Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please critique my plan to add muscle and lose fat page 2

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the thoughts. The notes about over thinking definitely hit home because that is my personality and it has made things difficult in the past. That's one of the things I like about what I'm doing because it might sound complicated above but it really is simpler than it sounds. I provided the details to help explain my mindset (and like I said, I'm a detail oriented person). I'm not counting calories on a daily basis, I've done it on fitday.com a couple of times just to see where I'm at.

I could sum up my plan much simpler by saying:

*Left heavy a couple times a week.
    *Sprint regularly.
    *Stay active as much as possible.
    *Eat Primal and IF but make sure I eat more good carbs/protein/calories on workout days to take full advantage of energy and muscle growth.

I'm not new to lifting, I've been doing it on and off for 20 or 25 years but I've never made huge gains. I'd lift for a few months or maybe even a year and then fall off for a few months or a year, lose strength and eat poorly and then start over. For example when I was 20-25 years old I'd probably work out at 135-145 lbs when I'd bench press but now I work out at about 185 lbs. At a high point I think I worked out with sets @ 205 lbs. I've never been one to test my one rep max so I just remember what I'd load on the bar for workouts. I know it's a cliche to talk about what my bench press numbers are but I use it only because it's pretty much a universal number that everyone can relate to. I'd tell you I squat at 225 lbs but you'd have no idea if I go ass to calves or if I'm doing half squats.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by dgreenwood; 06-10-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    With all due respect the reason you might not have made large gains from lifting is you might be undercutting your recovery. Muscles don't get built on workout days, they get built during recovery (1 & 2 days after lifting). So by limiting calories and protein on those days you can basically prevent your muscles from growing.

If anything you should be upping your food & water intake (primally of course), and sleep in the recovery period.

In short I think it should look like this:
    *Sprint regularly.
    *Eat Primal

Save IF until everything else is clicking along, for me it seems to happen by accident. I.e. I'm being eating great, accidently miss a meal or two, still exercise and realize I haven't eaten but I still free great so I skip another meal.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you can't do a pull-up you are new to lifting IMHO. You may have done a lot on and off in the past but you need a focused program with focused gains to get strong now.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    If you can't do a pull-up you are new to lifting IMHO. You may have done a lot on and off in the past but you need a focused program with focused gains to get strong now.
    I can do pullups. At the gym today I did 5 pullups just to loosen up before I played basketball. I usually do lat pull downs because I can't do too many more than 5 pullups on my first set and it's down hill from there so I have a hard time feeling like I got a good back workout after 4 sets of pullups (5, 3, 2, 2 ?)

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    My apologies...but I would stick to pull-ups rather than the lat machine you will get a much better workout even if it means doing your 5 pullups, then your 3 (but add two slow negatives) then your 2 (but add 3 slow negatives) etc.

I still stand by starting strength or stronglifts if you are just starting out, if you feel you are back in the groove maybe madcow or another advanced routine.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    With all due respect the reason you might not have made large gains from lifting is you might be undercutting your recovery. Muscles don't get built on workout days, they get built during recovery (1 & 2 days after lifting). So by limiting calories and protein on those days you can basically prevent your muscles from growing.

If anything you should be upping your food & water intake (primally of course), and sleep in the recovery period.

In short I think it should look like this:
    *Sprint regularly.
    *Eat Primal

Save IF until everything else is clicking along, for me it seems to happen by accident. I.e. I'm being eating great, accidently miss a meal or two, still exercise and realize I haven't eaten but I still free great so I skip another meal.
    That extra 20 lbs of body fat is really bothering me and I'd like to get rid of it. Every time I've ever had the mentality that you have to eat plenty to get strong I've always gotten fat. Granted I've never tried it with primal food so maybe that will go better.

IFing doesn't take a lot of effort, it kind of comes naturally to me, especially since I started primal eating. I actually have to eat when I'm not hungry on workout days to make sure I get the extra calories in. Ever since I went primal I just don't seem that hungry and I often just get tired of eating in the middle of a meal and stop. The only time I feel really hungry is after lifting and I usually stay hungry the rest of the day so I keep eating. I eat when I'm hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    My apologies...but I would stick to pull-ups rather than the lat machine you will get a much better workout even if it means doing your 5 pullups, then your 3 (but add two slow negatives) then your 2 (but add 3 slow negatives) etc.

I still stand by starting strength or stronglifts if you are just starting out, if you feel you are back in the groove maybe madcow or another advanced routine.
    No need to apologize, I was just clarifying. Another reason I don't do pullups is that I usually do back after chest so I'm already a little tired and that 5 pullup first set turns into 3. Maybe I should switch it up and do back first because I like the idea of doing pullups instead of lat pulldowns, that's what I've been working up to. It is about time for me to switch up my routine so maybe I'll give it a shot. I've also put a chinup bar in my garage so I can try to get better at them but haven't made too much progress. I think a little extra muscle and 10 lbs less of body fat would put full sets of pullups right in my wheelhouse and I'm definitely working towards that.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would definitley do pull-ups before chest. Best to put the most energy into working the largest muscle groups.

But I like your plan, it sounds solid to me. The simpler the better, and it sounds simple to me. I would also make sure that you are getting plenty of carbs straight after training, you want the anabolic effects of an Insulin spike without fat gain, and eating like this delivers.

And I agree with doing pull-ups rather than using a machine, the more you stick with them the better you will get at them. You can always do a few negatives once you max out on your full reps, it will get you over a sticking point pretty quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12