Thread: Adding veggies back in after going carnivore.... page

stop_hammertime Guest

Primal Fuel

Has anyone had difficulty digesting veggies after excluding them for long periods?

I remember I had a very hard time with dairy after being vegan for years. I want to make sure I am able to eat a good amount of veggies when the weight loss is done.

Any experience?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Through the winter I went carnivore for a while. No real issues eating fruits and veggies again. Maybe it depends on how long you go without them. I only ever went a week or two. Longer periods might be different.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

As Tarlach seems to be one of our reigning carnivores, perhaps we should ask him. Tarlach???

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Looking forward to discussion on this as I've been *considering* adding some plant matter back into my diet -- the hard part is finding the ones with the least toxins! OMG CASSAVA? "When eaten raw, the human digestive system will convert this to cyanide poison. Even two cassava roots contain a fatal dose."

Jezwyn over at Girl Gone Primal added veggies back after a prolonged period of carnivory, and said her strategy was just to dive instead of trying to ease in (though if I recall she's off them again now, for weight loss). I'd do the same -- don't go for huge quantities, just add what you want and see what happens. Personally I think the best bets would be onion, garlic, and homemade sauerkraut (yay probiotics, yay happy gut flora!). The sauerkraut I'd leave raw since it's fermented, but otherwise I'd cook all my veggies at least lightly, since that seems to reduce the toxicity -- can't think of a single plant I've found so far that's healthier raw than cooked, though maybe someone has an example.

Tarlach is offline Member

I'm not permanently carnivorous, but I don't have any issues eating veggies after periods without.

They just make me hungry and I feel better without them.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

stop_hammertime Guest

Ahh, that is a relief. Makes it easier for me just to take the plunge.

Thank you guys for your input!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

I was Zero Carb for over a year and in February started adding back in vegetables, sour cream, raw cheeses, strained goat yogurt, and starchy root vegetables(turnip, rutabaga, celeric etc)

the change.. i dont poo poo more per-say but my poo poo is much softer and larger.

strange, my bad gas problem went AWAY after adding veggies back...my weight initially dropped now has leveled out with starchy veggies pretty often. i LOVE rutabage fries, hashbrowns, smashed with butter ...anyway pretty much.

i have since dropped raw cheeses because my face was breaking out and i was eating like 30 oz of dairy a day.

now i use the strained yogurt, sour cream, and mascarpone and i dropped cheese, cottage cheese, and feta...

anyways... i didnt feel any different besides i have a DAMNED lot more clarity, mental awareness, energy, and less achy joints, better breathing now...yeah in a nutshell i despise the ZC mantra even though i lived it for over a year. you cannot possibly convince me that anyone in history was EVER zero carb, nor that it will effectively and evolutionarily speaking produce offspring and reproduction

Dr. Brian Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I agree MalPaz. The traditional Inuit (Eskimo) diet is probably the closest we can look at as being almost zero carb...their diet is almost all animal protein and fat, but they do eat berries and some other plants when they are in season. Another traditional high protein/fat diet is the Maasai tribe in Africa, but they consume raw cow's milk and cornmeal along with their high-meat diet. In my opinion the benefits of including some vegetables and fruits/berries far outweigh any risks.