Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Push press envy page 2

cjackson is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's all about making steady progression. Don't lift too high a weight initially. Take the weight you would normally complete 10 reps for. Then reduce the number of reps (down to 1 if necessary) and increase the weight (5%-10%) beyond your full rep maximum. Increase the reps up 8-10.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, folks. Again, I have been lifting for about 3 years, progressing from 30 lbs to, erm, 68 lbs on the 5 reps for OHP, one pound at a time, so I think it is pretty darn steady. I was stuck on it forever, and sometimes I question if I actually just reached my ceiling on that lift and will never be able to go up. I don't really improve much with high rep work, since I am a female, so I need a really heavy weight, low rep for my upper body to get the message. I do KBs so I could cover dynamic loads, one-sided work and twisty motions for the obliques. By whatever reasons I feel confident with KBs, but not with the barbell with the explosive movements. Go figure.

I should try the cables today since I am doing parallel bars and will have a bit of time if I skip cardio to experiment. I see people working with them, but it looks like it requires a lot of coordination, and I barely have time for my three basic workouts a week, so I did not get around to it, except for my 3x21 triceps push-down.

Boy, I haven't done chest flies since I did Ripped 1000. I did the machine version on the Ultimate Diet workout program though. Always liked them, but never really added them in the support. So, maybe, really skip cardio and concetrate on support work today... sounds nice, actually, since low body is wiped by KBs.

I do full dips on parallel bars for tricep + tricep push-downs, so I think that is enough tricep work.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-15-2012 at 05:25 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

The cross body extension, it is this one, right?

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Thats very similar to what I'm describing. In the photo the model is, for lack of a better term, sweeping his arm out to the finish position by keeping his arm close to his body. What I'm describing is a constant arc where your palm starts close you your opposite hip, keep your elbow straight and instead of keeping your arm close to your body, allow it to travel away from your body and finish high with your palm facing away. I'll see if I can find a utube video and attach the link.

Awesome progression by the way! What a great success! And you're on the right track, keep your weights heavy and your reps low. It doesn't hurt to change that up everyonce in a while as well. Anything you can do to create a change in muscle activation is good so long as you don't change it every work out. If you have been lifting for about 3 years I would suggest that you will need to change your routines probably every 4 weeks. You may be able to get away with 6 but to see continuous growth, 4 weeks is a good plan.

Cross-Body Cable Raises - YouTube

Here you go. Just start low and finish nice and high. Good luck!

Thank you, i will give it a shot tonight.

I made switches to my routines about every year. First I was doing classic 5x5 until I got basic strength under control and stalled on everything. Then i did 3x5. Then I switched to Madcow. I did 2 cycles of 6 weeks on UD which was very different workouts (a lot of machine work - machine work bores me) and ~ 12 weeks ago I replaced one of the Madcow workouts with kettlebell workout. Before I was trying to add KB as 4th workout and that caused under-recovery & too light weights on KBs. But because I am so attracted to KBs, I ended up deciding to heck with it, and just added it in. I have just finished my 12 week cycle on Madcow+KB, and I still have injured toe, so I am out of the pool and can't sprint yet, so I am actually wondering if I want to do a cycle of split routines in more BB style than my usual strength training for a few weeks.

In general progressive overload principle works better for me (again because I am a woman) than the frequent routine switches, but it will be interesting to see what weights I can handle now compared to my bootcamp days.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Here's a link to a pretty cool book. It's a couple years old so the dietary advice isn't bad but it's not 100% primal either. The rest is a pretty good read though.

Strength Training for Women | Healthline

patski is offline Senior Member
    Get thee to a reputable Crossfit gym! You were learn the ways of olympic lifts and you will become a BADASSSSSSSS.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

The two cable moves are really good. The cross one hit the muscle that screwed up on me, and I actually had to drop weight to therapy weight on that arm, since it felt almost injured.

I don't need an over-priced cross-fit gym on the other end of the city, and I am not doing bootcamps ever again, it is totally wrong for someone like me. I need heavy, and I need low reps, or my muscles do not grow. I don't need to 'tone' and shrivel; been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN. We have a recreation complex located at the huge chopping and bus terminal in my neighborhood, where I have access to a fantastic training facility with 2 level gym stacked choke-full of every piece of equipment a person might need, friendly stuff and regulars (when you are a pathetic middle aged women training in a weight section it is hugely important!), pool with sauna and hot tub and a lazy river, 2 skating arenas and a climbing wall, all on the way to and fro work and that has family membership for my whole family for a ridiculously low fee. I, uhm, I have a HUGE gym loyalty to our rec center! Once new year rolls on, I will ear-mark money for a PT, and get him or her to train me with Olympic lifts

I have read the Stregth Training for women, as well as the New Rules of Lifting for Women, M&F HERS Powerlifting 101, Starting Strength, SL 5x5, KB Training for Athletes, and a few other books from the library located in the same rec center complex, LOL!

I am looking through the M&F Muscle Building etc book right now, I gotta say, the pics in men's books are way more inspiring, lol. I ended up with modifying Wendler's 5,3,1 building in some of the KB moves into support and I will do one of my 2 cardios as a KB drop sets of swings and snatches, maybe some rowing to recapture my former Valkyrie protocol. I will see if I can stay from over-training the shoulders with it.

I am also eyeing GVT for after my vacations in July since I doubt I will have access to any equipment during 2 weeks, so GVT might put things back into perspective, or I will just go heavy off the bat again.

Okay, I've got the move! My body finally got coordinated enough to get push-press going. Not only 70 lbs went up, it went up easily. I will try 75 lbs next Saturday on my OHP day. I know it is not the real OHP, but I has been stalling for so long, it is pleasant to see any weight increase.

Thanks for the advice and help everyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast