Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with starting PLEASE! page

Siouxzee is offline Member

Help with starting PLEASE!

Primal Fuel
    Hello All,
    I've done the low-carb lifestyle before - Atkins - and it's been the ONLY way I've ever successfully lost ANY weight.

Since having my son 9 years ago, I have steadily gained 40lbs. Despite low cal/low fat plans and hours and hours at the gym. I now understand WHY, but I have a dilemma with going Primal and some questions that tie in with the dilemma.

With some searching I am sure I can find grass-fed animal products - and plenty of organic products are available locally as well. My issue is COST. Right now my family simply cannot afford the extra hit on the grocery bill and frankly there is no way my husband would be supportive. So, is it possible to follow Primal without having to consume grass-fed and organic?

Also, in the past doing Atkins I used to eat lunch meat - ham, turkey, bologna from the deli counter at the grocery store - is this too processed? Also packaged bacon. Again, too processed? Packaged sausage?

I ask because if these meats above will inhibit fat loss, then I would need to find another protein source for when I am tempted by crackers or chips. Lunch meat just meant when I was hungry and tempted I had something acceptable to eat without reaching for something that was not good for me.

I am 5 feet tall and weigh 175lbs, the vast majority of that is on my belly, a lot of cortisol weight gain I suspect with a VERY stressful lifestyle for the previous 10 years. I've had high BP for 13 years and am now up to 3 medications in an attempt to control it. I have joint pain and had a hysterectomy 4 years ago after very quickly developing endometriosis. EVERY health issue I have points to chronic inflammation and I want SO much to alleviate this.

My issue in the past has been following a Primal lifestyle religiously for several weeks and essentially losing nothing..........hence my question about processed meats. It seems there is something that just doesn't "click" for me or at least not right away.

I am trying to hike with my dog at least 3 times a week - in the woods which I really enjoy - I'm trying to put the emphasis on "enjoy" and not on a certain pace or level of heart rate etc.

This is rather rambling, I guess to sum it up - is organic/grass-fed the only way to succeed AND processed meats possibly inhibiting fat loss?

Thanks to all!
    From Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    New Member March 2012
    Height: 5'
    CW March 2012: 174lbs
    GW: 135lbs

My PB Journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49705.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the cost of food issue: don't put yourself in any kind of difficult or stressful situation going after all organic and grass fed foods. the reason for eating grass fed has to do partly with the lack of omega 3 in conventional meat. just eat some fish once in a while (sardines are a great daily snack) to balance that out. the other reason, and this is true for organic produce as well, has to do with avoiding toxins. just try to keep the meats leaner and you'll be fine; the bad stuff is in the fat. these things don't affect your weight loss, it's just to optimize your overall health. i eat conventional everything and just acknowledge the 80/20 rule.

Deli meats: eat them, but not all the time, and check the ingredients if you can. this is another area where cost can be a burden, because even good deli meats cost extra. the more affordable options can often have a lot of junk added in (not great for that inflammation), and end up not even tasting like meat. i like the occasional salami or pepperoni, but when it comes to most deli meats, i find they're not as good as the actual meat you can get. plus, it usually works out that you pay less for a whole chicken or turkey that you can cook and pick at than you will for the deli options.
    bacon: springing for the better quality bacon is worth it, for no other reason than taste and cleaner fat to keep and cook with.

don't get lost in all the details though. that stress will hinder fat loss more than any of these foods. take your time, try a few different things, and figure out what works for you.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I'll just address the meat portion... I'm in a similar boat. I make sure I eat grassfed local farm liver once a week ... about 4 oz or so, and I do make the72 hour bone broth with bones from the same place. They arE not too expensive for me. I use the fat on the top of the broth when it cools in my cooking and my 9 year old son, 93 year old Dad and I drink the broth every day. My son doesn't drink much (I'm working on him) but my Dad and I each get a cup (it's a solid jelly when it's cold). And Primalrob gives great advice above ^^

How to Make "Brown" Beef Bone Stock
    Last edited by KerryK; 06-11-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added link

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You do not need to go with grassfed beef. There's no magic in there. It just has a better omega 3 profile than standard beef. You might consider ordering a tub of grassfed beef tallow from US Wellness Meats and use that for cooking. Then just buy leaner cuts of regular beef. But even that's not required. Regular meats are just fine.

Just eat real food. Make it very simple to get the hang of it. Beef, lamb, chicken with the skin still on, pork with the fat still on, salmon, sardines or other fish. Vegetables and sweet potatoes to accompany with butter. A quarter of a sweet potato won't give you too many carbs if low carb is what you want. Cook big batches in bulk so you have no need for special "lunch meats". Sure it seems scary to spend $25 on a chuck roast, but you can crock pot it, put it in the fridge and then make meals for yourself every day for a whole week (plus soup from the cooking liquid), bringing the cost down to just a couple dollars a meal.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 06-11-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    A local to me! St Jacobs market is your friend. Buy real food, buy what you can afford and will eat, and you will have made the biggest change. I don't even look for grass fed or organic, unless for some freak reason it's cheaper. In this area (I'm in Fergus), we don't have the same issues as in the US with pink slime, CAFO meats, additives to animal feeds, and bromides in our foods. Many US food practices are illegal in Canada as well as most of the world. Here in southern Ontario, our local foods are some of the best on the planet, we are very fortunate!

There are a huge number of CSAs in the area, many have local farm stores. Most of the produce in stores is local and very "clean". It won't take long before you're loving real food, local food, you won't miss grains, shakes, bars etc.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Thank you all! I feel less freaked out now - I do take a high quality adrenal supplement as well as an EFA supplement and a homeopathic for menopause.
    My biggest issue is STRESS - I know it has caused many of my issues including the weight gain. I am trying with hiking with the dog as a way to get out in nature, get some exercise and fresh air and bring some job into his life since he gets to be off-leash!
    I guess I always search for some "magic formula" to make sure I am following everything because even with cutting out grains/sugar in the past, I have never had a big weight loss; usually 2-3lbs over a month, so then I think I am doing something WRONG.
    Right now I do drink Diet Pepsi every day - not much - 1-2 and I do still get minumum of 2L of water into me - a water bottle is my constant companion, but I also know that artificial sweeteners can impact weight loss among other things. I used Stevia in my coffee.

@ElaineC - yes we are neighbours! I know we are fortunate to live in this area because of all the healthier options available, and I am working more on buying local. I love Fergus, my husband lived in Elora when I met him!

Thanks again everyone!
    New Member March 2012

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siouxzee View Post
    ... I do still get minumum of 2L of water into me - a water bottle is my constant companion ...
    As long as it's a glass or stainless steel bottle:

Choosing a Safe Water Bottle | Mark's Daily Apple

If you carry a plastic bottle around all day, the plastic-hardener can leach out of the plastic into the water, as the water warms up. And unfortunately, the one in common use seems to be an obesogen:

Exposure to even minuscule amounts of synthesized substances -- used in everything from pesticides to water bottles -- can scramble hormone signals, scientists say. This interference can trick fat cells into taking in more fat or mislead the pancreas into secreting excess insulin, a hormone that regulates the breakdown of fat and carbohydrates.
    BPA's Obesity And Diabetes Link Strengthened By New Study

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siouxzee View Post
    I do still get minumum of 2L of water into me
    That's a recommendation that someone pulled out of thin air and has no scientific basis and can actually be harmful.

How Much Water Should YOU Drink? – 180 Degree Health
    Drinking too much water 'can be bad for your health': Benefits are a myth | Mail Online
    Drink Less Water? | Mark's Daily Apple

Unprocessed food has a lot of water content. A typical cut of steak is approximately 70% water by volume. Once you eliminate bread and crackers and other grain-based food, you will be amazed at how not thirsty you are. However first you have to stop drinking so much, because strangely, the more you drink the more thirsty you can feel.

Anyway, Lewis' quote brought this to my attention and I had to say something.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Yes, I do use a stainless steel bottle, but I have the "drink water, lose weight" paranoia drilled into me from previous "diets" and can't seem to not have water near me at all times.

I have high blood pressure and right now just added a 3rd medication to control it - it's around 160/100 consistently. So medication for the high BP, plus a diuretic, and now a calcium channel blocker. I tried for a while to NOT take the last two meds, but the BP rating just kept creeping up and up and up.....

I agree that when you stop drinking water you feel thirsty all the time - I guess it's what your body gets used to......
    New Member March 2012

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    That's a recommendation that someone pulled out of thin air and has no scientific basis and can actually be harmful.

How Much Water Should YOU Drink? – 180 Degree Health
    Drinking too much water 'can be bad for your health': Benefits are a myth | Mail Online
    Drink Less Water? | Mark's Daily Apple

Unprocessed food has a lot of water content. A typical cut of steak is approximately 70% water by volume. Once you eliminate bread and crackers and other grain-based food, you will be amazed at how not thirsty you are. However first you have to stop drinking so much, because strangely, the more you drink the more thirsty you can feel.

Anyway, Lewis' quote brought this to my attention and I had to say something.
    I've even emailed Mark about this. I wonder if it really is bad to drink a lot of water while primal while you're losing a lot of fat I wonder this because I understand it's important to flush out toxins while losing weight and keeping up the water intake helps the kidneys flush them out instead of reabsorbing some of them. Plus, it helps the bowels move too, yes? That, too, is important for we can re-absorb toxins from the waste we don't pass quickly enough.

Disclaimer - I'm truly curious and interested in opinions or studies, not trying to irritate or prod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast