Thread: About to give it a go - nervous! page

Schapiro is offline Junior Member

About to give it a go - nervous!

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

I'm about to try and do this thing, a step at a time. I just finished university and quit smoking (one month this upcoming Wednesday and feeling amazing!), so this is the next lifestyle goal on my list.

I eat a LOT of carbs, mostly a lot of grains. The idea of not having my usual homemade granola in coconut milk in the morning makes me so sad...but I know it's for the best. I realized that I feed my dog better than I do myself (grain free and completely raw for himself) so it's time to change.

For the past three weeks I've tried my best to keep track of things so I can average out my daily intake and this is what I've gotten:

Fat: 40g
    Carbs: 157g
    Protein: 43g
    Calories: 1150 (though I know this matters little, I'm curious to see how it changes.)

I'm 24 years old, female, 5'2" and 110lbs, with somewhere between 19-23% body fat, by the way. I don't know my body fat % nor lean body mass for certain as I don't have a pair of calipers and don't really trust the online calculators. That percentage is the range I've gotten from using various online things.

I'm moderately active: I go jogging every other night with my dog just for about 40 minutes, and on the nights we don't jog I cruise around on my bike for about an hour, on top of horseback riding twice a week and general daily and miscellaneous activities (hiking and walking with my dog, doing things around the house, gardening, I'm a waitress so there's a bit of walking there, etc.)

So, that's that. I'm still not 100% sure where to start; I keep reading everything, book, forum, blog posts, but the more I read it seems the more I complicate things and the more confused and uncertain I get about where/how to start.

I suppose a good place is to start saying "no" to those carbs, eh?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Double the protein. That's not enough. Sprint and do pushups and squats and stuff. Throw out your scale so you don't freak out when you start gaining muscle.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What sbhikes said.

Nothing wrong with carbs, it is the grains you want to avoid!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The last grain I gave up was oatmeal. Tried it for kicks two~ish weeks later, it tasted like bleached cardboard and I didn't even finish the bowl. You think you'll miss these fake foods, but you won't, really. Not like you think you will. Don't think you have to crash in, though. Most will do better making a gradual transition.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schapiro View Post
    Hi all!

I'm about to try and do this thing, a step at a time. I just finished university and quit smoking (one month this upcoming Wednesday and feeling amazing!), so this is the next lifestyle goal on my list.

I eat a LOT of carbs, mostly a lot of grains. The idea of not having my usual homemade granola in coconut milk in the morning makes me so sad...but I know it's for the best. I realized that I feed my dog better than I do myself (grain free and completely raw for himself) so it's time to change.

For the past three weeks I've tried my best to keep track of things so I can average out my daily intake and this is what I've gotten:

Fat: 40g
    Carbs: 157g
    Protein: 43g
    Calories: 1150 (though I know this matters little, I'm curious to see how it changes.)

I'm 24 years old, female, 5'2" and 110lbs, with somewhere between 19-23% body fat, by the way. I don't know my body fat % nor lean body mass for certain as I don't have a pair of calipers and don't really trust the online calculators. That percentage is the range I've gotten from using various online things.

I'm moderately active: I go jogging every other night with my dog just for about 40 minutes, and on the nights we don't jog I cruise around on my bike for about an hour, on top of horseback riding twice a week and general daily and miscellaneous activities (hiking and walking with my dog, doing things around the house, gardening, I'm a waitress so there's a bit of walking there, etc.)

So, that's that. I'm still not 100% sure where to start; I keep reading everything, book, forum, blog posts, but the more I read it seems the more I complicate things and the more confused and uncertain I get about where/how to start.

I suppose a good place is to start saying "no" to those carbs, eh?
    Best pieces of advise that I have to offer.
    - Listen to your body. Eat when you are hungry, don't eat when you're not (Don't be tempted to eat by the clock)
    - Make sure you get your fat and protein in. Some don't do well on too high fat (so keep this in mind). I personally get roughly 50%-60%+ of my calories from fat (I'm not counting calories so it's a rough estimate, I try not to go under 50%). I found that by keeping my diet high fat, moderate protein, low carb (healthy veggie and some berries), my cravings have completely VANISHED!
    - You seem fairly active, so you can likely keep some of those starchy veggies in (ie: sweet potatoes) and still lose weight (if this is your goal). I eliminated all starchy veggies/grains/flours, but I have enough weight to lose and am not as active. I jumped right in, but others do well on the gradual changes. If you decide gradual, you must be willing to accept that you may not see changes right away (not that it's a guarantee if you jump right in either).

+1, with all others above.
    Last edited by Metric; 06-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.

smokyjoe is offline Junior Member
    The first few days all you can think about are the foods you're giving up. After several weeks you've become adjusted to living without that stuff and the cravings go away.