Thread: New to exercise, Physical job, Overtraining? page

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member

New to exercise, Physical job, Overtraining?

Primal Fuel
    I have a fairly physical job as a busboy, which includes carrying kegs, buckets of ice and walking around like a maniac, as well as carrying crazy piles of dishes.

Anyway, I just started YAYOG beginner, and after misunderstanding ladders, and confusing sets and reps, I ended up wondering why I could only do one set each time before hitting muscle failure. Needless to say the next day my triceps were burning. I could barely lift them above my head. Not helping the matter, I had an 11 hour shift that next day, and now, two days after my workout, which should be my next workout (Day 4 first week) the top half of my body is burning in a way that even typing hurts my arms.

Should I keep forging ahead and working out according to schedule or should I take a break entirely, or just a break from exercising those muscles until they stop hurting? To be clear it is just soreness, but I have never been this sore in my life.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Health in all honor, but if you are paid to do something then you should be able to do that something well without risking 1) injury, 2) pain or 3) dropping that crazy pile of porcelain on the kitchen floor because of muscle soreness kicking in. I'd stay away from rigorous work until the muscle soreness is beginning to go away. Your muscles need rest to build up after the workout, and if they still hurt it means that you are still building. Wait until the soreness is slightly detectable but not entirely gone, and then work out again.

To be fair, yesterday was fine. I was able to do my job decently, and I had no idea anything was wrong till I woke up this morning to pain in my arms and chest area. Can I at leas work out my legs/core? I get kind of restless if I do nothing.

Oh, and thanks for the quick response.

Yea, it's possible you are overtrain, but over the long-term your body has no choice but to adapt.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy24 View Post
    I have a fairly physical job as a busboy, which includes carrying kegs, buckets of ice and walking around like a maniac, as well as carrying crazy piles of dishes.

Anyway, I just started YAYOG beginner, and after misunderstanding ladders, and confusing sets and reps, I ended up wondering why I could only do one set each time before hitting muscle failure. Needless to say the next day my triceps were burning. I could barely lift them above my head. Not helping the matter, I had an 11 hour shift that next day, and now, two days after my workout, which should be my next workout (Day 4 first week) the top half of my body is burning in a way that even typing hurts my arms.

Should I keep forging ahead and working out according to schedule or should I take a break entirely, or just a break from exercising those muscles until they stop hurting? To be clear it is just soreness, but I have never been this sore in my life.
    BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 4): THE DOSE-RESPONSE RELATIONSHIP OF EXERCISE

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I would look at what aspects of exercise are present or lacking in your work.

For instance, mine has plenty of full body movement (walking fast, climbing in and out of a large lifted truck, calf raises to look over walls) but almost no strength components. I should be lifting weights and not running. You may need to up things like sprints or whatever your day is missing and either cut back or ignore other parts that are already in a normal work day (overhead presses, etc).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    With a high-rep, long hours job like that I'd focus on some pure strength work to compliment it. Something very simple like Wendlers 5-3-1 would work well. One main exercise per session, with a strength focus.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    With such a physical job, you are already working out every day. Any additional exercise may well be superfluous. Unless you have set goals for yourself, like a certain number of push-ups, etc., you probably do not require additional physical exertion. Most "fitness" programs are designed for people who live sedentary lifestyles. You are already enrolled in a perfect fitness program, slow movement, medium-weight lifting and balance - the benefits of your job are far-reaching. And the constant low-level wear and tear on your body probably does not need to be added to by a fitness plan on the side. So, again, if you are looking to get huge muscles and compete with other fitness junkies, yes - you should do extra workouts and eat a lot of meat. But for general health, you are already on target, IMO.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ended up doing my leg and core muscle workout, since those muscles were well rested. It felt great, and too be honest, the only reason I want to work out is because I want to build strength. I want to lift more boxes at once, I want to have better balance, I want to be more flexible. At work I never do something until exhaustion. I Never get to feel total exertion. I love that end of workout feeling.

I also have a pretty frail frame, and I would love so much to make it even slightly larger.