Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Lunches- What do I do now? page

CaveGirl Guest

Primal Fuel

Anyone know what are good primal options I can bring to work with me and microwave (or not) to have for lunch?

I'm new at this primal way of eating but am seriously giving it a shot. I have in my freezer right now things like scallops, shrimp, wild salmon, duck breast, chunks of smoked duck and some buffalo patties. I am planningon picking up some grassfed beef/bison and some pastured pork at the farmer's market this weekend to round it out.

All my lunches have been things like pastas, pasta salads, rice and beans with meat, dill potatoes with chciken types of meals (so yeah, carb heavy and it shows). I'm tired of ending all my meals feeling "carbatose" so I want to try something new but I'm not sure what meals/kinds of foods would taste ok after sitting in my fridge overnight, office mini-fridge for half a day and being warmed up in the microwave.

Sorry this post is so long but I really want to go primal and being outside of my home makes my meal-planning a little harder.

Thanks much!

Anonymous Guest

I generally bring salads, and that works pretty well. I'll roast a chicken or chicken breasts and cut up the meat and put that on top, since it doesn't need to be heated. I usually make a week's worth of meat at once - which is 3-4 meals for me.

I've also roasted vegetables and brought those to work, which worked pretty well. Had one container with meat of some kind and the other container with vegetables.

Spaghetti sauce over vegetables & meat works nice. I also don't mind salsa over vegetables & meat. Biggest downside to spaghetti sauce & salsa is the sodium in it.

depending on how much you like to cook, you could find some indian curries - they are generally better the following day. I've made this before:

http://katskitchentalk.blogspot.com/2008/01/indian-spiced-cauliflower-and-potatoes.html

But, don't use potatoes. I added some carrots and it worked out pretty well.

egmutza Guest

There are, of course, many options. One quick primal lunch I've been throwing together when I'm in a hurry is a large pouch (7oz) of wild salmon, mixed with an avocado and a dash sunflower seeds. Surprisingly tasty and filling. For dessert, I usually bring a small container (1/2 cup) of mixed frozen berries that thaw out in the fridge by lunch time.

CaveGirl Guest

Great ideas, I would probably hold off on the curries though. Small corporate office (I'm the receptionist and tend to have to eat lunch at my desk) so I don't think they would like the strong aroma of curry (although I myself love it!)

Shine is offline Member

I end up not really eating lunch because I eat such a nice fatty breakfast that I'm fine until dinner. But on days that I have something planned after work that will delay my supper, I will bring something for midday. Since I have errands tonight, I snagged an avocado, smoked salmon, walnuts, and a few strawberries. (I guess I could have just stolen your lunch, egmutza!)

grandma is offline Member

I do the salad thing. I bring a greens from home and keep OO/V in my desk drawer. I usually bring protein from the night before. Today, there wasn't an appropriate left-over, so I am having sardines. Which I also keep in my desk. I guess the smell might nix those for you

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

morrieb Guest

My standard lunch for work is sliced lunch meat, generally chicken or turkey breast, salami, and a few slices of cheese (I do dairy). Sliced veggies like red peppers and carrots etc and some hummus (not primal for the hardcore) to dip in. Generally a piece of fruit and some trail mix for dessert.

This all keeps well, doesn't have to be cooked, and when I went to school after work, I'd eat half at work and half at school. Hard boiled eggs are good too.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

I tend to cook once a week and portion everything out into containers for the fridge. Grilling things is one of the best methods of prep I've found for having food last through the work week in the fridge. If you do decide to make other dishes, be careful using tomatoes or tomato based sauces with things like squashes or broccoli, by day 4 or 5, the vege's end up 'pickled' (in smell and consistancy only, kind of stomach turning if you ask me). I recommend putting tomato sauces in separate containers and pouring them on just before eating. Whatever you don't eat, you can freeze, and preportioned frozen containers work well also. If you want, you can pre-freeze them, that way no need to refrigerate, and they should be mostly thawed before lunch. I also keep almonds on hand at work to snack on, which can help with the amount of food you need to bring for lunch.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I bring my left over meat and vegetable from the night before. This week I made a mess of pork chops so that's been the bulk of my lunches for a few days- along with saurkraut. I also bring fruit, nuts, sometimes greek yogurt etc.

mseibel is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

I bring a spinach and chicken salad for lunch. I am also into soups. There are a lot of excellent recipes out there which are really easy and turn out great. Basically put some vegetables in a food processor and call it soup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast