Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Junkies - support needed page 4

JayGee is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sugar has been my downfall too. I have tried cold-turkey (works for a while, then a huge binge). I have tried having sugar in moderation (cravings get REALLY strong with this approach). I've been bingeing on sugar since I was about 18, and I'm 44 now. I've never been more than a few pounds overweight (honestly, I really don't know how, considering the number of calories I put away), but I HATE the way sugar makes me feel. I hate the loss of control I have when I eat sugar. Literally, gallons of ice cream, bags of candy, boxes of donuts, entire serving dishes of trifle or cookies. Yesterday I ate 1/2 a batch of pumpkin muffins while hiding in the pantry. How shameful is that??? I went Primal last July, but have been unable to maintain any weightloss due to sugar binges. In the last year I've lost and regained the same 10-15 pounds 4 times. Primal for a couple of months = weight loss, great energy, muscle gains, feel wonderful. Then a 2-4 week sugar binge = regain of weight, low energy, depression, anxiety. I KNOW what is right for my body, but the cycles of sugar bingeing are my downfall.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am a few days of my 2nd no fruit stretch. The thing is, I feel so much better without sugar, with no false appetite, better energy, but I just love fruit so much. I will most likely break down on the next hot day and bury my shame in a huge watermelon, but I now aim for as long as I can go without sort of thing, because I realize that I cannot be free for good. Alas. The 'little bit' of fruit never worked for me. I start with 1 cup of cranberries in a smoothie, and the next thing, I am eating an apple after that, and then I am devouring half of the family's fruit plate, and then run ravenously hungry next day looking for even more fruit. Sugar addict at her best.

Can you believe that 1 serving of fruit is like 1/2 of an apple?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Minky is offline Member
    I didn't read every post, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned anything about this, but my trigger is being really full. Everyone says be sure to eat lots of fat and protein, but even a really great primal meal is a trigger. Something about the full feeling makes me start scavenging the house for sweets.

I see so many suggesting a high-protein breakfast. Breakfast is the one time of day that I have no hunger, so I take advantage of that and fast til lunch. But I supposed that sometimes that fast helps me rationalize a late night kitchen episode...

Luckily, I'm not really binging anymore. Did that in my 20s quite a bit. But i still find myself giving into adding extra calories onto a really full belly - usually with sweets, but sometimes nuts or nut butters, etc., whatever I can scrounge up. I just don't understand it.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I didn't eat much sugar in my 30s, ate low carb constantly, hardly ate any fruit & was not really any better off. Like everyone else I like sugar & now no longer think it's a problem

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    I didn't read every post, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned anything about this, but my trigger is being really full. Everyone says be sure to eat lots of fat and protein, but even a really great primal meal is a trigger. Something about the full feeling makes me start scavenging the house for sweets.

I see so many suggesting a high-protein breakfast. Breakfast is the one time of day that I have no hunger, so I take advantage of that and fast til lunch. But I supposed that sometimes that fast helps me rationalize a late night kitchen episode...

Luckily, I'm not really binging anymore. Did that in my 20s quite a bit. But i still find myself giving into adding extra calories onto a really full belly - usually with sweets, but sometimes nuts or nut butters, etc., whatever I can scrounge up. I just don't understand it.
    Same here. When I didn't eat for a long time and am very hungry I can easily stay away from food even longer but when I just ate and am really full it's hard to control myself not to eat a lot more.
    Billie trips balls

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Well otoh here is an anti sugar site Sugar Shock:
    Beyond Sugar Shock | Learn How to Kick Your Sugar Habit

Connie Bennet says she hasn't eaten sugar in 15 years.

connie2.jpg

oxide is offline Senior Member
    When I did leptin reset (partial success), I discovered that I craved sweets after the meal too. The "full" and satisfied feeling that you're supposed to get didn't truly kick in until 1-2 hours after the meal. If you can stave off the craving for an hour, you can usually get past it. My solution was to go to the mall or go for a drive to get away from the house.

My downfall is not quite the sugar, it's that sugar foods like chocolate pieces and twizzlers are so easily packaged to eat out of hand. Sorry primals, but you can't just dip into a box of steak like you do for Junior Mints. I suppose I could dip into a container of berries, but they cost 5x as much as Raisinettes.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

I didn't eat much sugar in my 30s, ate low carb constantly, hardly ate any fruit & was not really any better off. Like everyone else I like sugar & now no longer think it's a problem
    FH, from what i have seen, you weigh 90 lbs, give or take. I, on the other hand, ate copious amounts of fruit (and sugar) all my life, and I have always struggled with my weight. So, I think I will go with what you have been doing before.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineneedles View Post
    Does anyone have experience of fasting helping or hindering with sugar addiction?
    Many of us here have found that IF, while a powerful tool for those who are already healthy, can and usually does trigger binges for those with that tendency. We'l do great for 1, 3, even 21 days, then crash harder than ever before.

I still believe IF can be in my future, but it'll probably look like this. Gradually, my big breakfast will reduce my hunger for lunch until I'm not eating it at all (okay, this has already happened, and has been this way for over 6 months - I'm IF'ing from breakfast to dinner every day, but only started this AFTER the binges stopped and the cravings were gone and because hunger naturally reduced, not because I ignored it), then it will reduce my hunger for dinner until I can start reducing the breakfast amount, and then, occasionally I'll do some 24hr bkfst-bkfst IF's (already do this here adn there), and then maybe some day skip breakfast ... if I feel sure I'll never binge again.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Sugar is good for the metabolism, it's the media that has convinced we all ought to go sugar free.
    Sugar: Pure, White &*Awesome - The Danny Roddy Weblog - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health

There's all kinds of dumba$$ people out there who when the media says jump they say how high- "my year of living sugar free" etc.

Eat some sugar and a lot of other healthy food and you will be happier and saner also.
    Fiercehunter, I hate to say this to anyone, but you are being very disrespectful. Because YOU don't find sugar addictive doesn't mean someone else doesn't. This is like barging into an AA meeting and shouting, "Lighten up, a$$holes; have a glass of wine every day for the heart!"

We're not trying to stop eating sugar because we think it is the source of all that is unholy. We're trying to stop because it is all we can think about and it compels us to consume thousands and thousands of extra calories (usually tied in with accompanying wheat, industrial oils, chemical flavors, etc.) that we feel better not eating.

Can you respect that effort?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

I have the same experience as MamaGrok - IF worsened binges and cravings for sweets. I only skip meals when it comes naturally. Doing the daily schedule proved disastrous.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast