Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF And Eating Disorders page

IF And Eating Disorders

Primal Fuel
    I have a question for all of you, especially anyone who has experience with any sort of eating disorder. I had a brief stint during a chaotic time in my life where I would starve myself, eating maybe one meal and one snack over a two or three day period, because I felt empowered to know that when I felt those hunger pangs I could choose to ignore them. In a time where the rest of my life was out of control (parents separating, me being shuffled around between friends and relatives houses all summer, etc etc), it felt good to feel hungry and ignore it.

Now I'm going primal, and I know now that it's okay and good for your body to skip breakfast if you're not hungry, and do some IF (especially as I'm trying to lose weight). I'm just worried a little that IFing will morph into the same sort of thing as before. Does anyone have advice on how to distinguish healthy IF vs. unhealthy deprivation, or maybe some guidelines (eat at least xxx per day/wk), or a way that YOU eat only what you need and avoid compulsive eating, yet don't slip into undereating? I just really want this to be a healthy and positive experience for me. I can go a full day and only eat one meal and just ignore the times that I'm hungry - I wasn't doing that before switching, but since I'm only a week into primal I wonder if it's less about being a fat burning beast and more about enjoying the control and all that.

Any tips and experiences would be awesome! Thanks!
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Not really sure what you're asking. Is it ok/healthy to skip most meals for a couple days at at time, from time to time? Sure. Can it trigger issues with folks who are already susceptible to eating disorder issues? Sure.

I think this may require the kind of answer only the individual involved can properly provide.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Does IF cause binge eating or overeating for you? Because for me it does. I also kind of had an eating disorder.
    I want to start IF'ing but it goes wrong most of the time. The night before I want to skip breakfast I can't handle the idea of skipping breakfast which makes me overeat. So basically I now tell myself that I will try to skip breakfast but if I can't then so be it. This takes the stress away and makes everything so much easier
    Billie trips balls

jammies is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people around here have recommended that you do not do IF if you have a history of eating disorders. Particularly while transitioning to a new diet - which can already stir things up for some people.

Personally, I would avoid IF for now.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    A lot of people around here have recommended that you do not do IF if you have a history of eating disorders. Particularly while transitioning to a new diet - which can already stir things up for some people.

Personally, I would avoid IF for now.
    I hate when people advice against it because of a disorder history. It's kind of like saying "We can IF because we are normal but you can't because you are weak and mentally retarted"

That makes me want to IF even more
    But I'll stop talking about me because this thread isn't about me
    Billie trips balls

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I hate when people advice against it because of a disorder history. It's kind of like saying "We can IF because we are normal but you can't because you are weak and mentally retarted"

That makes me want to IF even more
    But I'll stop talking about me because this thread isn't about me
    An eating disorder is a medical condition not some type of weakness. Why take a chance of triggering the recurrence of a life-threatening illness when it is not necessary?

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I can't eat nightshades without getting a terrible flare up. So I don't eat them. It's not a sign that I am too "weak" to eat them. My biochemistry can't handle them.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlTigress View Post
    I have a question for all of you, especially anyone who has experience with any sort of eating disorder. I had a brief stint during a chaotic time in my life where I would starve myself, eating maybe one meal and one snack over a two or three day period, because I felt empowered to know that when I felt those hunger pangs I could choose to ignore them. In a time where the rest of my life was out of control (parents separating, me being shuffled around between friends and relatives houses all summer, etc etc), it felt good to feel hungry and ignore it.

Now I'm going primal, and I know now that it's okay and good for your body to skip breakfast if you're not hungry, and do some IF (especially as I'm trying to lose weight). I'm just worried a little that IFing will morph into the same sort of thing as before. Does anyone have advice on how to distinguish healthy IF vs. unhealthy deprivation, or maybe some guidelines (eat at least xxx per day/wk), or a way that YOU eat only what you need and avoid compulsive eating, yet don't slip into undereating? I just really want this to be a healthy and positive experience for me. I can go a full day and only eat one meal and just ignore the times that I'm hungry - I wasn't doing that before switching, but since I'm only a week into primal I wonder if it's less about being a fat burning beast and more about enjoying the control and all that.

Any tips and experiences would be awesome! Thanks!

Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today
    (A caveat - I don't recommend intermittent fasting for anyone with an eating disorder without some extra support and consideration).
    When you're a fat burning beast, you will have the control.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    In my case I had a binge eating disorder with bread where I'd eat about 15 loaves almost everyday for about a year, though I managed to stay lean (but not very healthy), I would then compensate on my next meals by eating very little so I decided to stop eating it and haven't touched it since February (more a less when I discovered about the primal lifestyle) - I then started IF (leangains) in April and haven't had any problems with IF so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    An eating disorder is a medical condition not some type of weakness. Why take a chance of triggering the recurrence of a life-threatening illness when it is not necessary?
    well it's just something that I want to do. For health reasons, but also because I'd love to stay in my bed a little longer in the morning instead of having to make breakfast
    Billie trips balls

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I hear you on the IF. Personally I think it's a good idea to wait a little bit before you do it. I was doing really well with the Primal way, then I started listening to people saying they only eat twice a day, threw an IF in and it triggered a whole binging episode. Up til then I was eating a lot, and snacking, but I was actually gaining muscle and losing fat. The thought of shedding more fat by IFing was very alluring, but I don't think I was ready for it.

I'm not saying that it will be like that for you, but I think it's sensible to take time to contemplate why you are doing it. I think when people have a history of disordered eating it's sensible to really take your time adjusting to the new diet before you throw in a curve ball like an IF. From tomorrow I'm back on the wagon, but I think it will be a long time before I try another IF.

This forum has been a real eye opener for me, cos' I see how male eating disorders manifest differently to females. With women it's about being an thin as possible; with men it's about being lean and muscular. Both amount to the same thing - counting calories, and obsessively thinking about food and your weight. It's a good idea to read Mark's info more than what people on the forum say - he's found the way that works for him: the rest of us are still muddling through

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast