Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on fat for cooking eggs page

mahligirl is offline Junior Member

Advice on fat for cooking eggs

Hi, I'm one of those weird people who hates the taste of butter. I also don't like the taste of coconut oil with eggs or veggies. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fat that doesn't have a strong taste to cook eggs in? I used to use Canola spray oil, but now can't stand the idea of putting that in my body at all. I'm not all that keen on using teflon pans either. Is an expeller pressed vegetable oil OK to use sometimes? I remember reading something somewhere by Mark where he said that was OK in moderation. Thank you!!!!

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    How about lard or bacon fat?

And have you tried clarified butter? While I like normal butter, I do not appreciate the smell of milk in it (I have always hated milk although I eat some fermented milk products). Consequently, clarified butter is a huge improvement for me.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I've used pork belly grease, duck fat, and whatever remains I collected from the meat I cooked before the eggs.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    I go for lard or tallow, or occasionally a bit of butter in the pan, too, if I'm low on either of the others.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    My new favorite fat is rendered duck fat from whole foods!

NobleSavage is offline Member
    You're not weird Mahligirl. I feel exactly the same. There is something about the mildness of butter + the mildness of eggs that tastes horrible. Its an unholy alliance!
    But yea, go with bacon fat. I've noticed that olive oil actually seems pretty alright also .. Although i'm not sure olive oil is good to cook with. Could anybody clarify that?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Olive oil is fine, but don't waste your extra virgin for cooking. I'd stay away from most vegetable oils myself, too high a risk of soybean oil or claims that it's expeller pressed when it's not. I tend to use bacon grease, sausage grease, beef drippings, or, twisted as I am, I love ghee with garlic red wine vinegar to cook my eggs.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

You could just boil them. Boil a huge batch that could last a week or just use a non stick frying pan that doesn't require oil.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    You could use olive oil. It's not a big deal as long as you don't get it too hot, and the heat requirement to fry eggs is pretty low.

Primalwombat is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ghee (indian clarified butter) works for me. It doesn't taste anything like regular butter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast