Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dairy & weight loss page 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Recent studies indicate that the countries that have the highest intake of calcium also have the highest incidence of bone fractures. In addition, there is a higher incidence of heart disease, presumably due to calcification of the arteries. There will likely be revised recommendations on calcium supplementation coming out soon.
    Have heard for years and unfortunately it's gotta be more complicated than that & is likely related to other mineral imbalances; phosphate I bet has something to do with it. I didn't drink milk for 20 years and have dental damage as a result.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Have heard for years and unfortunately it's gotta be more complicated than that & is likely related to other mineral imbalances; phosphate I bet has something to do with it. I didn't drink milk for 20 years and have dental damage as a result.
    This is a response to the first of the two claims the parent post makes, I take it?

I agree that it's a big jump to take that correlation and say that there's a cause and effect relationship there.

However, it is noteworthy that the abundant dietary calcium did not stop the fractures. It may not cause the fractures, but it is not enough, on its own, to prevent them. But that it would is precisely what the conventional wisdom has been. The fact is, as I've heard several sources comment, how would calcium "know where to go"? You could, in fact, even have a situation where there's not as much calcium as there should be in bones (or perhaps teeth) and yet it's getting deposited in soft tissue.

There's more than one component in bone anyway. You have a mineral matrix, but you've also got protein. (See, for example, Don Brothwell's Digging Up Bones.) If there were only the first, bone would just be too brittle. It's the protein that gives it the strength. No-one I think makes the point better than Dr. Rosedale (who really is very good on many topics) -- two part interview in total taking over an hour but well worth anyone's time:

Ron Rosedale – Healthy Bones | Me and My Diabetes

One of the best things you can do for bone is weight-bearing exercise.

Dr. Cate Shanahan says that some individuals who don't do much exercise and who eat a high carbohydrate diet -- i.e., a pretty broad swathe of the population -- can end up with bone cells replaced by fat. Your body, being an intelligent system, figures if you don't exercise, that you don't need strong muscles and bones, and if you stuff carbohydrate that you do need to store energy (since famine is obviously coming). Hence you get programmed cell death and muscle and bone cells are replaced with fat cells. Poepel are actually storing fat in their bones -- against that long winter that, as Lights Out was always reminding us, these days never comes. What it that likely to do for your bone strength?

I'm not gonna stop drinking milk, ever.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    So then why did you bother creating this post if you don't actually care about making informed decisions based on scientific research, logic, and common sense? No one is trying to talk you out of eating dairy; you asked. Seems you don't want answers unless they support to whatever you happen to be gung-ho about at the moment.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    ;-)

From pedigree goats browsing on bushes growing on organic land watered by streams issuing from volcanic rock and with some extra goat cream stirred in, I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    So then why did you bother creating this post if you don't actually care about making informed decisions based on scientific research, logic, and common sense? No one is trying to talk you out of eating dairy; you asked. Seems you don't want answers unless they support to whatever you happen to be gung-ho about at the moment.
    I didn't drink milk for 20 years based on all the mumbo jumbo out there that poses as "science":
    The NOTMILK Homepage! (MILK is a bad-news substance!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123