Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal :::Leslie::: page 2

lesliek is offline Member

I finished reading Raj Patel's "The Value of Nothing" this morning and had a book club discussion on it this afternoon. It's not the most well written book I've ever read, but it definitely has a lot of interesting information and case studies. Its main thesis is that free market economics doesn't work because price doesn't accurately reflect value (cheap food being one example). I think most on this forum would like it. Maybe we could get a thread going to discuss if other people have read it as well?

I'm trying so hard to like liver, but I really find it pretty gross. I thought beef liver would be better than chicken liver, but it's pretty similar. I also had beef bone marrow tonight, which was yummy spread on fried potatoes (while not optimal, little bro and I decided this would be better than crackers or bread). I really want to like organ meats. I'm not sure how I'm going to make that happen, though. :P

TigerJ is offline Senior Member

I like calf, goat, duck, chicken, pig, deer, basically all types of liver over beef liver. Beef liver just has a stronger taste. In comparison even goat liver is quite mild, at least the ones I've had but that may depend on their diet. One thing you can do is soak it in water with some vinegar before cooking, then sear it quickly - bacon and onions are good additions. Most types of liver can turn bitter if over-cooked. Calf liver much milder compared to beef liver and is more available now in spring, so try it if you find some.

I saw goat liver at the store the other day. Maybe I'll have to try it.

Sitting in an office in front of a computer for eight hours is very tough. I went out for 30 minutes of mid-day sun today, and really didn't want to go back to the google searches (and steady wafts of lean cuisines and microwave popcorn). Can I pay off all my student debt on a forest ranger's salary?? Probably not.

jmarnold30 is offline Junior Member

My husband bought a calf's liver a couple of months ago for me to try...I haven't gotten to that point, yet. But, I will...

I think really liking offal is going to be one of my last primal frontiers. My body (taste buds, in particular) and mind are not in agreement on this issue. But I know it's important for health, and the only way to honor an animal's life is to use as much of its body as possible for productive purposes.

Speaking of honoring animals, there's this new web series about "adventurous eating and sustainable living." It's the coolest thing since (the-primal-equivalent-of) sliced bread. Love how the filmmaker approaches turkey butchering. Here it is: http://theperennialplate.com.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I never thought I'd like liver. Never, ever, ever. Now I find myself craving it occasionally. They say you have to try something 9 times to like it. I don't know how true that is, but it's worth considering.

VERY cool site! I'm all about it.

jmarnold30 is offline Junior Member

That is a cool site. Going to bookmark it and share it! Great find!

You know it is funny...when I took home ec in high school (oh so many years ago), one of the recipes we had to write and make was liver and onions. I made it and I still have the recipe, but I didn't eat it back then. I'm not sure what my problem is, but whatever it is, it is fairly strong right now. I keep telling myself to stick to what I am doing so far (maintaining at least 80% primal, clean eating), continue to perfect my growing exercise ethic and that all the other stuff (like offal, animal fat, etc. will fall into place).

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

yum i am so glad i have adored chicken livers since childhood...fry them things up in some butter...drrooooooooollllll

I disobeyed the primal gods and they punished me with a head cold (I'll spare you the gruesome details...let's just say Cold Stone Creamery was involved). I've been proud to stay healthy all winter when those around me were falling my the wayside, but this was a good reminder that I'm still a mortal.

To reward my body for all the punishment I've put it through as of late, I'm going back to the fundamentals (meat, fat, eggs), and limiting the foods that don't fit in these categories. ("Hi, my name is Leslie, and I'm a fruit addict"). Man, that strawberry cheesecake signature creation was good. Ok, moving on...

There's been buzz about April challenges around here. I'm thinking about doing a "no-alcohol April" myself. If you know anything about me and my dear friend Mr. Mark (first name: Maker's), you'll know this is a big deal for me. I still have a few days to decide, but I'm leaning towards "yes."

Today I chose to come home and play around outside in my Vibrams instead of going to the bar with friends. What's happened to me?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm craving bread like mad these days. I had some serious French toast fantasies this morning. I envy the primal folk (men, usually, it seems) who can transition to the point of having no cravings for the neolithic foods. I think they will always be there taunting me, driving me to ask if wheat/gluten is really all that bad. (Yes, yes it is.)

Broke out the grill for the first time this year. Big 'ole turkey leg, mushrooms, and onions. I love the blackened parts. Mmmm. Why must I love so many things that are not good for me?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast