Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Junkies - support needed page 8

Achilles is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I won't post anymore links on here
    Anyone want to take bets on how many more links she posts on here? I'll put the over/under at 25.

I have already more or less said what I needed to say.
    No kidding. We heard you the first eighteen times.

Will reiterate that the whole "sugar addict" thing is the result of you being brainwashed by the media.
    Sigh. Nineteen. But hey, don't let anyone stop you from giving advice just because you're don't have a clue what you're talking about. Bliss.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I know that for me eating a sweet potato does not lead to eating every sweet potato in the house.
    In the beginning I actually had problems with sweet potatoes, particular if I baked it in the oven that brings the sweetness up by an order of magnitude. I used to make a souffle from that baked potato and egg white and cinnamon, it was truly dessert quality. Not doing it any more. The only way I eat sweet potato now is dehydrated into chips or raw.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

CourtTuttle is offline Junior Member
    Long time lurker here. This forum is honestly great and I've been 'taking' from it for a long time. There are so many respectable, helpful people in here.

Fiercehunter - not cool. I don't have a problem with you're saying that you don't have a problem with sugar. That's probably true but that doesn't mean that it's true for everyone else.

You say that the whole "sugar addict" thing is the result of being brainwashed by the media.

Let me tell you a little about myself. Have you ever seen the monster bag of Peanut M&Ms from Costco? It's almost three pounds of Peanut M&Ms and over 8,000 calories. I can eat one on a bad binge and it's honestly nearly impossible to stop myself once I get started.

I guess you could argue that psychologically I could have these behaviors because the media has told me that I have an addiction and my belief in that addiction has led to this behavior. But, that isn't the case. I remember when I was in middle school eating a full banana creme pie, yes the whole thing. That was before I knew anything about anything. The internet didn't even exist back then. I remember sneaking in to where the pies were during Thanksgiving and eating a half pumpkin pie, multiple times per day.

I guess you could also argue that this behavior isn't a problem at all. But, then you would have to explain why both of my grandfathers died of preventable blood sugar related diseases (type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease).

I'd say a good 70% of people in my extended family are at least 100 pounds overweight. Why? Because this addiction is rampant in my family. I go home for dinner and you know what's on the table? 90% food that spikes your blood sugar: Rolls, mashed potatoes, Jello, pudding, corn, jellies, jams, and that's before dessert. Unfortunately some of them are going to die young if they can't figure out how to get control of the addiction.

Before I got my eating under control, I was getting very sick. High blood pressure, cholesterol, and all of that. It took a lot of hard work and discipline to get on top of it. I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong and I'm with almost everyone who has posted in this thread.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    So glad you're finding a way out, CourtTuttle. I completely relate to what you've described, and the pain of seeing the carb obsession still running rampant in my family (no, I don't mean whole fruit obsession), as they get disease after disease, diagnosis after diagnosis, organ removal after organ removal, before they even hit 35.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
    WOOT! Found it

Click the link of the name of the person you want to ignore and then click "view profile". You should get to his/her profile page. On the left will be a list of options one of which is "add to ignore list". Done and done

I am happy to discuss things with people who disagree with me in a polite way but when people act like dicks, I tend to get pissed off and return the favor and I'd really rather not go there. This is better for my stress levels
    I just have to say that every time I read you saying "act like dicks" I laugh out loud, lol!! The best! And thank you for telling us how to ignore. That will come in handy.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    It IS an addiction...its quite disgusting the amount of cake I could eat in one sitting when I was younger....I actually thought it was just a little over the top, turns out eating a 15 inch triple layered cake is NOT normal at all and is VERY much over the top for a short gal like me.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I find that a once-fulfilled craving for sugar turns into a salt craving, back into a sugar one. It's a cycle that many times does not end until I'm about to puke. Worst part is, I usually binge in the evening and then have the worst possible nights sleep. I have been getting better lately, and am able to stop myself before it gets too bad. I definitely notice over-eating coincides with my cycle. Although for me it's during ovulation not menstruation...odd?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's just how your hormonal balance is, nothing odd about it. My worst week is the week before the period (or a pseudo-period, since I am on Seasonale now).

This week not bad so far, after the disaster on Sunday night. I am did a carb-up yesterday with 2 medium boiled white potatoes, without it degenerating into: "a banana/apple/peach/whatever can't hurt" though I did eye my folks fruits askance in the evening. Had to have a few walnuts to shut off the little cranky devil inside me head.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to chime in to share a few things. I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I repeat something said already.

I believe I am a sugar/grain addict (food addict for short) and a compulsive overeater.

I have been attending Overeaters Anonymous and love it.

Lately, I realized (finally admitted) that sugar is my heroin and grain is my cocaine. I only binged on them at my worst. During my stopping I realized that the physical withdrawal could inspire pure and intense despair. I realized that's why I always went back. So I decided to rely on my program to stop picking up my "heroin and cocaine." I also discovered that dairy and artificial sweeteners do not work for me as those both pull me back into the sugar and grain within days.

Thanks for being here and having this conversation. I support all of you!

Michael
    Last edited by kungfumike; 06-20-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling

catherine p. is offline Junior Member
    The problem might be that you eat sugar coupled with high fat like ice cream and milk chocolate (this mix is highly addictive). If you have a sugar craving try to eat a small amount of whole grain like brown rice (don't go screaming in terror please!) it might just help with the craving of carbs without indulging in refined sugar.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast