Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerking your metabolism around page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    There's a lot on the forum at the moment about the effect of long-term low carbing on metabolism versus re-feeding days which are supposed to kickstart your metabolism again. I was wondering if anyone has links to scientific findings on all this? The yo-yoing makes sense to me on one level, but is it really good to keep 'shocking' the system?
    A lot of that stuff is from the body-building community. I consider it kind of useless for an average Jane like myself. I will have sweet potatoes for lunch after sprinting in the hopes that maybe I won't get the jimmy legs or whatever, but I don't specifically try to do anything in particular with food and "jerking my metabolism around". I just eat real food. I happen to like meat and fish so I eat a lot of that, but I also like sweet potatoes and eat a lot of those.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    Imo most of the time, the best question to ask oneself when in doubt is "What would our hunter-gatherer ancestors have done?"
    They would have invented farming and stopped hunting & gathering.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A lot of that stuff is from the body-building community. I consider it kind of useless for an average Jane like myself.
    Good point.

Having lost alot of weight (175 pounds) on low carb without refeeds or cheating, they may not really be needed until you get down to a leaner body weight. What helped me lose the weight and keep it off is routine and knowing what I can eat and cannot eat to stick at it, not cause cravings or cycles of cheating/binging/getting back on the diet, and knowing what I can eat and stay content (high fat, variety of veggies, etc.).

As I've gotten under 30% body fat here, I've started seeing the signs (plateau, fatigue, less energy for work outs, sleep problems) that I need to tweak what I'm doing to keep losing weight, such as IF, carb cycling and refeeds, and it's likely because I have less leptin-generating fat and it's gonna take some convincing to tell my body that it's okay to get rid of the remaining hard-to-lose fat. Only now have I started considering these things as the fat-loss mostly chugged along okay until recently. And I'm taking it slow trying these changes to see how I do with them.

As long as you're losing weight and your eating is good, keep doing what you're doing. If you hit a wall, you'll know it and that may be a sign to try different things such as the refeed.

And read Mark's post about it and some of the comments in reply to it, it sums it up quite nicely.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I'd think it's more in line with human history to not eat the exact same amount of calories day in and day out- nature has short, medium and long term cycles of food availability.
    I agree with this. If there were serious detrimental effects to short-term fluctuations in food type and quantity, the human race would not be around today. The body is well-adapted to handle short-term variations in food quantity and quality; it's long-term issues(starvation, severe overfeeding, food quality/nutritional deficiencies) that really have the potential to wreak havoc on the body, not daily fluctuations.
    Last edited by jsa23; 06-10-2012 at 06:31 AM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I think it's good to mix it up every so often. I don't plan it, but tend to eat more before my period. So maybe once a month I change it up and eat a little more. In fact last night I had two glasses of wine, popcorn, and almost a pint of ice cream with cacao nibs and walnuts. I was stuffed and this morning I feel pretty lean. I think it's important not to be too strick. I have lost weight slowly because I like to enjoy life, too, and don't want to restrict myself too much. I lost 25 lbs. in a year and a half and still have about 15-20 more to lose. When I do eat more it's stuff like nuts, cheese, dried fruit, or popcorn that I normally don't eat or at least try to limit. I don't cheat on stuff that's non-primal (except pop-corn, but I don't have a problem with it). I love this way of eating and it's a lifestyle so if I have days where I eat more than other days and it's fine ... that's how life works. Some days more carbs and other days less carbs - unplanned... just depends on how I feel. I love sweet potatoes, too, and eat them whenever I feel like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12