Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Junkies - support needed page 7

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    I wish I understood the psychology of the internet. Why some people insist on lecturing their point of view without even listening to others and just being complete and utter dicks.

Is there an "ignore" feature on MDA?

CaveCanem, I have her book! It did help some before but I didn't use it this time. I don't know what was different this time but the glutamine has been sitting unused in my pantry. This time I just talked myself down every single day. And stuffed myself with protein.

I think, for me, thinking of the parallels to alcoholism are really helping me.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveCanem View Post
    Also, I let myself have really dark chocolate daily, but no fruit. I know that I am a junkie, and that vigilance is key, and that like any junkie I need to watch out for rationalizations.
    I agree with this; vigilance is key.

Also, when my desire to sugar binge rears its nasty head (which is rarer and rarer, but will probably always be a part of my life), I think of the Sun Tzu quote: "If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles."

My enemy - at times - is sugar. It is deceiptful. It tries to convince me to buy bag of candy because it would be a great way to demonsrate my newfound ability to apply moderation by having a few pieces at a time. However, I know myself and my enemy too well to fall for this trick anymore. I may still fight hundreds of battles, but I am now able to win them gracefully and more easily, and I never forget to congratulate myself when I succeed in making healthy choices.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Just learn to eat primally. There should not be a box of cookies or stash of binge foods in your house. My tone is harsh I know but it's for a good reason. I don't buy in to the psychological theory of food; sorry, heard for 20 years, lived through it also but now believe the problem was due to bad food choices & think the view of "food as a psychological issue" has done more harm than good. ...

I hardly ate any sugar in my 30s based on the crazy bad advice that the culture's been spewing out since the late 90s. Today I eat some sugar every day because STARCH like from grains is the problem, not sugar. Deprogram yourself while you still can.

You might also benefit from eating in a window, creates safety and structure. Fast 5 is a paticularly long fast, 19 hours, which could be too long. You could try eating most of your food between 12-6 or 7 pm.
    The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com

Also, if you aren't drinking any kind of milk you might want to start. The calcium will help soothe your nerves. I've felt a lot better lately following a slightly tweaked primal food list:
    Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums
    I removed all tempting foods from my house, exercised moderation instead of full abstinence with sweet things, eliminated grains, IF'd, drank lots of raw Jersey grassfed milk, and still binged. DAILY. I had physical urges to get more sugar, even though it meant leaving the house and buying it, every 5 minutes.

Yet, when I started eating a huge protein breakfast each morning, all those urges magically disappeared. All those thoughts were gone. It had nothing to do with willpower or psychology and everything to do with physiological cravings caused by Istilldon'tknowwhat.

Your contribution has been noted. If anyone comes to this thread looking for the "sugar isn't actually addicting and we should eat this processed refined white powder daily even though we avoid all processed foods" view, we will be sure to point them to you.

This is just one of many studies finding that sugar is as addictive as other super-refined feel-good white powders, namely, cocaine & heroin: Sugar as addictive as cocaine, heroin, studies suggest - New York Daily News

No need to reply; I've said my piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
    Is there an "ignore" feature on MDA?
    Yes, it does, and in two years, I have never before been tempted to use it, but have never before seen such rude, dismissive, pontificating, proselytizing behavior on MDA.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Well I hate to argue with you, would have agreed years ago but no, I now think sugar is necessary. Elimination of fruit, fructose & even white table sugar isn't helpful. I didn't eat much sugar in my 30s, wasn't any better off and actually think eating low carb and low sugar damaged my metabolism.

I won't post anymore links on here, have already more or less said what I needed to say. Will reiterate that the whole "sugar addict" thing is the result of you being brainwashed by the media. Sorry for being a bitch but someone has to say it. Learn to eat protein; drink a glass of milk or have some cheese. With fruit.

Ok here is a video:
    Last edited by fiercehunter; 06-19-2012 at 10:09 AM.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    ANYWAY, so where is that ignore button?

MamaGrok, how do you do the "ignore"? I looked the other day but didn't see it. I think it's fine if people disagree and discuss. But when they disagree and only give their point of view, over and over and over, and don't listen (or read) others, then I'm done. I'd prefer not to even see the posts anymore.

I've been grain free for over a year, it didn't stop my problems with sugar. Funny enough, grains were easy for me. I have no idea why. I've had a few "aw man, that smells good" moments over the past year, but that's it. I haven't had any intense CRAVINGS for grain, like I do for sugar.

Though I do have to say that cutting grains gave me the biggest health benefits so I'm not knocking it. If I go the rest of my life binging on sugar but not eating grains, I think I'll be healthier than if I reversed that. And that's me talking about me, I don't pretend to know what is best for anyone else. But I would like to be able to find a way to *not* binge on sugar so that's why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I was a teen when the whole low fat thing started. Sugar was good, fat was bad. My mom bought snackwells for us to eat. Low fat, high sugar so it's good for you. Or something.

The "sugar is bad" thing is new. My whole childhood my mother and then (when the 80's hit) the media told me that animal products were bad because they had too much fat and protein. I hardly think that I'm "brainwashed" to think sugar is bad after hearing most of my life that sugar is fine and it's fat that's bad.

WOOT! Found it

Click the link of the name of the person you want to ignore and then click "view profile". You should get to his/her profile page. On the left will be a list of options one of which is "add to ignore list". Done and done

I am happy to discuss things with people who disagree with me in a polite way but when people act like dicks, I tend to get pissed off and return the favor and I'd really rather not go there. This is better for my stress levels

CaveCanem is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    CC here again. I know that for me eating a sweet potato does not lead to eating every sweet potato in the house. Growing up in an alcoholic household I observed as a teen that alcoholics don't keep alcohol in the house, they drink all of it to the last drop the day they bring it home. For me any sugary items are the same. One time when the kids were little I found this website with all these cool Twinkie science experiments, so I bought a twelve pack of twinkies. Then, I ate them. No science involved there!

I worked directly with Julia Ross and we solved many issues, but after 3 months or so I began to slip. Currently, I am three months into primal and beginning to feel my fatigue slip away, and my sugar free eating feels pretty solid. I would like to think that maybe the difference between then and now is then I was eating a lot of brown rice and beans and now I am not. But, I know that sugar could still sneak up and get me. Thanks for this thread, I need it.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast