Thread: Training for a 5k. page

Gavin is offline Member

Training for a 5k.

Shop Now
    My mom wants me to do a 5k with her and my aunt. It's in a couple of months and I'm really excited to see what I can do now that I'm primal.

I ran Cross Country before and haven't been running since I changed last November. I can still run a 6:30 mile so this shouldn't be too bad. If I just walk longer and more often as well as sprint longer and more often I think I should be fine. Even if I don't get in any long distance runs from now til then I think I'll do fine. I have nothing against long distance, I love it actually. I just want to see what I can do without it.

Anyone recommend a different plan or should I stick with this and self-experiment? I know what to do diet wise, it's just training advice I want. Thanks Guys!!

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Just do the couch-to-5K. I've had that suggested to me by like a hundred different people, and rolled my eyes each time, but then I actually did it, and improved my time by like 2 minutes - I had always finished at the same time +/- 10 seconds before.

You don't have to start from week 1 if you are already active. I think I started with week 4.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    +1 on couch to 5k...if you even need to do any training. if you're still pretty fit, used to run a lot and can still run a good mile like 6:30, you can probably just get up and run it as long as you're not after a competitive time. i've never been a big runner, but i'll do 2-4 miles once or twice a week, and that keeps me in a condition that allows me to run the occasional 5k and keep it well under 30:00. run with your mom and aunt...don't compete against them.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    My mom wants me to do a 5k with her and my aunt. It's in a couple of months and I'm really excited to see what I can do now that I'm primal.

I ran Cross Country before and haven't been running since I changed last November. I can still run a 6:30 mile so this shouldn't be too bad. If I just walk longer and more often as well as sprint longer and more often I think I should be fine. Even if I don't get in any long distance runs from now til then I think I'll do fine. I have nothing against long distance, I love it actually. I just want to see what I can do without it.

Anyone recommend a different plan or should I stick with this and self-experiment? I know what to do diet wise, it's just training advice I want. Thanks Guys!!
    One suggestion would be instead of true sprints, do 400m and 800m repeats (maybe this is what you meant by "sprint longer") - this will work your cardiovascular system, but should do a lot to help your cardiovascular performance over short to moderate distances - should work for your 5k, and will almost certainly help your mile time.

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Another +1 on couch to 5k. Finished the program this week myself. If you can do a 6:30 mile you might want to skip the first few weeks though.

Only training you need for a 5k is a month or two of heavy barbell squats.

5k, what is this? I do not train for 5ks.