Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girl I'm seeing is a Dietitian! page

gorski is offline Member

Girl I'm seeing is a Dietitian!

Primal Fuel
    The girl I'm currently seeing is a Dietitian, she frowns upon my primal diet of avoiding carbs and wheat, we try to avoid talking about food when we are together, and if I do go out and eat with her its usually on refeed days (I still avoid certain foods, wheat etc) so its cool, but occasionally id say something or shed say something that clashes, we both seem to be good at catching ourselves before we start preaching.

Has anyone had a similar situation and does anyone have any ideas of how to warm her up to the primal stuff just so she can see that there might be something good in it, its all about the standard food pyramid for dietitians, i guess they go to Uni for 4 years and are bombarded with the stuff.

Lol sound kind of coltish, how do I convert this person, lol

June68 is offline Senior Member
    You won't. She will do the research and believe it, or she won't. She's been indoctrinated with CW and who ever likes to admit they've been wrong? Maybe one of Taubes's books would do it. They're well researched and written. That and results. If you keep seeing each other for years and you don't drop dead of a heart attack, what more evidence does she need?
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I think your choices are:

1) Decide you like her and differences in food philosophy/eating are ultimately not worth ending the relationship over, so you both keep eating the way each of you feel comfortable with.

2) Decide that this is a dealbreaker and end the relationship.

You really can't convert someone who doen't want to be converted. It's like asking how to get an alcoholic to stop drinking; in the end, everyone has to make their own choices. She went the CW dietician route, investing a lot of time, money, and energy into the food pyramid, and it's naive to think that a new person can come along and change all that with one compelling argument. (Unless she's proven to be incredibly open-minded and willing to question her beliefs, but if that was the case, i don't think you'd be posting about this issue.) For every research paper and piece of evidence you give her, she'll have about 100 supporting the opposite.

Maybe, possibly, there's a chance that over time, she sees how you eat, and how you thrive as a result of what you eat and do, and she rethinks some things. There's always the chance. In my opinion, beginnng a relationship with the hope that you'll be able to change the person is a guarantee of unhappiness and failure.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 06-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.

ss14 is offline Member
    Why does she need to approve of what you eat?

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorski View Post
    The girl I'm currently seeing is a Dietitian, she frowns upon my primal diet of avoiding carbs and wheat...
    As would I if I was in a discussion with you. Unless you have intolerance, why would you arbitrarily avoid entire macronutrient groups of food? Seems a little orthorexic to me?

buffalobill is offline Junior Member
    Good biometric screening results will [should] help open her mind. I am friends with a dietician and a physician's assistant. Both tout the dangers of animal fat while proclaiming the benefits of grains. I say agree to disagree and move on.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    As would I if I was in a discussion with you. Unless you have intolerance, why would you arbitrarily avoid entire macronutrient groups of food? Seems a little orthorexic to me?
    Shit. That means I have a mental disorder.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I'm a dietitian, been an RD for over 25 years. Trained in the 80's when the low fat stuff was cutting edge science. And now I'm totally open-minded about high-fat, primal, reduced grains, etc. One of the real turning points for me was reading Good Calories, Bad Calories. It especially hit home for me as I was in university during the time of alot of that political/scientific manipulation. Though Taubes can seem a bit extremist, he certainly broke down the barriers to an open-minded stance for me.

Nowadays, I live Primal (actually into the second month of a Whole30 at the moment), but my family still has some rice or rice noodles, sugared treats on occasion (like home baking) and bread/gluten grains about once per day. We all manage to co-habitate. The meals we eat together are mostly Primal, with or without rice, and their packed lunches still contain some variety of bread or rolls, whereas mine doesn't. They are healthier, I think, with less gluten grains, though not none like me. Getting the crap out of the house for the most part has been a big part of getting them healthier.

Just this morning, hubby told me that he didn't want bread any longer in his lunches. So it can work, given time, acceptance of different points of view, built on a basis of loving each other. Good luck to you both!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorski View Post
    The girl I'm currently seeing is a Dietitian, she frowns upon my primal diet of avoiding carbs and wheat, we try to avoid talking about food when we are together, and if I do go out and eat with her its usually on refeed days (I still avoid certain foods, wheat etc) so its cool, but occasionally id say something or shed say something that clashes, we both seem to be good at catching ourselves before we start preaching.

Has anyone had a similar situation and does anyone have any ideas of how to warm her up to the primal stuff just so she can see that there might be something good in it, its all about the standard food pyramid for dietitians, i guess they go to Uni for 4 years and are bombarded with the stuff.

Lol sound kind of coltish, how do I convert this person, lol
    We have adopted a student who is studying to be a dietician. The point of emphasis we had were:
    1. Vegetables are awesome. Eat heaps
    2. Saturated fat is good. Polyunsaturated fat is bad.
    3. Bacon and real sausages for the win
    4. Regurgitate anti-grain arguements

I find that it's really the saturated vs unsaturated for them.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    My sister is marrying a vegan. At first I tried debating with her fiancée about it, but quickly gave up when I realized it was making my sister hate me.

Her fiancée has made the choice to be a vegan despite being told to eat a higher protein diet by multiple doctors/dietitians because of severe muscle mass issues. Her fiancée has already said that meat, eggs, and dairy are completely out of the question and asked that we drop the subject.

So, continue to debate my sister's fiancée or have an actual relationship with my sister? Which do you think I am going to choose?

You can prosethatize all you want, but unless they REALLY want to know, then they will not listen or learn anything at all from it. I've learned to basically only tell people anything about my primal lifestyle if they ask me about it first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast