Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best walking shoes for knee pain? page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Best walking shoes for knee pain?

Shop Now
    What are the best walking shoes for knee pain sufferers? I overpronate when I walk, as one of my leg is set in my hip so, that my right foot turns-in (also have had laser surgeries on heel for plantar's warts, leaving a scar that covers my heel). I have crunchy or "crepitus" knees, that have recently started hurting from my long walks. I currently wear a very low profile Puma, but clearly I need something more supportive.
    I would REALLY< REALLY< REALLY appreciate some suggestions!!! I'm going shopping today

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Honestly that helped my knee pain was going without shoes or VFF when I have to wear shoes. At work I have to wear safety boots but otherwise I'm usually barefoot. I have had multiple knee surgeries so this is quite a breakthrough for me. But with your foot problems, might not be the best answer for you. Also check out the research and writings of Steven Robbins about going barefoot and shoes in general. Might be of some help.

Research of Steven Robbins, MD, barefoot, sedentary lifestyle, sedentary, shoes, minimalist shoes, barefoot shoes, injuries, injury prevention

Good luck.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

KatieKakes is offline Junior Member
    Have you been to a shoe store that actually fits you? There is a place in my area called Totally Running--they put you on a treadmill for about a minute and video the way your feet hit the ground, then map your feet to look at your arches. I was having really bad knee pain--to the point of wearing braces when I went for a run. Once I got fitted for shoes the pain went away. Now I wont wear any other tennis shoes. Mine are Saucony, but I know they sell multiple brands.

Barefoot.

Barefoot and minimal shoes really seem to cause me shin pain. I went to 6 different stores and ended up buying these: Reebok RealFlex Optimal - Women's - Running - Shoes - Black/Gravel
    Reebok Realflex optimal in grey. They fit my narrow foot, were very flexible, cushy in all the right places, hooray!!

P.S. thanks for the advice and supportive comments! I'll let you know how the Reeboks hold up after my walk tomorrow.

UPDATE: the shoes are amazing! I did my hour long walk today and, even *gasp* some sprinting! So far, knee feels good. Right shin hurts a bit, though, as that's my surgery foot and turned-in leg. I really need to work on my form!! Any advice on preventing shin pain for me?

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    A couple things that help with shin splints are pulling a towel with your toes. Lay a towel down on laminate or vinyl flooring then pull the towel towards you by flexing your toes.

Another exercise is using a resistance band, loop the band around something low to the ground and hook the handles onto your toes (you'll need to flex your toes back to your ankle to hold the handles in place). Slide your body away from the anchor point to make the band tight. Now point your foot (plantar flex) and then flex your foot (dorsiflex). Hold the dorsiflexed position for a count of 3. Repeat 3 sets of 8-12 reps on both feet.

And yes, bare feet for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    A couple things that help with shin splints are pulling a towel with your toes. Lay a towel down on laminate or vinyl flooring then pull the towel towards you by flexing your toes.

Another exercise is using a resistance band, loop the band around something low to the ground and hook the handles onto your toes (you'll need to flex your toes back to your ankle to hold the handles in place). Slide your body away from the anchor point to make the band tight. Now point your foot (plantar flex) and then flex your foot (dorsiflex). Hold the dorsiflexed position for a count of 3. Repeat 3 sets of 8-12 reps on both feet.

And yes, bare feet for sure.
    Thanks for your advice! I will start doing those exercises.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Also usually shin pain is caused by heel striking. Try to land mid/fore footed when you walk as well.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast