Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should you rest in between sets? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

How long should you rest in between sets?

Primal Fuel
    When I squat I rest about 6 minutes in between sets. When I hit all of my reps, and add weight on the next workout, should I also decrease my rest time?
    Should I aim to rest as short as possible while still hitting my reps?
    Billie trips balls

You should go for between 2 and 5 minutes.

6 is too much.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    You should go for between 2 and 5 minutes.

6 is too much.
    The SS book says up to 7 minutes
    Billie trips balls

Hey
    7 mins is a good starting point, but with any exercise the muscles become superbly good at performing over time. Reducing the rest allows for elevated intensity of workout to further progress. No less than 2 mins rest, however you can go down from 7 for sure
    Perky x

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    No one here can tell you how much rest you should be getting outside of the general recommendation of 3-7 minutes or so. The key thing is that you're still keeping the quality up between sets.

Starting Strength is a strength programme (although people frequently forget this). Your aim is to lift more not rest less.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    No one here can tell you how much rest you should be getting outside of the general recommendation of 3-7 minutes or so. The key thing is that you're still keeping the quality up between sets.

Starting Strength is a strength programme (although people frequently forget this). Your aim is to lift more not rest less.
    Coach Palfrey has the right of it here. A lot of it depends on program objectives. Pure strength programs generally use more rest in between sets and lower reps per set, other protocols oriented towards things like bodybuilding or muscular endurance may use more reps per set and/or shorter rest periods.

For my strength work(Deadlift/Squat/Bench/Overhead Press), average rest between sets for me is probably 4 minutes. If I'm doing bodyweight work, I typically use shorter rest intervals, or sometimes superset things - for instance, alternating pushups/dips with chin-ups/pull-ups.

babo91 is offline Junior Member
    Depends on the intensity at which your working at.

100% ( 1 rep max) - 5-10 minutes

90% ( 3 rep maz) - 4-5 minutes

80% (8 rep max) - 3 minutes

70% (12 rep ax) - 1-2 minutes

60% (15 rep max) - 1 minute

These are just guidelines and will change according to the individuals metabolic state, muscle fiber composition, training level etc.

Typically my rests in between are just enough to catch my breath, so under 30 seconds

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    As Coach points out, it depends a lot based upon your personal factors (which we have no idea about). Therefore, your question is a bad one.

A better question may be: "What is the minimum amount of rest do you need to perform at the desired potential?" In this case, since I believe you are following SS, it would be how much rest between sets do you need to perform the 3 working sets of 5 reps each? And I doubt anyone else would be able to answer it for you (due to your body composition and so on). However, you should be able to figure out an answer for yourself. What rest periods have you tested (and by tested, I mean actually measured using a time keeping instrument)? Have you recorded the results of various tests? Doing so will start you down the road to figuring out the answer for yourself.

Martin says 3-5 for strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast