Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well there goes half the pantry page

Catharsis is offline Senior Member

Well there goes half the pantry

Primal Fuel
    So, like an idiot, I went grocery shopping the other day for all things gluten free and at least half decent. One thing I've never learned is to ignore Whole Food's labeling of "Gluten Free". I swear, 3/4ths of the stuff is labeled, "Processed on equipment that also processes Blah, Blah, Wheat, Blah". There goes my Arctic Zero.

Bastards.

I decided to check out Gluten-Free Mall for Gluten free foods & products - online shopping for a gluten-free diet I mean, all of that HAS to be good, right? After all, it's celiac.com and:
    Gluten-Free Mall has offered online shopping for the finest gluten-free foods and special dietary products—we are the original "one-stop shop" on the Internet for gluten-free food.

Our selection is unmatched—we carry more than 1,000 products, and over 130 leading brands—to meet the gluten-free needs of people with celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD, ADHD)...or for those who just want to eat a healthier diet.
    Here, you can find a plethora of foods that have been processed on equipment that handles wheat.

It's like no food is freaking sacred.

/rant

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Why do you need so many gluten-free products?

Sorry about the sanctity of your overpriced cookies or whatever.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    My question would be why bother with processed foods. Now is a great chance to stock up on whole, real foods.

And with all the money you save you could buy an ice-cream maker and make your own full fat ice-cream.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 06-09-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Why do you need so many gluten-free products?

Sorry about the sanctity of your overpriced cookies or whatever.
    Celiac.

I actually don't buy any processed foods. I tried Arctic Zero on a recommendation as a treat a couple of days ago and got nailed. I'm not carb-phobic, like 95% of MDA, so PWO I prefer something more than potatoes all the time. Throwing out expensive Quinoa and Rice that is labeled, "GLUTEN FREE!!!!!!1" on the front sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    My question would be why bother with processed foods. Now is a great chance to stock up on whole, real foods.
    When you live out of a hotel half the week, it's extremely difficult to not have some variety of foods that can be prepared easily (like in a hotel room coffee pot).

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Catharsis, do you have to avoid any food that has been processed on machines that have also processed wheat? It's not good enough that the food itself is wheat/gluten-free? (I'm not trying to instigate; I'm genuinely curious. If there's a trace of gluten on a machine, and that trace touches the food that you would then eat, that's enough to cause a reaction?)

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Catharsis, do you have to avoid any food that has been processed on machines that have also processed wheat? It's not good enough that the food itself is wheat/gluten-free? (I'm not trying to instigate; I'm genuinely curious. If there's a trace of gluten on a machine, and that trace touches the food that you would then eat, that's enough to cause a reaction?)
    for celiacs, yes, and even for some with just an intolerance.

but i am in agreement with others about just avoiding processed foods. that gluten-free stuff is expensive and mostly tastes terrible.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Wow. I had no idea! Thanks, noodletoy.

Huh. **Are** there places that have truly gluten-free processing plants?

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Wow. I had no idea! Thanks, noodletoy.

Huh. **Are** there places that have truly gluten-free processing plants?
    Yep, there sure are. As I'm discovering, it's really hard to find them. The Quinoa pasta I like comes from an entirely gluten free facility. I was actually eating it long before discovering gluten issues, frankly, I like the taste better and the texture is the exact same as whole wheat pasta. It has more protein too.

I'm far more unprocessed than the vast majority of paleo/gluten free folks. But if some of you guys spent 3-4 nights a week in a hotel with no way to cook, you'd be looking for substitutes too. You can only take so many potatoes before you need a change and frankly, you can only go for so many days with precook food before it starts getting into the really bad idea to eat range.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yow. Good luck in your continued search! Here's a link to Gillian's Foods, which claims to be made in a GF facility, and they ship all over the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast