Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Junkies - support needed page 9

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I dunno if anyone else is like me, but it's low fat sugar that I have the biggest problem with, i.e. fruit. I don't even like ice-cream any more, and have no problem bypassing chocolate, but fruit is what I really crave, and that what always trigger slides. I tried eating white potato (grains just make me want fruit all the more, like added to the grain, like millet with a pear, or buckwheat with berries, oh, lord, why have I even mentioned/thought about it?). Kind of marginal success for me. I think might be because I firmly associate white potatoes with savory, while grains with sweet. Could be because I grew up on every sort of grain with fruit and jams for breakfast (classic Eastern Europenian way).
    Last edited by Leida; 06-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    CourtTuttle, I hear you on the M&M's. I also think there's something addictive about dipping into a bag and popping clean little bits of sugar bites in your mouth, one at a time. In comparison, eating steak and salad, you know, on a plate, with a fork, is WORK. And it takes forever. I suppose I could shovel in the macadamia nuts just as easily, but that would cost like $27.

I could never get into baked goods because cake and bread is just so damn.. crumbly. And cleaning up flour, bah.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Same with berries or grapes. (Sigh)

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine p. View Post
    The problem might be that you eat sugar coupled with high fat like ice cream and milk chocolate (this mix is highly addictive). If you have a sugar craving try to eat a small amount of whole grain like brown rice (don't go screaming in terror please!) it might just help with the craving of carbs without indulging in refined sugar.
    Mmm, no. Yes, sugar with fat is binge-y for me, as is sugar with grains (like berries & oatmeal), sugar with no fat (like Skittles or dried fruit), natural sugars (like fruit, honey, etc.), pretty much any of it.

For people with mild cravings, having rice instead of candy might work. I know people who have success having fruit instead of candy - it makes sense. But for people with a screwed up physiology/neurology that sends constant, inappropriate signals to eat sweets, well, we can binge on anything containing even the smallest amount of sweetness - including nuts, coconut products, & butternut squash - fat or no.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

gibson girl is offline Junior Member
    I had success with Overeaters Anonymous. I learned to plan and to call a friend when cravings hit. This thread will help many people!

I have come to believe that I was born out of balance. I was an anxious child and turned to food for consolation. It didn't take any time at all to turn into "addiction". Many, many years later I found healthy ways to deal with it. I found my biggest trigger was for my spouse to change our plans at the last minute. Since it happens now and then, I get a flash of annoyance and the need to console myself. I have to have a plan for situations like that. If it boils down to eating something, it has to be fat, not sugar. Nuts are handy. Bacon is good. Cheese was a go-to until I stopped dairy. Self-talk and getting busy with something else is helpful. Speaking out my feelings often defuses the whole problem.

Yes, sugar can be addictive. It can be overcome with understanding how it works. VLC helped get it out of my system. If I want a reminder of how crazy I can get, all I need is a bowl of grapes on my kitchen counter. It keeps me humble!

aussiesue is offline Member
    Hi,
    Before coming to this website and doing Primal (was easy as I love meat and the natural fats), I gave up sugar, fructose to be precise. If you could have a look over this forum, you may find some help The Sweet Poison Forum :: Index
    David says it is the fructose that is addictive, and bad for you, and should be limited to no more than 2 pieces of fruit a day. I hardly eat any fruit, so that was no a big sacrafice. Good luck with breaking your habit.

I can't agree more! Fruit is the hardest thing to drop! I am doing good so far. The monet I start craving fruit, I remember throwing up this weekend with the watermelon, and it helps a big deal! I am thinking of going Anabolic starting next week, with carb-ups only on Saturday and Sunday, and low carb all week. And no sweets whatsoever. Keeping fingers crossed I do not get any huge cravings this weekend! I am almost to the point when i am ready to start self-hypnosis to teach myself to loath the most dangerous fruit, like apples.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Hey! I just wanted to toot my own horn for a minute. I had a horrible weekend. Big fight with a dysfunctional family member and the death of our relationship. Fun fun! Sigh.

But today I realized that in the midst of all the drama I didn't go out and get sugar. I didn't even *think* of going out and getting ice cream or chocolate or anything!

I feel like this is some sort of milestone. I think I'm over the hump as far as cravings go.

You guys are discussing fruit. I still eat it but only after a meal. What works for me (YMMV) is this - if I find myself wanting fruit and it's been hours since I ate anything, then I don't eat the fruit. Instead, I have a meal or snack that is heavy on the protein and fat and maybe some water to wash it down.

On the other hand, if I have eaten protein and fat and want fruit as a dessert, then I have it.

For me (again, this is me and YMMV) if I eat fruit on it's own, it has the danger of leading to something. It has to be a dessert treat instead of a stand alone snack. I know some people can't even handle it as dessert, but so far I'm good with this.

Now liquid dairy though. Sigh. I tend to go overboard with that so I'm just cutting it for now. Milk sugars? Something else? I don't know, but I don't overdo it on butter. If I have cream in the house though, watch out!

That's good that you didn't turn to sugar, Shannon!

I had sugar this weekend, a biscotti for breakfast (we had to use up a couple of gift cards from Starbucks), some honey and fruit. It did not feel as a binge, per se, but I am not decided yet if I am going to allow fruit over the weekend or not yet. I just... don't know. If I drop weight this week, I probably will have fruit.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, noes. Got depressed over reading a Jillian Micheal's book and my life, and made a face plant into 2 cups of honey dew and a nectarine and 2 pieces of hard candy left from x-mas. F'd up a perfect bloody day completely and irrevocably, calories, carbs, all was totally f'd up. I think I am going to try the slow carb diet from 4 hour body, which means I can have fruit once a week. I am peaking at the self-loathing level and don't know what else to do. Dumped all 8 lbs of ankle weights for microloading the bar in the afternoon workout and the rest of the gear in the backpack and walked today to the bus instead of taking a car. Still didn't feel like enough punishment for being a sugar addict. Maybe walking back up hill from the gym after the workout with all the gear will feel like I have atoned.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast