Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please critique my plan to add muscle and lose fat page

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member

Please critique my plan to add muscle and lose fat

I know this is a common theme but I'm trying to pull a lot of info from a lot of different sources and boil it down to something simple. Like most out of shape people who are trying to become in shape people, I'd like to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I'm a 40 year old male and am about 20-25lbs overweight. Here's what I've put together so far. Of course I have slip ups that cause me to deviate from what I've outlined below but this is what I'm trying to do. Am I making any big mistakes that may hold me back?

Workout:
    2x per week: lift heavy weights. Total body workout each time. All compound exercises like bench press, lat pull down, and squats. I'm experimenting with mixing in stuff like power clean and press just for the full body exhaustion that I feel after.

I do sprints once or twice a week, jog 5k about once a week (I know this is frowned upon but I like it, it's therapeutic, I try to keep it slow so that I don't get my heart rate too high). I usually hike in the mountains for 3 or 4 hours about once a week. I like to play half court basketball when I get the chance. I try to bike to the store instead of drive when I can.

Diet:
    Non-weight training days: I'm following the Primal plan and eat about 1500 to 2000 calories; IF almost all the time, eat only one meal in the evening most of the time but if I eat more than once it is definitely within a 4-5 hour window (3-8pm), I've even done a couple 40+ hour fasts. Low carb(>50); eat mostly meat veggies and eggs. Avoid fruit and starches and all things non-primal.

Weight training days: I eat more on these days, usually 3 meals and a post workout snack; probably closer to 3,000 to 3,500 calories. I start eating around lunch time to have energy for my afternoon workouts. Same foods as above but I include starches like sweet potatoes,fruit, and 2% Greek yogurt.

I appreciate any help.

Too much micromanaging.

Just lift heavy and eat meat.

The simpler the better.

Listen to your body and trust it.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you are starting weight training use Starting Strength or Stronglifts. A good structured program for the first 6 months is probably the best way to start.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    x2 on the Stronglifts, you can start with 3x5 and work up to 5x5s. Listen to your body and rest when it tells you you need a break.

Regarding the "diet plan" I would suggest against reducing calories on non-weight days. Most of your muscle gains are built in the days AFTER your lift. My $.02 is have a more stabilized food intake day to day, maybe 2,500 to 3,000 cal/day. Starches are going to do more good in the morning or evening before your workout, not right before.

Eat plenty of clean protein, veggies, listen to your body, and have fun (just like Dado said).

If you are untrained (never lifted anything in your life) then anything you do with heavy barbells will shock the heck out of your system.

Shock it. Feed it with Milk, chicken, just anything that's not bread and cheap sugars.

You'll grow like an animal, which is what you are, an animal.

But I used to endorse Starting Strength as the best beginner text on lifting weights.

Now I have learned more and I say that "Beyond Brawn" should be your first introduction to strength training, then you go with Starting Strength for the specifics.

1. Beyond Brawn, take two weeks to read it five or six times over.

2. Starting Strength, take two weeks to read it and practice with an empty bar

3. Eat like an animal.

Then you bang that shit. Summer 2013 you're pulling fake-breasted Italian women at the Jersey shore ON DEMAND, SON!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    All in all, that plan looks very solid. Regarding the exercise, you're keeping things very basic, and that's a good thing. The plan is basically to lift heavy a couple times a week, sprint on occasion, and do some play on occasion (in the form of sports, hiking, and "therapeutic" occasional runs). Excellent, and sounds fun!

The main focus of your diet is simply to eat quality primal foods, and that's a good thing too.

I would say if there is anything to critique it might be a slight over-emphasis on such details as caloric goals, eating windows, and restricting carbs to VLC levels on specific days. These things might be helpful, and if you want to experiment with them then by all means do, you'll probably learn some cool stuff about yourself along the way. All in all though, complexity and rigidness tend to be the downfall of many otherwise well-constructed eating plans, so just be aware of that.

Really though, your plan is solid, good luck!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    All in all, that plan looks very solid. Regarding the exercise, you're keeping things very basic, and that's a good thing. The plan is basically to lift heavy a couple times a week, sprint on occasion, and do some play on occasion (in the form of sports, hiking, and "therapeutic" occasional runs). Excellent, and sounds fun!

The main focus of your diet is simply to eat quality primal foods, and that's a good thing too.

I would say if there is anything to critique it might be a slight over-emphasis on such details as caloric goals, eating windows, and restricting carbs to VLC levels on specific days. These things might be helpful, and if you want to experiment with them then by all means do, you'll probably learn some cool stuff about yourself along the way. All in all though, complexity and rigidness tend to be the downfall of many otherwise well-constructed eating plans, so just be aware of that.

Really though, your plan is solid, good luck!
    Problem is that his plan is too solid, it's TOO thought out.

You need to give yourself room to breathe. If you settle into too rigid of a program, some slight deviation might cause unnecessary stress to your Mental, and you stand a chance of slipping down the slippery slope.

You keep it simple and this gives you room for the brain to adapt to individual variation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast