Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Too much fruit - bad? page 4

The_Undead_Pixie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    They are right in that fructose is fructose. The only difference is that it is easier to consume lots of fructose if it is in soda whereas trying to consume the same amount that would be in fruit would be a lot more difficult to do!

And yes, I will leave fruit to the rest of you. Personally I don't like fruit but I would also consider this:
    Why You Shouldn't Eat Five Portions of Fruit and Veg? - Part One
    (go to page 3 for the fruit section)

As I said, I don't like fruit. too sweet and I find it acidic. But that is me. If any of you like it then great - that is YOUR choice.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The problem is not that you get fat from eating fruit per se, it is that fruit is not a meal, and that they stack up fast, and you can eat a TON of it if you are sugar addict without realizing how much of it you are eating. In Russia, in the villages, in the olden times, as my grandma told me on an unrelated note, during the apple harvest everyone added weight visibly. Not because apples are bad for you (that was Antonovka we are talking about, that is more sour than your Granny Smith!), but because they had one here, one there, and a couple more after supper... I can put away about 6 servings of fruit in a sitting after having a dinner (do you know a serving of fruit is like 1/2 half of a VERY SMALL apple, or like 4 strawberries???? Who the heck can stop at just 4 strawberries???!), and not blink an eye. That's like 600 calories. A pound a week. AND eaten on its own, fruit is appetite inducing. It pairs great with dairy and nut butters and cream... even more calories. It is easy to reach for as a snack instead of sitting out that momentary impulse to eat.

Fruit is bad for those who are addicted to it. Just like wine is bad for alcoholics. Just like milk harms lactose intolerant. Just like some people can't eat nightshades. Or cabbages.

Sure, Mark and the like of him can talk about eating a piece of fruit once a week. I wish I was one who is like going to take a few bites from an apple and like go: "yeah, good apple." But I am like: good apple! now a bit more grapes, and another apple... and maybe...
    I completely agree with this! I could manage a kilo of cherries, follored by a pint of raspberries, followed by a fig and a banana in one sittine, if I allowed myself. Bad case of sugar addiction.
    If your goal is to lower your bodyfat %, you certainly shouldn't overdo fruit. A little a day or once in a while, yes, but not buckets of it.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you can live without fruit, so be it.

But if a couple of pieces of fruit a day gives you the variety you need to keep from sliding back to SAD, eat on. The ability to comply with a healthy diet is probably more important than acheiving a "perfect" diet. Some days, I can't face bacon and eggs again for breakfast, so I have a fruit smoothie. The smoothie with 3 servings of fruit is far better than a cinnamon roll, bagel, doughnut, cereal......plus I get some great nutrients.

And all foods have good and bad aspects (except for junk).

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If you can live without fruit, so be it.

But if a couple of pieces of fruit a day gives you the variety you need to keep from sliding back to SAD, eat on. The ability to comply with a healthy diet is probably more important than acheiving a "perfect" diet. Some days, I can't face bacon and eggs again for breakfast, so I have a fruit smoothie. The smoothie with 3 servings of fruit is far better than a cinnamon roll, bagel, doughnut, cereal......plus I get some great nutrients.

And all foods have good and bad aspects (except for junk).
    I agree that if you are good with whole fruit, go ahead and enjoy it, and feel no guilt or whatever ... just be happy.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Undead_Pixie View Post
    They are right in that fructose is fructose. The only difference is that it is easier to consume lots of fructose if it is in soda whereas trying to consume the same amount that would be in fruit would be a lot more difficult to do!

And yes, I will leave fruit to the rest of you. Personally I don't like fruit but I would also consider this:
    Why You Shouldn't Eat Five Portions of Fruit and Veg? - Part One
    (go to page 3 for the fruit section)

As I said, I don't like fruit. too sweet and I find it acidic. But that is me. If any of you like it then great - that is YOUR choice.
    Love that link. Although I'm not completely on the Harris waggon I agree with his assessment of fruits and vegetables:

"Vegetables and fruits - Besides starchy plants for fuel and micronutrients, eat a variety of different colored plants of whatever you like and tolerate. Think hormesis. Some is better than none, but neither big salads nor fruit to excess will save your life. You're not a gorilla, you're an omnivore"

In general I treat vegetables and fruits as condiments.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234