kilogram of carbs. So, you are effectively paying $20 for a kilo of carbs.

Another cursory Google search and I can buy 1 kilo of dextrose ( glucose ) for $2. I can also get a 24 oz. tub of cottage cheese for $4, and a 12 oz. can of tuna for $3.49. All told, that buys me 158g of protein, 35g of fat, and 1000g of carbohydrates for a grand total of $9.50. Not exactly fully equivalent, but pretty damn close.

A gallon of whole milk runs around $4 and that will get you 120g P, 120g F, and 190g CHO. Add that to the mix and you're still saving money.

In general, the more processed a food is, the less nutritional value it has, and the higher the profit margin for the manufacturer ... think of the number of potato chips that can be made from a single potato. You will always be better off with whole food instead of industrially processed effluent.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    even in the mainstream bodybuilding world, weight gainer products are considered a bunch of crap. so in the paleo world, i'm saying they are an even bigger bunch of crap. nothing wrong with eating whole foods. or milk. good old fashioned milk is probably the best post-workout drink you can find. try some skim milk (gasp) with a scoop or two of whey protein, and maybe throw a banana or two in to the shake. perfect post workout drink for a fraction of the price. or just stick to whole milk, and drink it morning, noon and night! but steer clear of weight gainer products.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    It's the money is all, I spend a lot on whole foods as it is, and Just wanted to throw some extra calories on top of what i already eat, but I think I will def try some good grass fed milk first...thanks guys! I don't really want to do it either just thought it might be worth a go for a month or so.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Weight Gainer = Fat Gainer

Supplement food with Whey, I pay about $30 for a months ($1 a day) worth of Whey. The biggest difference between brands seems to be the taste (although some do have way too many carbs). I use three kinds of Whey: Chocolate, Vanilla and Mixed Berry lol.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Hey all, I've been primal for about 5 months, feeling great, have some abs pretty awesome. I have my summer job now may-aug, and I don't make enough to really buy that much grass-fed beef or cartons of free range eggs, and i want to gain some muscle, I've been lifting since highschool and know all the in's and outs of workout routines etc, calories etc, basically I'm going to buy SERIOUS MASS: from optimum nutrition, 50g of protein, 250 carbs, 1,2500 calories, I know it's a lot of carbs, but I will only be taking it twice a week after my lifting days. Thoughts? Anyone ever do something like this and step out of the primal guidelines?
    MicroRNAs: playing a big role in explaining skeletal muscle adaptation?
    Health Correlator: How much dietary protein can you store in muscle? About 15 g/d if you are a gifted bodybuilder