Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice:my hubby who suffers w/ gout sees no success w/ Paleo page

themarn4 is offline Junior Member

Need advice:my hubby who suffers w/ gout sees no success w/ Paleo

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have spent half a year trying to convince my hubby to try paleo. After his 3rd major gout attack since December 2011, he agreed. He is almost done his first whole 30 and he's been faithful with no cheats. Two weeks in he suffered a 'small' gout attack (is there such a thing??) where we at least didn't have to go to emergency, he still suffers with sleep problems, and has lost little weight (maybe a few pounds, if even that). He's the first I've heard of in all my reading that has not seen at least some improvement, and I don't want him to give up! With him eating like this with me and our 1 year old, our grocery bill jumped up to an extra $300-400 per month, which is another reason why he is thinking of not continuing like this. Anyone else, especially with gout knowledge, have any ideas why this may not be working for him?

Thanks for any help!
    Marni

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by themarn4 View Post
    I have spent half a year trying to convince my hubby to try paleo. After his 3rd major gout attack since December 2011, he agreed. He is almost done his first whole 30 and he's been faithful with no cheats. Two weeks in he suffered a 'small' gout attack (is there such a thing??) where we at least didn't have to go to emergency, he still suffers with sleep problems, and has lost little weight (maybe a few pounds, if even that). He's the first I've heard of in all my reading that has not seen at least some improvement, and I don't want him to give up! With him eating like this with me and our 1 year old, our grocery bill jumped up to an extra $300-400 per month, which is another reason why he is thinking of not continuing like this. Anyone else, especially with gout knowledge, have any ideas why this may not be working for him?

Thanks for any help!
    Marni
    Gout is caused by uric acid, which is a by product of fructose metabolism. My dad had a gout relapse simply by eating two mangoes a day. Cut out ALL sugar and likely all fruits.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/10/05/gout/

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Has he painted iodine on his toe? In the iodine mega-thread, there was something about this working.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    He should be eliminating FODMAPs, many of which are allowed on the Whole 30 but are a form of Fructose. This can be difficult as it eliminates quite a few more foods due to how they are digested. Most people have no problem with these foods but if you're sensitive to fructose then doing an elimination diet is the best way to figure out what not to eat or to only eat in moderation. Possible foods are lettuce, onions, garlic, artichoke, asparagus and more. Does he have gut issues? Bloating, irregular BMs or gas types of problems. If so it may well be fructose malabsorption which substantially increases the risk of gout. It's also possible that FM may be an issue without obvious symptoms.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Has he painted iodine on his toe? In the iodine mega-thread, there was something about this working.
    Do you mock the workings of iodine?

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Do you mock the workings of iodine?
    Um, how am I mocking it, if I'm recommending that they check it out?

P.S. in normal circumstances, I am totally mocking everything.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Make sure he is also balancing out muscle meat consumption with lots of bone broth and organ meats too.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by themarn4 View Post
    With him eating like this with me and our 1 year old, our grocery bill jumped up to an extra $300-400 per month, which is another reason why he is thinking of not continuing like this.
    Not everyone sees an huge jump in cost. For example, anyone that's got room for a freezer and buys meat in bulk direct from a farmer can save quite a lot. In fact, that way you get meat (and high quality meat at that) very much cheaper than if it comes in small packets at the supermarket. I don't know what you do -- that's just an example. But certainly some Paleo Dieters say that their bills don't go up as much as they thought, or even fall. There's an article by an accountant at the WAPF site who tracked everything and found, to her surprise, that switching to "real food" saved her money:

Healthy Eating Shouldn't Cost an Arm and a Leg - Weston A Price Foundation

I guess it partly depends on what people consider Paleo/Primal to be. Prof. Cordain says that the percentage of protein can range up to anything up to 30%. Accordingly, many Paleo Dieters do eat a heck of a lot of meat. Well, that's going to be expensive. Most other sources say something more like a 0.7 g of protein a day for every pound of lean body mass (which is probably something like 8 to 12 ounces of meat). Doctors connected with Atkins say to keep protein "moderate". Dr. Rosedale (guest columnist here recently) and Nora Gedgaudas (Primal Body, Primal Mind) recommend even less than that.

So cost obviously depends on what you interpret Paleo/Primal as and on how you source stuff.

Anyone else, especially with gout knowledge, have any ideas why this may not be working for him?
    Well, you've already got some suggestions there, including an editorial by Mark.

The only other thing that occurs to me is the question of whether someone might be going into and out of ketosis. Volek and Phinney say that you can get problems going in and out of ketosis, since the kidneys can be too busy clearing ketones to clear enough uric acid. The solution here is to be sure to stay at a particular carbohydrate level, so that the body gets used to it -- it would be fluctuating above and below 50 g of carbohydrate a day that would be problematic from that point of view.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I have learned, with my own husband of 16 years, and his entire immediate family
    (mom, dad, brother) history of having gout, that a flare up is apropos of NOTHING.

Not fructose, not shellfish, not red meat.

It's either in your gene pool/molecular makeup, or it's not.

I have tried elimination diets for my husband - no this, no that, eat ONLY this for 3 months
    you name it, we've tried it. 16 years is a LONG time to be together trying to rectify this horseshit.

It really hit home that flare ups happened for NO reason when he had his hip replaced two years
    ago (he was 42, not 80 as you might imagine). He had to fast the day before the surgery began,
    and then, let me tell you, how he didn't eat jack crap AFTER the procedure because getting your hip
    replaced is sheer hell. The pain takes your mind off of food for sure.

Anyway, 5 days later the man is finally hungry but only wants something bland, so I get him a slice
    of toast (pre-primal) with some natural peanut butter on it.

Two days later, after eating only JUST THAT, in what, SEVEN effing days, he gets a HORRIBLE gout flare up.

So now not only is he riling from the hip surgery pain, the embarrassment of his wife having to "change him"
    (there is no way one can sit on a regular toilet!), but now the poor man has gout, too?

Bitch please.

So finally he just decided to get all his blood levels checked, liver enzymes checked, do what he had to do
    and get on freaking Uloric.

Yep, it's a med, and it's not primal, but he's sure as shit way more happier with him taking THAT
    and having NO flare-ups in 1.5 years than getting gout for 7 days a month in his....: foot, ankle, thumb joint,
    knee, elbow, shoulder...

God, you name the joint, he's had it there.

Anyway, I write this with so much vehemence because everyone thinks that "Just doing these few things" will
    eliminate gout.

SIXTEEN YEARS - tried them all. Did I mention SIX TEEN YEARS?

Gout to me is like a pediatrician telling you your baby has colic.

It's a catch all and no freaking cure because the doctors don't know shit.

Okay, I'm taking a deep breath now and going to carefully climb down off
    my soap box......

Julie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast