Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emmy's Primal Journal page

Em153 is offline Junior Member

Emmy's Primal Journal

Shop Now
    Hi all. I've been a lurker for a while, and was inspired to come out by a post regarding teenagers on the forum. I think I have a fairly unique story as far as stories go- not as inspiring as some stories that I've read, but maybe interesting reading for any younger people out there.

I was always a chubby girl, and when I was 15 I weighed my highest- 230lbs. Now, I stand about 5'9, and have always been strong due to my childhood on a farm, but that is a LOT of chub. My parents signed me up for the Herbal Magic program, which went down the toilet because I don't really do portion control. Around when I was 16 I dropped out of school and started working in a pool teaching swimming lessons and lifeguarding. If you want incentive to lose weight, try working in mandatory skin-tight swim or wet suits. Google became my friend. In 2 years, I lost 50lbs through various methods (mostly water fasting, as I remember), and have maintained that weight.

I was ecstatic with my results and the fact that I did it on my own, but for the past year or so I've read a lot and learned a lot, but hadn't been inspired enough to lose the last 40 or so lbs and get fit. Until now. This summer I've had a fire under my butt. I took my high school equivalency exams, and I am taking my Emergency Medical Responder course in July. Naturally I want to get into shape too!

I'm going to go back and address the elephant in the room- My longest water-only fast was 11 days when I was 17. I lost (and kept off) 15lbs. I have done several shorter ones however. My logic has always been that our bodies couldn't possibly be so fragile that a few days without food would kill you. Even more so if you were overweight, as fat is essentially stored food- I mean think of camels, fat tailed sheep, and such.

My family has accepted my quirks and strange eating habits from the start, and my job pays VERY well, so I've always paid for my own food. I moved out on my own last year, and am now living with my awesome boyfriend, who is pretty accepting as well.

So anyways, I am going to be writing down what I eat- kinda to keep myself on track, partly to hopefully inspire other young people. For the next few weeks, however, I will not be logging meals, rather the absence of them. I will be water fasting until June 30.

As a side note, I understand if you have a problem with a 19 year old not eating for 20 days, and I respect that. But I don't need to hear it.

Em

Oh yeah! I forgot to add that I've been following a low carb diet for a year or 2, and doing Paleo specifically for a couple months.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Emmy. I just recently started fasting some after resisting for two years. Since you have been low carb for that long, you should do fine. Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

tim3 is offline Junior Member
    Having just read this, it sounds crazy to me that you went 11 days without eating!!! All credit to you as after that you must be so mentally strong (and have got loads of things done in the process!). I've always been cautious with IF, as in our current society, it is deemed sooooo wrong to do, and soooo damaging to our bodies, however from my experiences of IF, it is the complete opposite that happens (even after just a 24 hour IF), psychologically as well as physically! I am truely intrigued to see how this goes! Tim

Thanks for the welcome Hedonist

Tim- yeah fasting gets a LOT of flak. I think its mostly a lack of accurate info- people don't know what it actually is and therefore associate it with anorexia and starvation.

I totally agree- I would definitely say I'm stronger mentally, though don't plan on doing many extra physical things- you do get tired faster. Keeping yourself mentally occupied is extremely important as well, otherwise you will begin to rationalize breaking your fast.

So, today was my first day. As a disclaimer, the original 20 days has been cut down to about 9 or 10 due to a getaway with my bf. Today's been pretty easy.

Day 1 completed. Not many cravings, pretty good all in all. Here goes day 2!

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Hi, Emmy. I'll be following along to see how you do.
    Mark's recent posts on fasting have got me interested in the subject, and I've started a course of monthly fasts. After my first one, my weight bounced back up, but I have not regained the weight I lost during my second one. (The weight loss is just a pleasant side-effect, as I am mostly fasting for cellular regeneration. But, hey, I'll take it!)
    It is heartening to hear that you have maintained the weight-loss from your fasting a year ago. Good luck to you.

Hi Sabine Yeah I find that whether or not I regain weight -really- depends on how I break the fast. I have to make sure not to let myself feel deprived of anything and break with regular meals instead of binging.

So today I had to work 12 hours- more tired than usual, but pretty doable. Day 2 down.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    How do you find going to bed hungry, this is my biggest mental block, that and the rest of the family eating. I never eat breakfast any more and often go without lunch, and sometimes put off evening meal till quite late, but can't seem to get past the issue of going to bed hungry. I think I need to be away from other people though for it to work for me. Anyway, good vibes for your fast and the weight loss it brings

Edit: and congrats on your first spammer, I've still not had one yet
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Thanks rob! Night time is actually my favourite time when I'm fasting. I lay there knowing there's another day behind me, and 8 or so more of the easiest hours of fasting ahead.

If you focus on discomfort it becomes overwhelming; that is when I typically give up. Fasting is very much about mind games.

Almost done day 3. Probably the most difficult day- when I'm fasting I tend to have a lower body temp, combined with a cold pool and unruly kids....Yep. But I'm not quitting.

Em.
    "Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
    - Alexander Hamilton

“The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value.”
    - Thomas Paine

PrimalCon New York
    3 days down. And according to my non digital scale, I've gone from about 175lbs ish to about 168lbs ish. I'm really happy about this, because I've been holding at 180 for quite a while.
    "Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
    - Alexander Hamilton

“The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value.”
    - Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast