Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal :::Leslie::: page

lesliek is offline Member

Primal Fuel

It's officially my 6-month primal anniversary (feels more like a birthday, actually). I was trying to remember what my first primal day was like and what I ate. I remember I had a bit of a "what the heck...might as well give it a try" attitude, despite not understanding many of the principles. I had been gaining weight and experiencing minor yet annoying health problems for the last couple years, and my Activia and soy milk weren't doing the things I'd hoped they would. I was a long-time vegetarian when I started, so I think I ate soy bacon and eggs that first day. My primal brother (@TaydaTot here on the forums...not a very good "primal name," if you ask me) finally convinced me that soy was bad and meat was good, so I "popped my carrot" about a month into it. Seeing little point in tip-toeing around the meat thing, I went whole hog that first night and had salami, foi gras, pork, chicken, beef, etc. (it was a family dinner out at a restaurant, and I made them all order different kinds of meat so I could try them all). I haven't looked back since.

Lots and lots of good things have come out of this transition to a "primal" lifestyle. My anxiety/depression/low energy levels have almost completely disappeared, making life a whole lot more enjoyable than I ever thought it could be; I've lost ~30 pounds of fat so far (hope to do another 30 in the next 6 months); I've come to love being outside (last summer I groaned at the thought of "taking walks"...now I do it every day!); I've discovered issues I feel very passionate about, and have connected with the local food community in Minnesota (I'm helping plan a conference about "real food" and innovative things going on around here). I even went from a very non-primal career (high-stress, long hours job advising big food companies on how to market their products) to a much more primal-friendly one working on a non-profit initiative to curb obesity in my region.

All this good stuff hasn't come without a cost, however. It's been stressful to "go against the grain" (figuratively *and* literally). I have some friends who are supportive and some who think I'm crazy. It's also taxing to realize the extent of poor health in our country: I was pretty blind to both my own and others' before I started down this path. I try to maintain a realistic and optimistic perspective about influencing others in a positive way, but it does feel discouraging (and isolating) at times. Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel better off for what I know now, but I think it's important to recognize the inherent sacrifice that comes in any action, however positive it may be.

Whew! I wrote more than I meant to. If you made it this far, thanks for listening. I'll try to make things interesting here. (But do you REALLY want to keep up with what I ate for dinner and what dead animal carcass I saw on my walk?...I guess time will tell). I'll probably only keep this up if it becomes more of a conversational thing, so please feel free to chime in at any point!

I decided to celebrate my anniversary by giving my VFF sprints their first outdoor adventure. Amazing! It was incredible to feel the texture of the ground under my feet. I think I could get used to this.

Just rubbed some coconut oil on a couple chicken breasts and threw them in the oven. I'll miss being able to do things like this when I start my new job on Wednesday.

jmarnold30 is offline Junior Member

I'm interested and actually read all the way through Congrats on getting to six months, the weight loss, the new job...well, actually congrats on everything! Reading journals like yours convinces me that I am doing the right thing! So, thanks!

Glad to hear it @jmarnold30! Read your journal on your blog and you shouldn't feel bad about not being as "hardcore" as some other people here. Want to know my dirty little secret? A couple months into primal, when I was roasting my own pastured chickens and eschewing fruit juice at home, I was sometimes still eating doughnuts and breaded chicken at work. (Shhh...don't tell anyone!) I knew this was bad, of course, but connections to junk food can be powerful for some people, and tough to break. Heck- I ate a pack of peanut M&Ms the other day. They didn't taste good and made me feel kinda gross, but I didn't let it bother me so much that I did it. I'm not advocating going out and binging on candy, but recognize that this is a long process, you'll get "better" over time, and in the meantime focus on all the right things you are doing!

Follow up to my inaugural Vibrams run yesterday: my foot was cramping afterwards, which is quite possibly the worst feeling in the world. Eek! My feet are weak. This makes me sad. But I will make them stronger!

Are chin transplants possible? Cause I want a new one. I've dropped like 5 lbs in the past week (much faster weight loss than normal) and my skin is raging against this. I'm glad I had the MDA forum to ask questions about this and get answers.

On a more positive note, I start my new job tomorrow and I'm very excited. I went to the store tonight to buy some new work clothes because the nicer ones I have don't fit anymore! It's so nice to buy a medium shirt and have it fit.

I can already tell my sleep is going to suffer for this new job...no more waking up whenever I want. I will have to be more responsible about getting to sleep on time. This will be a big challenge for me. Wish me luck.

Good luck on the new job! Hope you are well rested. And YAY!! for medium shirts. I'll be happy when I get into a large!!Just to be able to wear "normal sizes"! Have a great day!

Thank you! Did not get much sleep...am exhausted. But the first day went well. I think I'll learn a lot from this job, and hopefully will be able to use these skills to get the word out about healthy living.

Today reminded me what it's like to sit at a desk for several hours at a time, after several months of not having to do that. Eeek! I daydreamed about being a farmer as I read reports on my computer screen.

I've been having a desk job for about 23 years (which is probably a contributing factor to my "used to be" lifestyle). At my current job, I have a printer on my desk, which I rarely use so that I actually have to get up on a regular basis and walk all the way to the front to pick up my work product. I also have my own office with a door and recently I've taken to closing it, dropping to the ground and practicing my planks for a few minutes every other day!

What a great job to start right on the heels of making the changes you have made! You'll actually be able to make a difference! Congrats to you!

GaGrokie is offline Junior Member

Your story is very inspiring, thanks for sharing it. I've only been primal for 6 days now and am doing it mainly for health reasons, not so much to loose weight. I used to be a fast food junkie and drank several soft drinks every day. I love breads and I will miss them but with the health problems I am willing to give this a try. So far I've done fine. It helps hearing stories like yours.

Thanks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I like the idea of trying to add more movement into your day. I'm gonna have to get creative with that. (Thankfully I share an office with a yoga guru, so she would not at all mind if I started doing weird stretches by my desk). Soda is so addicting, isn't it @GaGrokie? I used to be totally against a soda tax, but now I'm thinking maybe it should get the treatment cigarettes have.

I had the coolest experience at a party last night. I went not knowing many people there, but was excited to see a guy wearing Vibram KSOs. I heard him mention something about "evolution," but didn't get a chance to ask him much about why he wears them. Still, it was cool to see my first real live person (other than myself) wearing Vibrams.

Then, I ended up getting into a really interesting conversation with two pharmacology students. I think we ended up talking for 2-3 hours about the role of food vs. medicine, chronic illness, public policy around health, etc. It was really fascinating and they seemed interested in paleo/primal when I described it. I recommended Taubes. Hopefully they'll read it and find it interesting too! It'd be great to have smart friends to talk to about all this stuff.

One funny moment was when I was proposing a ketogenic diet as a cure for many cases of Type II diabetes. The guy I was talking to told me about some lab work he had done feeding rats an all-lard diet, and how they were smelly/oily/their fur was yellow, etc. He said he imagined people on a ketogenic diet would look like that too. You should have seen his surprise when I tol him *I'm* on a ketogenic diet for the most part. His eyes got even bigger when I told him I had lost 30 pound eating a high-fat diet. Hopefully he didn't think I looked greasy and/or smelly.

It's sunny. I gotta get out with the VFFs and bask for a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast