Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Sugar? page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

Too Much Sugar?

Primal Fuel
    Yikes! I just added up the daily sugar I eat from my unsweetened grapefruit juice, apple, frozen strawberries and yogurt. It is almost 80 grams. (I'm not sure if I should be including the 9 grams from yogurt?). On triglycerides.com they say to limit sugar to 50 grams daily. Should I cut back on my fruit intake?
    Last edited by Artbuc; 06-10-2012 at 07:16 AM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Are you meeting your goals? PB can be very high-carb, it is just low-toxin.

Juice, however, has a way of dumping sugar into you way faster than real fruit.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I would say you should cut back. I know others will jump on my case for that. We live in such a sugar-saturated culture that I think it is valuable to go for a period of time doing things completely opposite. It's worth it to see what happens to you to eat more fat and protein, less sugar. In my case, I was restored to a health and vitality I have never had before. Good luck to you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your goals? Are you overweight? If so, I would ditch the juice and keep the whole fruit.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Yikes! I just added up the daily sugar I eat from my unsweetened grapefruit juice, apple, frozen strawberries and yogurt. It is almost 80 grams. (I'm not sure if I should be including the 9 grams from yogurt?). On triglycerides.com they say to limit sugar to 50 grams daily. Should I cut back on my fruit intake?
    That depends on what your particular goals and needs are.

It also depends as on your medical situation -- I say that as you throw in a site called triglycerides.com -- which seems to imply yours are high.

If there are medical problems involved, I'd suggest you should discuss the matter with your doctor.

As for how carbohydrate consumption might vary with one's goals and needs, see Mark's Primal Blueprint Carbohydrate Curve:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

On the question, "should you include the sugar in your yoghurt?" --

... Yes, you should ... if you want to calculate a figure for total carbohydrate consumption for a day, that is. Such a figure would include the sugars and starches in all foods you consume. However, some carbohydrate calculators include all carbohydrate that's present in a foodstuff, and chemically that includes fiber, which, as you know, is indigestible, so the figure may come out a bit higher than it actually is.

On the question, "should you cut back on your fruit intake?" --

... That's entirely up to you. As I say, that depends on your medical situation (which I'm obviously not privy to), your particular goals and needs, and your personal judgment.

What I'd suggest you might think of doing is swapping out fruit juice for fruit. To be honest one might almost as well drink glucose solution as orange juice, since, being in liquid form and unimpeded by the need to break down the food, the sugar can get into your bloodstream really fast. Moreover, it's easy to over-consume where juice is concerned, since it would have to be a pretty small glass to be only the equivalent of a single piece of fruit.

I tried to check the glycemic index of grapefruit juice (since you mention that) and of grapefruit itself online. I found figures, but I don't know whether they're reliable, and unfortunately they come from different sources.

Harvard University says grapefruit has a glycemic index of 25:

Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health Publications

But the South Beach Diet claims grapefruit juice has a glycemic index of 48:

Glycemic Index Food Chart

For comparison Coca Cola has a GI of 63.
    Last edited by Lewis; 06-10-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I would say you are better to eat the fruit than drink the juice.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Yes you should cut back. How often do you fast?

Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    Yes you should cut back. How often do you fast?
    I don't fast but I eat supper between 2:30 & 3pm and don't again until breakfast at 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I don't fast but I eat supper between 2:30 & 3pm and don't again until breakfast at 4am.
    Throw a 24-hour fast in there, once every week, then you will have more room to play with the fruit sugars.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am 63, 5'8" and weigh 145 lbs. I have been on a vigorous exercise program and have lost 20 lbs since my last physical in Dec 2011. For years I had been on a super low fat high carb diet (except for frequent ice cream and cookie binges) and my trigs had increased from 66 to 140. Also, I had been eating huge quantities of vanilla non-fat yogurt which I now realize is loaded with sugar. No wonder my trigs were up. My TC and LDL have been elevated for my entire life at 240 and 160 respectively. HDL is 52. BP is 100/65 and at rest pulse is 50-55. My doc has been trying to get me on statins for years. I am trying to educate myself on the causes of CVD and improve my diet. I just found out about this forum and PB a few weeks ago. I have already made some big changes but still do not understand some of the basics. Eg, Robb Wolf says no dairy, but folks here seem to say dairy is ok. I have eliminated all grains except for 1/4 c of uncooked steel cut oats every morning. I will ditch them too after I my current stash is gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast