Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too much fruit - bad? page 2

Ribbons is offline Senior Member

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    raspberries & heavy cream is, like, my favorite meal right now.
    Mine is Strawberries & coconut milk.

But as for the question from the OP. I thought "hey, let's see what Mark has to say." Found a couple relevant articles....

In "The Definitive Guide to Sugar" he addresses fructose and Fruit Sugar separately and under fruit sugar admits it's a tricky question because "Different fruits contain varying ratios of fructose, glucose and sucrose" and to go for lower fructose fruits, but "Keep in mind, however, that lower fructose ratio fruits can be higher in total sugar."

And links to "The Best Low-Carb Fruits (and the Worst)".
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Don't forget to balance the view and also read the counter argument.
    Primal Wisdom: Paleo Basics: Fructose Fact Vs. Fiction

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Check again, the liver converts fructrose to both Glycogen of Fatty acids depending on what it feels the best option is, the preffered direction is Glycogen, but if we overload with fructose it goes to the fats, just because the liver is desperate to clear the fructose, just like it does with the glucose. The other issue with fructose is it blocks the leptin receptors so we don't get that full feeling and just keep gorging, this may be related to hibernation and coming winter so we can gorge on fruits in late summer and build up our fat stores.
    Overall fructose as whole fruit is not an issue as long as that is not all we eat, eat your main meals as savory & have whole fruits in between as top up snacks, I avoid juicers all together because they remove essential fibre and allow rapid uptake of carbohydrate which effectively makes everything high GI.
    I like the taste & texture of eating whole foods.
    This

Also, there is a difference between fructose directly from fruit (which has fiber) and fructose from corn syrup in processed foods. Can you overdo fructose? Yep, you sure can. Your liver can only process so much fructose in a day. Over consumption is toxic to the liver in physiologically the exact same way as alcohol.

That said, I eat fruit every day. Specifically blueberries and plums. I don't eat a lot, but they are a staple. When I want something sweet, I grab a small handful of blueberries and get my "candy" on. It won't kill you, and the nutrients are quite good for you! I've found that my body regulates it's fruit intake really well. My tastebuds are so different that super sweet/sugary fruit satisfies me in pretty low doses.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    GAHHHHHH!

STOP OVER THINKING THIS!

Fruit rocks. If you like it, eat it. If you're eating a ton of fruit you're already WAY ahead of all those people chugging soda all day. If it starts to make you feel like crap, or your body says "Dear God, no more fruit!" then lay off.

It's not that hard, people.

Dwayne is offline Junior Member
    I think, too much fruit is not bad for us. In fact, fruits have various health benefits that can give to us. Donít worry, if we eat too much fruit, we can just withdraw it. Fruits can give us a healthy and strong body.

Dwayne is offline Junior Member
    Most fruits have a lot of acid and fruit sugar, so as with everything you can stuff in your mouth, don't overdo it.
    A health campaign from my area suggests six fruits per day. If you can't go with that few, add up with bananas that's not too ripe yet.

skyegirl is offline Junior Member
    6 fruits a day sounds like way too much to me.

For a long time now I have been eating one portion a day of a small amounts of berries such as strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Instead of fruit I eat lots of green vegetables and also a few cherry tomatoes every day (technically also a fruit). I have been wondering about the pros and cons of eating a bit more fruit and I am going to experiment with having one portion of a higher fructose/sugar fruit such as an apple of a banana every day. My idea was to have it as a dessert straight after my evening meal. I thought this might help to lower the insulin response.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables on average are mostly carbs. No one here is afraid of them. Many people here eat potatoes. Yet so many are still afraid of fruit.

skyegirl is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you are very carbohydrate intolerant, have metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes then you do have to take care not to eat too many carbs. Veggies like cabbage, kale, spinach, cucumber, courgette, brocolli etc are low in digestible carbs but high in fibre and don't cause blood sugar to rise. Fruit and potatoes are much higher in digestible carbs and for those of use trying to keep our blood sugars low then these foods can cause it to spike. That is why I am increasing my fruit intake very slowly and gradually to see how my body responds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast