Thread: Staying primal while overseas... suggestions? page

perfexionist is offline Junior Member

Staying primal while overseas... suggestions?

Shop Now
    So, I'm leaving for Ireland for two weeks on Wednesday. Now, my dad is from Ireland so we visit fairly frequently, but this will be my first time there since going Paleo. The food there is, well, not very Paleo. Nana's brown bread, battered fish and chips, apple tarts, full Irish breakfasts... I love the stuff. But I am determined to try and stay as close to primal as I possibly can.

It would have been fairly easy if we were going to do what we usually do and stay at my Nana's house, since I'd have access to a kitchen and a large grocery store within walking distance. However, my grandmother is 94 and it's understandably tough on her to have five people staying with her for two weeks, so we're camping out at a hotel this time. This means we will be eating out almost all the time.

Breakfast should be fairly easy: eggs and rashers. Maybe some sausages, although they're likely highly processed so that'd be cheating a little. Other meals will be harder. I've never had to try to special order anything at a restaurant over there, so I don't know how they'd take to that. It's not usually that much of a problem here in the US, but we've got a totally different food culture.

Should worse come to worse, I may just not be eating a whole lot. I cheated last night and ate pasta and cake after my brother's high school graduation, and I started feeling pretty yucky... lots of gas, and I slept for hours that afternoon. I don't want to ruin my trip with symptoms like that. At the same time, I don't want to load up on salad (which would be the easiest solution, since salad is pretty universal), because then I'd be eating mostly carbs. Would it kill my metabolism if I skimped a little bit on the food for two weeks?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Id opt for Lots of seafood
    & depends on where you go but a lot of the sausages/bacon etc is much better quality than what you get in the US.
    Whereabouts are you staying? A lot of the hotels have there own restraunts or B&B setups. the good ones should give you a pretty heavy selection of food avalible for breakfast.
    & just ask if you can get difrent sides etc as your gluten intolerant. Most places are happy to oblige
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    You're going to one of the worst places in the world to accommodate this lifestyle! It's significantly better in the main cities (Dulin, Cork, Galway, LImerick), but in the towns and villages the words "gluten intolerant" don't exist. The Irish are really carb-heavy.

Salads are not our specialty (unless you're in one of the cities). You're probably going to have to go heavy on meat while you're there. Lunches might be a problem as we are totally dependent on sandwiches so you could go for soup. Most soups have potato in them but you should be able to get tomato and basil soup.

Good luck! And enjoy the trip

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how much Irish food differs from English food, but when I was in Birmingham earlier this year I found that British meals(at least breakfast and dinner) were pretty easy to eat primal/close to primal. Breakfast there were always eggs, bacon, sausages available, along with tomatoes and some other veggies(this was at hotels typically).

Dinner wasn't bad either - getting meat and potatoes(maybe technically not paleo/primal according to some, but better than a lot of alternatives) was pretty easy. Lunch was actually the tricky part - it seemed like sandwiches - bread, questionable fillings and all - were the norm.

So yeah - my suggestion would be to figure out what you're doing for lunches - breakfast and dinner should be easy by comparison.

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    If you do actually react to gluten you want to stay away from sausages, black puddings and the like. They do usually contain rusk. Depending on how sensitive you react sauces and soups can also be a problem. Your best bet for main meals is probably Indian food. You run into the danger of seed oils, but at least you can skip the gluten fairly easily. Carveries might also be an option, if you can find one that doesn't cook the meat into dust.
    But lunch? I can't think of anything to buy other than salad and soup that might be safe. Find your nearest shop or supermarket and stock up on nuts, cheese and cold cuts.