Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? about calories in and exercise calories out page

gopintos is offline Senior Member

? about calories in and exercise calories out

Primal Fuel
    I have a question that I am not sure how to word it.

Between your calories in and your calories out, do you still need to stay at a certain calorie range from your food? Can exercise push you into a too low of range or is that not a factor? Does that make sense?

Sorry if that has been discussed somewhere.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I have a question that I am not sure how to word it.

Between your calories in and your calories out, do you still need to stay at a certain calorie range from your food? Can exercise push you into a too low of range or is that not a factor? Does that make sense?

Sorry if that has been discussed somewhere.
    Energy input and output are coupled. You can't treat them independently. Changing one affects the other.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Ty.

I was wondering because on the days that I do workout, my calories pretty much stay the same, within 100 - 200 give or take. So I was wondering about creating too large of a deficit and slowing progress.

FriedBob is offline Junior Member
    I actually have the same basic question.

According to conventional wisdom, I need to net just over 2,000 calories a day at my present weight in order to "safely" lose 2 pounds a week.

I've been tracking both intake and calories burned, and days like today where my activity has been higher (gotta love moving and cleaning) my net caloric intake is 987 calories - well under my "safe" budget of 2,014 (today's gross so far is 1,987)

I'm using the IF and WHEN method, and times like this where my net calories are rather low, I feel like I need to eat, but I can't tell for sure if it is a true hunger, or just a psychological need. I do have a friend who consistently eats between 1200 and 1400 calories, and I believe that is his gross intake.

My question is, and I think the OP's is as well, do I need to force my self to eat more on days like this, or would this be more like a day when Grok hunts, but fails to kill and has to eat light for a day?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    You don't burn a lot of calories working out. If you burn 100 calories per mile walking and there's 3500 calories in a pound of fat you'd have to walk 35 miles to burn the number of calories equal to 1 pound of fat.

High intensitiy exercise burns more glucose that might cause you to need more carbs to replace those carbs but it's also dependent on your regular (weekly) volumn.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    High intensitiy exercise burns more glucose that might cause you to need more carbs to replace those carbs but it's also dependent on your regular (weekly) volumn.
    Actually, high intensity exercise, i.e. anaerobic pathways, burns glycogen stored locally at the muscle. Does dietary glucose actually speed up the replenishment of muscle glycogen?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Actually, high intensity exercise, i.e. anaerobic pathways, burns glycogen stored locally at the muscle. Does dietary glucose actually speed up the replenishment of muscle glycogen?
    Yes it will.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I highly suggest reading the articles on Lyle MacDonald's Body Recomposition website. He explains this highly confusing topic with clarity.

Below is a link to his calories in/calories out explanation, but I'd suggest perusing through his other articles - they're short and well-written and after reading them, i always feel a little smarter!

The Energy Balance Equation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Don't count calories, fix your metabolism.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    YES. try it. don't listen to ron rosedale, or [insert internet guru/youtube video here].

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast