Thread: Another Coffee post (insulin) page

DavidJames is offline Junior Member

Another Coffee post (insulin)

Primal Fuel
    Dear Mark,

Now I checked to see if I could find a post about this and I can find a lot about coffee/caffeine intake
    and it disturbing sleep patterns and all that.
    But I am bringing this back up as I was reading a book by one Zoe Harcombe, and she suggests that
    without sugar, you should have no more than 1 coffee a day or absolute maximum 2 as coffee spikes insulin
    levels, Is this true? I can understand this with a load of sugar but without just confused me.

Thanks.

Dave

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, caffeine in generally usually causes an insulin response. It stimulates your adrenal glands to secrete epinephrine, which raises your blood sugar, which requires insulin. So yes, even black coffee for most people will cause some sort of insulin reaction.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    Yes, caffeine in generally usually causes an insulin response. It stimulates your adrenal glands to secrete epinephrine, which raises your blood sugar, which requires insulin. So yes, even black coffee for most people will cause some sort of insulin reaction.
    Hogwash.

When you think caffeine, think adrenaline, think fight or flight response, think that surge of blood sugar that comes from your liver and the glucagon that got it there in the first place. That's right, one does not elevate circulating glucose levels via insulin, but rather glucagon.

Caffeine actually decreases insulin sensitivity, exactly as you would expect. Why? Well, if you're gearing up to either run or fight for your life, then your liver is pumping out glucose like there is no tomorrow, because if you can't power your muscles, there very well might not be, and absolutely the last thing you want is for some overachieving adipose tissue to start extracting glucose from your bloodstream in response to insulin signaling in order to store it as fat. The best way to avoid this is to not secrete insulin in the first place, because a working muscle cell will translocate the GLUT4 glucose transporter to the cell membrane independent of insulin action when it is being exercised and extract plasma glucose just fine in this manner.

Not only that, in fact your adipose tissue is actually releasing free fatty acids at an accelerated rate to act as a further energy substrate for your muscles. As a result, for years the most popular bodybuilding fat cutting supplement protocol was the ECA stack, or Ephedrine, Caffeine and Aspirin. This, of course, until the government decided that the only use for ephedrine was to actually produce methamphetamine and banned it for "health reasons."

-PK
    Last edited by pklopp; 06-12-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Harcombe is a diet-book selling charlatan. You can pretty much disregard any advice she gives.

My Carb Sane-Asylum: Zoe Harcombe ~ Credentials?

Besides, the fact that a food "spikes your insulin" is no reason not to eat it. Insulin is a necessary and healthy hormone.
    Insulin is NOT the enemy! | Fat Fighting Formula
    Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation » Weightology Weekly
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

CarlaC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Hogwash.

When you think caffeine, think adrenaline, think fight or flight response, think that surge of blood sugar that comes from your liver and the glucagon that got it there in the first place. That's right, one does not elevate circulating glucose levels via insulin, but rather glucagon.

Caffeine actually decreases insulin sensitivity, exactly as you would expect. Why? Well, if you're gearing up to either run or fight for your life, then your liver is pumping out glucose like there is no tomorrow, because if you can't power your muscles, there very well might not be, and absolutely the last thing you want is for some overachieving adipose tissue to start extracting glucose from your bloodstream in response to insulin signaling in order to store it as fat. The best way to avoid this is to not secrete insulin in the first place, because a working muscle cell will translocate the GLUT4 glucose transporter to the cell membrane independent of insulin action when it is being exercised and extract plasma glucose just fine in this manner.

Not only that, in fact your adipose tissue is actually releasing free fatty acids at an accelerated rate to act as a further energy substrate for your muscles. As a result, for years the most popular bodybuilding fat cutting supplement protocol was the ECA stack, or Ephedrine, Caffeine and Aspirin. This, of course, until the government decided that the only use for ephedrine was to actually produce methamphetamine and banned it for "health reasons."

-PK
    I don't know if it's too late in the day.... But I have been reading and listening to a TON of LC and general nutrition stuff over the last two months and I have no idea what you are saying. Can you simplify for me?

Coffee: thinks up or thumbs down?

Thank you

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaC View Post
    I don't know if it's too late in the day.... But I have been reading and listening to a TON of LC and general nutrition stuff over the last two months and I have no idea what you are saying. Can you simplify for me?

Coffee: thinks up or thumbs down?

Thank you
    I'll try to hit the highlights:

• Caffeine does not produce an insulin response.
    • Caffeine produces a glucagon response.
    • Glucagon promotes lipolysis.
    • Therefore caffeine helps one burn fat.
    • This is why bodybuilders used to take it in conjunction with other things to help them cut.
    • Caffeine is my favourite vice. Enthusiastic thumbs up.

How's that?

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

isbolick is offline Member

• This is why bodybuilders used to take it in conjunction with other things to help them cut.

How's that?

-PK
    Oh, thank god!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
    oh, thank god!
    lmao
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

DavidJames is offline Junior Member

How's that?

-PK

This is brilliant! I did get a kick out of the scientific response! I totally appreciate your time for responding and answering my question

Thanks.