Thread: Hubby won't convert; will he get fat? page

KatieKakes is offline Junior Member

Hubby won't convert; will he get fat?

Primal Fuel
    I've been on my primal journey for about 3 weeks. I'm down 10 pounds and I feel incredible. I can't imagine going back to Weight Watchers. But my husband isn't buying into my new lifestyle (he hasn't read the blog, or the book). If he's eating carbs and following the normal SAD diet during the day, then I make him a Primal, high fat dinner at night, is he going to gain weight? I have been trying to keep his portion low fat (the way we were previously eating) by steaming the broccoli and putting a pat of butter only on my plate, or preparing his chicken with the skin off and mine with the skin on for fear of this, but it limits me from really eating the way I want. I hope my success will inspire him to change, but what should I do until then?

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    If he's eating carbs and following the normal SAD diet during the day, then I make him a Primal, high fat dinner at night, is he going to gain weight?
    Very possible, yep, as from your description it sounds like a perfect storm of too many calories and too much fat.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to worry about macronutrients in your husband's primal meal. There's no need to withhold butter or chicken skin. Maybe he will gain a bit of weight and maybe he won't. But he will likely be healthier.

What is the "SAD" in your husband's case?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    If you make the "primal" meal a truly rich, full fat meal, you might speed up his willingness to adopt the primal lifestyle. "You mean I get to eat like this DAILY?"

Yes, yes you do.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    And it should become pretty obvious that it's working for you. I definitely wouldn't push it.

I've been Primal for about a year, and it was only recently that The Boyfriend started eating eggs instead of cereal for breakfast. He finally realized that he wasn't hungry after he scrambled up a few in butter, but he always was soon after eating cereal. He still has a sandwich for lunch, but you never know when that might change.

Balanced Bites has a really great guide as to what foods are Paleo. I would just print out the first one ("Guide To: Paleo Foods") and stick it on the fridge with no comment at all - for your own use, of course. If you get pushy, our natural reaction is to push back, whether we agree or not, and never give it a chance. Maybe he'll see the guide on the fridge, realize he likes a lot of those foods, see how you're getting to be smoking hot and give it a chance!

Useful Guides | Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Coaching & Seminars
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

KatieKakes is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    What is the "SAD" in your husband's case?
    He sometimes eats cereal for breakfast, but often he skips. If he takes his lunch (not often) its a PBJ, some cheeze-its, a pudding cup and a piece of fruit. More often he eats out--could be a wrap from chick-fil-a, a sub and chips, barbecue, anything really. Hes a little chubby now... 5' 10" and 180, but hes been the same for a couple of years, ever since we moved in together and he stopped eating (so much) like a bachelor.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Is your husband a child? Cereal, pbj, pudding cup? At least get him to switch to oatmeal and a turkey sandwich! You've got your work cut out for you, but if you feed him tasty meals, I'm sure he'll be over it in no time!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Don't make super fatty dinners. Make them lean and healthy and add any extra fats to your own. That's what I did after my boyfriend told me very nicely that he just couldn't eat all that fat. It worked out well for us. Even now, if I make a fatty pork roast I'll just cut off the biggest lean part for him. I also set things out serve-yourself style so he can choose the portion sizes he prefers. Meat as a condiment and all that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    My husband isn't really on board but, he was okay with at least axing gluten and bad oils from the house. He still eats fast food twice a week and has cereal about 3x a week for breakfast. Anything else, he cooks what I make and he never complains. He has lost weight. Hell, I can almost see his abs. Jerk.

Hmm, pudding cups, cheese-its......for lunch?? Okay, Hubby hasn't eaten like that in about 10yrs. Gahh.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    My husband isn't really on board but, he was okay with at least axing gluten and bad oils from the house. He still eats fast food twice a week and has cereal about 3x a week for breakfast. Anything else, he eats what I make and he never complains. He has lost weight. Hell, I can almost see his abs. Jerk.

Hmm, pudding cups, cheese-its......for lunch?? Okay, Hubby hasn't eaten like that in about 10yrs. Gahh.