Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to excersise/fibromyalgia page 2

Grizz is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    He says I shouldn't take iodine supps. But it sounds really good, would a little hurt do you think?
    Here is your ultimate authority once a again, Stop The Thyroid Madness on the subject of iodine:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...-iodine-bread/
    Do a SEARCH on IODINE for more.

You are going to get yourself EXTREMELY confused by listening to unqualified Sources. PUHLEASE do your research in the STTM link above. This is the very best & most qualified source of information on the Thyroid. You will learn that your doctors can be DEAD WRONG so learn to depend on yourself and StopTheThyroidMadness. Spend a lot of quality time in this website. Your good health depends on it.

There is just no substitute for you to learn about your own thyroid and make your own decisions. You can depend on all the links I have provided for you, ESPECIALLY the STTM site.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-11-2012 at 11:35 AM.

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member
    Amour isnt approved for use over here so I am a bit stuck with that. So did you have any advice on starting excersise for me?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Yes,
    The BEST exercise is walking 10,000 steps a day.
    Work your way up to 10,000 a day. Park your car at the far end of the parking lot, walk up steps instead of elevator, wlk instead of driving. etc.

Sorry, but you give up WAY too easily. You must fight like hell for your good health. STTM has a special section for the UK:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/uk-doctors/
    You are clearly not spending quality time at STTM.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-11-2012 at 12:59 PM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    He says I shouldn't take iodine supps. But it sounds really good, would a little hurt do you think?
    Please listen to your doctor.

Grizz means well in his heart I'm sure, but IMO he has become a misguided, paranoid, conspiracy theorist.

I face physical impairment challenges as well... (due to a chronic pain disease and other medical problems)
    As far as exercise... walking is great.
    You can start with as little as a 10 or 15 min walk and go up from there as YOU feel comfortable.
    If you try to go up to 20 or 30 minutes and find it is making things worse, move up by doing two smaller walks per day first.
    You are in control. You can decide to change the increments of time you walk to suit your needs.
    There is no rule that says you have to jump from 10 min to 15 min... you can do 11 min, 12 min... whatever you need to do.

For other exercises watch some videos. If the video says "do 20" or "three sets of 10", just start smaller and within YOUR own comfort level and maybe "do 5" or "three sets of 3" to start. If that is comfortable do one more the next time, and so on.
    If you find an exercise that you can only do ONE of, just do one. One is more than none, and next week maybe you'll be comfortable doing TWO.
    If you do an exercise and it causes a LOT of pain, fatigue, etc... do just a little less next time.

There is no shame in taking the slow lane.
    As a matter of fact there are parables (the tortoise and the hare for instance) that tell us that slow and steady wins the race.
    Many perfectly healthy people defeat themselves every year by starting out with too much too fast.
    If you have any sort of chronic medical problem then the likelihood of burnout is even higher.
    Hugs to you.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. I would like to be able to do one whole pull up. I would also like to do squats amd push ups. I will just do what I can each day and hopefully get stronger.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Cori,

Sorry but you are dead wrong. StopTheThyroidMadness web site is the Gold Standard for thyroid problems & thyroid meds.
    Site Map | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Grizz

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Cori,

Sorry but you are dead wrong. StopTheThyroidMadness web site is the Gold Standard for thyroid problems & thyroid meds.
    Site Map | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Grizz
    Gold Standard by what definition? Who decided STTM has the answers?

I would appreciate it if you would stop talking in absolutes, practicing medicine without a license, and coming across like you have all the answers.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I did have half my thyroid gland removed due to a goiter and so I take thyroxine tablets 125mc. I do have excessive sleepiness, cold intolerence and heat intolerance also. I do get muscle aches and joint pain, poor memory, this is ne of the reaasons I cut grains and am trying to build some strenght.
    Do you have thyroid lab results you can share? Is your doctor dosing your meds based on TSH or is he/she using Free T4 and Free T3.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It was, in actuality, under treated thyroid. Once I got optimally treated my fibro symptoms resolved.

If you are not adequately medicated for thyroid, exercise can be difficult.The body needs time to heal. My suggestion is to get optimally treated before worrying about pull-ups, push-ups, squats...

Walking is a good place to start. Starting low and slow and increasing low and slow is also a good idea.

Other things that can hinder thyroid function or mimic thyroid symptoms include:
    1. Low vitamin D
    2. Low selenium--200mcg/day is needed
    3. Low ferritin levels
    4. Not eating enough or going too low carb. Carbs help T4 to T3 conversion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12