Hi all. I've been a lurker for a while, and was inspired to come out by a post regarding teenagers on the forum. I think I have a fairly unique story as far as stories go- not as inspiring as some stories that I've read, but maybe interesting reading for any younger people out there.

I was always a chubby girl, and when I was 15 I weighed my highest- 230lbs. Now, I stand about 5'9, and have always been strong due to my childhood on a farm, but that is a LOT of chub. My parents signed me up for the Herbal Magic program, which went down the toilet because I don't really do portion control. Around when I was 16 I dropped out of school and started working in a pool teaching swimming lessons and lifeguarding. If you want incentive to lose weight, try working in mandatory skin-tight swim or wet suits. Google became my friend. In 2 years, I lost 50lbs through various methods (mostly water fasting, as I remember), and have maintained that weight.

I was ecstatic with my results and the fact that I did it on my own, but for the past year or so I've read a lot and learned a lot, but hadn't been inspired enough to lose the last 40 or so lbs and get fit. Until now. This summer I've had a fire under my butt. I took my high school equivalency exams, and I am taking my Emergency Medical Responder course in July. Naturally I want to get into shape too!

I'm going to go back and address the elephant in the room- My longest water-only fast was 11 days when I was 17. I lost (and kept off) 15lbs. I have done several shorter ones however. My logic has always been that our bodies couldn't possibly be so fragile that a few days without food would kill you. Even more so if you were overweight, as fat is essentially stored food- I mean think of camels, fat tailed sheep, and such.

My family has accepted my quirks and strange eating habits from the start, and my job pays VERY well, so I've always paid for my own food. I moved out on my own last year, and am now living with my awesome boyfriend, who is pretty accepting as well.

So anyways, I am going to be writing down what I eat- kinda to keep myself on track, partly to hopefully inspire other young people. For the next few weeks, however, I will not be logging meals, rather the absence of them. I will be water fasting until June 30.

As a side note, I understand if you have a problem with a 19 year old not eating for 20 days, and I respect that. But I don't need to hear it.

Em

Oh yeah! I forgot to add that I've been following a low carb diet for a year or 2, and doing Paleo specifically for a couple months.