Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it awkward when you go out to eat or go over to friend's house to eat? page

jimhensen is offline Senior Member

Is it awkward when you go out to eat or go over to friend's house to eat?

Primal Fuel
    What if your friend invites you over and makes a pasta dish? Do you have to do all sorts of special requests when you are at a restaurant? Do you just suck it up and eat un primal on occasion or do you just turn down the food for some random reason that is either a lie or that the other people there won't understand or agree with?

June68 is offline Senior Member
    The dinner at a friend's house could be awkward, but if they're giving you advanced warning that they're making pasta, that might be a good time for a nice chat about your new way of eating. You could let yourself off the bad guy hook by saying you're gluten intolerant. It's true after all, just not medically intolerant. Same with eating out...if it's a good restaurant, ask the server what would be the best choice given your gluten intolerance.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I'm learning that when I go out to eat, I A) always have to request a gluten-free menu, even if I've already read the main menu and think that an entree is probably fine, and B) always have to make requests to ensure I'm getting what I think I'm getting. Last night, we went to Smokey Bones, and I got the pulled pork (nothing added other than spices, according to the ingredients, and I didn't add any sauce) with a double side of steamed broccoli -- except it was steamed in butter. I'm doing Whole 30 right now, so the broccoli was a no-go for me (but my son inhaled it, so that was a win). Lesson learned: just because it says it's prepared one way, that doesn't mean it won't come out another way.

That being said, if I go to a friend's house and they've prepared a non-primal (or non Whole 30) meal, I say, "Thank you!" and I eat what they serve, trying to stay as close to primal as possible, and then get right back on the primal way of eating with my next meal. This is supposed to be a way of life, not a strict diet -- it's perfectly OK to have a non-primal meal every now and then.

runman1954 is offline Member
    For me, when I go out to eat it is not difficult. I always turn down the bread, but there are lots of things on the menu to eat. Salad, sweet potato, veggies and grilled chicken, fish or beef, it's just not that difficult. Going over to other's for dinner might be a bit more difficult. I'm polite and eat what's there but in limited quantity. Most of my friends know how I eat so the offer a diverse menu that gives options.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I avoid is as much as possible
    Billie trips balls

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I'm ok with eating non-primal every once in a while, as long as most meals are good.
    If I eat with friends, I'll likely eat what they serve, but if I have a choice, I'll go without grains and just eat more vegetables.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Eating with friends is never an issue, eating at restaurants is more problematic, depending on the restaurant.

i've been gluten/dairy/soy free for about 5 years now, and paleo/primal for over 1 year. At this point, all of my friends and family know that I eat differently, and they're very supportive of it, especially because most of them either 1) know it's due to my MS or 2) they have their own 'weird' eating situation (like being vegan/vegetarian). My friends and family are happy to cook foods on my approval list, and they usually check with me before cooking anything. My dad LOVES the challenge of being able to come up with new recipes that I can eat, he thrives on challenge even though he's a major SAD eater himself.

Restaurants are more difficult. I've never been a big into eating out, so I eat at a restaurant maybe once/twice a month, sometimes less. I tend to go to the restaurants I aleady know can accomodate me, and if I'm going somewhere new, I either choose Japanese or I get my standard salad with olive oil/vinegar topped with shrimp/chicken/or steak.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I think that's where the whole 80/20 comes into play. If you're ostracizing yourself from social occasions because you think a plate of pasta is going to bowl you over then you're definitely heading down the wrong path when it comes to health.
    I usually try to steer towards protein and vege dishes but it's no big deal if there isn't an option. I wouldn't go out of my way or make people feel uncomfortable unless I had a legitimately allergy or intolerance to a certain food.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Even though I'm gluten intolerant, am pescatarian and intolerant to tomatoes, I don't find eating out too difficult in the UK, as I eat white rice and white potatoes, and dairy. Thai and Japanese food (sushi) are good. Italian restaurants can be tricky but some risottos are fine for me. Simple pub grub such as a whole baked trout with chips (potato fries) and a side salad is ideal for me.

I usually have to make a few minor compromises with stuff I generally avoid, e.g. oils high in PUFA, fermented foods, cow's dairy (I'm mildly intolerant, but fine with goats and sheeps). I only eat out about 2-3 times a month. Hence it would be a different story if I had to eat out more often, e.g. lots of business trips.

It's much more difficult when I'm on holiday or travelling, especially as I walk a lot, so finding enough safe carbs can be tricky, and often ice-cream ends up being the best choice when I'm in Italy (it's a great excuse!). This year I'm going self-catering on the Mediterranean coast so I'll be able to enjoy fresh whole fish with potatoes and salads when I do eat out.

Dinner parties are a lot more tricky, though there's a welcome trend to cook various dishes mezze/tapas style nowadays to cater for different dietary requirements. Party food is easier when there's a spread of things to chose from, and I usually bring along something I can eat such as cold frittata and some olives, or cheese and pineapple on sticks.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    it's only awkward if you make it awkward

and if you make it awkward...
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast