Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Vegetarian Primal... Help! page

  1. #1
    Kitbug's Avatar
    Kitbug is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43

    Vegetarian Primal... Help!

    First... I am NOT. vegetarian. I do not want to be (which I feel makes this even harder). But, I still live at home and cannot have meat of any kind in the house (this includes all sea creatures). I try to eat meat from decent places out of the house a couple times a week, but I can't really afford to eat out more than that.

    I'm not trying to lose weight -- just be healthier. I feel better when I eat primal. What I'm wondering, though, is your opinions on reincorporating a few meals a week of things like beans and rice? I know they aren't fantastic, but it would help a lot. I worry about not getting enough protein, and although I supplement with protein powder, it's so expensive. And the rice could help bulk up things like veggie stir-fry or I could do Spanish rice with burrito filling.

    Should I just try reincorporating some higher starch/carby things that don't contain gluten and just see how my body feels and go by that? Do you guys have specific suggestions? Pretty, pretty please?

  2. #2
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Do they allow dairy products and/or eggs at your house? If so, learn to love eggs (especially Farmer's Market eggs), plain yoghurt (without added sugars, add your own fresh herbs for flavor), and of course, in small amounts, cheese!

    Mark has long said that while vegan is hard to do in a primal sense, it's not impossible to theoretically do the diet as a vegetarian willing to incorporate eggs and dairy for protein sources. It just means a LOT of eggs...

  3. #3
    Kitbug's Avatar
    Kitbug is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43
    I already eat eggs and I make my own organic whole milk yogurt. The problem I then have is variety. So I have yogurt for one meal, and eggs and veggies for another... well... what's meal 3? I haven't made it to where I can IF yet. I haven't even cut out snacks yet. Sometimes I do steamed veggies with home made primal cheese sauce... but I'm suffering from a serious lack of variety.

  4. #4
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    I would say that you could make a third meal out of sweet potato "fries" and hollendaise or mayo (home made) which are egg based, will get the fat/protein up, and overall be yummy.

    You can use the whites to make macaroons -- there's not much to macaroons. And, it's a nice "treat" really. I have added more coconut flour or coconut flakes in lieu of sugar, so you can always decrease the amount of sweet. I like mine more "coconut" than sugar.

    While your carbs might be up -- i don't know what your needs are -- it gives you another way to eat these foods that's not "typical".

    And if you want to consume beans and rice, then do.

  5. #5
    EyeOfRound's Avatar
    EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    377
    Well, I don't know what your ethics are, but mine surely wouldn't prevent me from stocking up on cans of tuna under my mattress.

  6. #6
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitbug View Post
    I already eat eggs and I make my own organic whole milk yogurt. The problem I then have is variety. So I have yogurt for one meal, and eggs and veggies for another... well... what's meal 3? I haven't made it to where I can IF yet. I haven't even cut out snacks yet. Sometimes I do steamed veggies with home made primal cheese sauce... but I'm suffering from a serious lack of variety.
    Do you have a local salad bar that you can hit up cheaply? I have one and I love it. That could make a good option for a third meal. I mean, not daily, but on occasion. They have shredded tuna as an option to sprinkle on the veggies which could make a good protein source as well as hard boiled eggs and cheese.

  7. #7
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,679
    There are much worse things than beans and rice. Feel free to indulge in those until you have greater control over your meals.

    You can improve these by soaking or sprouting ala Weston A Price Foundation recommendations. Perhaps suggest to your gaolers that they buy Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  8. #8
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    There are much worse things than beans and rice. Feel free to indulge in those until you have greater control over your meals.

    You can improve these by soaking or sprouting ala Weston A Price Foundation recommendations. Perhaps suggest to your gaolers that they buy Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
    +1
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  9. #9
    js290's Avatar
    js290 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitbug View Post
    First... I am NOT. vegetarian. I do not want to be (which I feel makes this even harder). But, I still live at home and cannot have meat of any kind in the house (this includes all sea creatures). I try to eat meat from decent places out of the house a couple times a week, but I can't really afford to eat out more than that.

    I'm not trying to lose weight -- just be healthier. I feel better when I eat primal. What I'm wondering, though, is your opinions on reincorporating a few meals a week of things like beans and rice? I know they aren't fantastic, but it would help a lot. I worry about not getting enough protein, and although I supplement with protein powder, it's so expensive. And the rice could help bulk up things like veggie stir-fry or I could do Spanish rice with burrito filling.

    Should I just try reincorporating some higher starch/carby things that don't contain gluten and just see how my body feels and go by that? Do you guys have specific suggestions? Pretty, pretty please?
    Just avoid the bad stuff...

    Now let’s compare that “avoid” list with what Kurt Harris refers to as the three neolithic agents of disease—the modern nasties driving many of our health woes:

    • Excess fructose
    • Excess linoleic acid (typically from high-omega-6 oils like soybean oil)
    • Wheat or gluten


    Ancestral or “paleo” diets specifically eliminate all three. Incidentally, the near-vegan diets with a track record for fighting disease eliminate the first two. And in many cases, they inadvertently slash wheat intake by promoting a more diverse spectrum of grains, tubers, and legumes than the average person on an industrialized diet consumes (in which grain products are overwhelmingly wheat-based).
    Personally, I would avoid all grains because you may not know which one you'll have reactions to. I don't have any obvious problems with wheat, but definitely problems with brown rice and sorghum.

  10. #10
    CaveWeirdo's Avatar
    CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    215
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If your guardians won't let you buy your own meat, and your own pan to cook it in, with your own money, then you need to move out asap. I respect some people have spiritual/ethical beliefs but they cannot justify forcing someone else to eat in a way that will make them malnourished. You have the right to eat what you want.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •