Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dairy & weight loss page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Calcium and Fat-Burning

I like the last line of the article, on the 2nd page.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Do we need dairy foods for their calcium content or not? Can you really be healthy, lose weight etc without dairy or is it actually a problem?
    No you don't *need* dairy for calcium and yes you can be healthy and lose weight without dairy. Plenty of great sources of calcium outside of dairy, spinach for one.

Calcium Content of Foods | Patient Education | UCSF Medical Center

That being said, if you're dairy tolerant, why not consume quality sources of dairy? Yogurt for example, mostly it comes down to what you tolerate well.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I get a stuffy nose whenever I eat cheese (I only eat Swiss A2 cow's milk cheese, sheep milk cheese, and goat cheese).
    Same here, within 5 min of consuming milk/cheese get a runny nose & sneeze a couple of times, found out later that the excess mucous production is an inflamatory response, doesn't happen with Yoghurt, which is the only dairy I consume these days.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    No you don't *need* dairy for calcium and yes you can be healthy and lose weight without dairy. Plenty of great sources of calcium outside of dairy, spinach for one.

Calcium Content of Foods | Patient Education | UCSF Medical Center

That being said, if you're dairy tolerant, why not consume quality sources of dairy? Yogurt for example, mostly it comes down to what you tolerate well.
    What is the deal against regular old milk? Yes I've eaten kefir and yogurt, have found both to be worse than milk & cheese.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I just gave up yogurt as an example (I do love my yogurt), less lactose, more protein low carbs. But nothing wrong with milk for those who tolerate well, yogurt is usually a little better tolerated as well.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

jllundqu is offline Member
    I limit dairy to the top of the food pyramid. Organic Whole Milk (even raw milk) works for me. I have no discernable adverse reactions to limited consumption of dairy. I toss some organic cheese in some of my foods. Of course, there is always calcium supplements if that's your thing. I also eat smoked herring, kipper snacks, etc which is the whole fish (bones, etc.) which has calcium.

Hope this helps.
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Dairy gives me acne. Grassfed, raw, cow, goat, whatever kind.

Our need for calcium is really overrated. You can get plenty of calcium from eating whole oily fish like sardines and herring, and making bone broth. All the people I've known who were diagnosed with osteoporosis ate a ton of dairy. I think it's important to reduce the things that leach calcium from the bones.

I also have an autoimmune disease, which is often closely linked with allergies to gluten and dairy proteins, so I avoid them.

And yes, I really miss cream and cheese, but when I think about where milk comes from, it nauseates me to think of drinking/eating the milk of a lactating mother from another species - it honestly seems like the most perverse and unprimal thing, even though I totally understand why people do it, and the disgust factor still doesn't completely eliminate my cravings for it on occasion. On the other hand, I have no qualms about killing or butchering an animal, that makes total sense to me.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I limit dairy to the top of the food pyramid. Organic Whole Milk (even raw milk) works for me. I have no discernable adverse reactions to limited consumption of dairy. I toss some organic cheese in some of my foods. Of course, there is always calcium supplements if that's your thing. I also eat smoked herring, kipper snacks, etc which is the whole fish (bones, etc.) which has calcium.

Hope this helps.
    I did this for years but not since reading this:
    The Great Fish Oil Experiment

Sardines are out of my diet for good.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Recent studies indicate that the countries that have the highest intake of calcium also have the highest incidence of bone fractures. In addition, there is a higher incidence of heart disease, presumably due to calcification of the arteries. There will likely be revised recommendations on calcium supplementation coming out soon.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Recent studies indicate that the countries that have the highest intake of calcium also have the highest incidence of bone fractures. In addition, there is a higher incidence of heart disease, presumably due to calcification of the arteries. There will likely be revised recommendations on calcium supplementation coming out soon.
    Of course, that correlation doesn't necessarily mean that calcium leads to bone fractures. There are a number of factors that could be bearing upon osteopenia/osteoporosis and too much calcium surely isn't at the top of the list. For example, Dr. Art Ayers, among others, fingers systemic inflammation as one culprit among many and notes:

Osteoporosis increase in our population has paralleled the increase in use of omega-6 vegetable oils, and the increase in chronic inflammation.
    Cooling Inflammation: osteoporosis

Now, I'll bet you that many countries that have a high consumption of dairy products also have a high consumption of industrial seed oils. The U.S.? Northern European Nations? Australasia?

The correlation of calcium:magnesium ratios with stroke and heart disease seems more plausible to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast