Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't seem to get abs page 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Give it 8 months!
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

zwschlei is offline Member
    I'm at 12% body fat...

jakey is offline Senior Member
    squats and pullups and (to a lesser degree) planks build the abs best. but it's really about dieting, because you can never workout a day in your life, and if you're slim enough, you'll have visible abs. but you can workout compulsively and squat 1200 lbs, but if you carry extra fat tissue, you'll not have visible abs.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Is there a place at all for any ab exercises?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Is there a place at all for any ab exercises?
    planks and L-sits are great. if you mean crunches and sit ups, i think they're completely over-rated.

the real function of your abs is isometric, not simply tightening the torso to create spinal flexion (which they also do).

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to my world.

The way to get abs is with heavy complex lifts (deadlifts, squats, benchpresses, chin-ups, pull-ups) paired with a mild caloric deficit achieved through calorie and carbohydrate cycling. Most lifters will tell you to eat at maintenance or slightly above on lift days with lots of carbs and low fat, while taking in low carbs and lower calories on days you don't lift heavy. Overall, you will need a net deficit. A slow cut is ~0.5 lbs of fat lost a week, so bank on 1,500-2,000 calorie deficits per week. Greater deficits could lead to muscle loss and your body holding onto fat.

At least that's how the pro's do it. I usually can't hold onto the commitment due to too many social events. I feel damned to 12% body fat myself.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Tashimojo is offline Junior Member
    So when people say pull-ups build abs, are we talking about traditional pull-ups where you try to keep your body as still as possible and raise your chest to the bar? Those crazy looking kipping pull-ups? Another pull-up variation? All pull-up variations?

Quote Originally Posted by Tashimojo View Post
    So when people say pull-ups build abs, are we talking about traditional pull-ups where you try to keep your body as still as possible and raise your chest to the bar? Those crazy looking kipping pull-ups? Another pull-up variation? All pull-up variations?
    traditional pull-ups work great. i really think that squats may be the best though.

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member
    It took me a while for my abs to start to look good. I would say when I genuinely started to focus on pullups (like 50 a day) while doing pushups is where I started to turn the corner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12