Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it awkward when you go out to eat or go over to friend's house to eat? page 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have celiac which obviously means no (wheat) pasta, but as long as it's gluten-free, I'm not going to make a fuss. For example, friends who are a vegetarian couple invited us over the other week and made a lovely chickpea and vegetable casserole. I certainly did not smash the dish screaming "Why do you feed me legumes? Did you even soak these properly?!" No, I ate it and enjoyed it because it was delicious and sharing food with friends is more important to me than primal purity. Same thing with going to dinner with my brother, who is allergic to nightshades--we go for sushi at a place that offers gluten-free tamari for celiacs, and we happily chow down on a million different kinds of rolls. Or when my friend specially made a gluten-free black forest cake for me, with real kirsch and sour cherries and amazing mocha cream, there was no way I was going to refuse something made so lovingly and with a thought to whether I could safely eat it.

I'm comfortable with this because I keep the foods I cook at home pretty strictly primal/paleo, so when I go out, I have room in my 80/20 to enjoy things that are not strictly primal. Most of the places I go to have celiac menus that offer some pretty primal choices anyhow and are focused on local, organic foods (so the chicken and eggs will be for-real free range, the pork pastured, and the beef grassfed).

We're not all orthorexic around here. Some of us have to be much more careful on our indulgences (me with gluten, or someone like naiadknight with seed oils, for example), but within those limits, you can still enjoy food and not be an ass to your friends.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    I will eat if there is something I can eat (veggie trays, olives, roast chicken) and skip the rest. If I'm at a restaurant that has absolutely no primal option, I have water. IF is always an option.

Now, for the social side of things. Those that I'm closest with (Family, friends, coworkers) adjusted very quickly to me joining them at a restaurant table and eating nothing. They were concerned at first, but if they love and/or respect you, then they will adjust. It isn't like I was asking anyone to not eat or to eat something else. If they just can't cope with it, then they have a problem they need to address.

Good luck! This is one of the biggest hurdles to going primal.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    I eat whatever is served because it's polite and a meal of pasta once in a while matters less than a fart in a hurricane.
    Yep.

A restaurant is different; you have some control. Even if you go for pizza with friends, if you indulge in cheese occasionally, all you have to do is pick the toppings off the crust and eat them. If friends don't understand or appreciate, hang out with them at non-food venues.

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    What if your friend invites you over and makes a pasta dish? Do you have to do all sorts of special requests when you are at a restaurant? Do you just suck it up and eat un primal on occasion or do you just turn down the food for some random reason that is either a lie or that the other people there won't understand or agree with?
    My friends don't actually know what kind of food I eat but they know that I generally avoid heavily processed foods. If I go to a restaurant I get a salad or something and just accept that there might be some seed oil, legumes, or sometimes grain-fed meat in it but I wouldn't purposely order something that obviously has bread or huge amounts of sugar or PUFAs. If I go to a friend's house then I try to avoid eating there if I can, but when I've been eating primal longer then I'll probably relax a bit. I don't ever ask anyone to make special food for me though. In theory I'm not against occasionally eating an unhealthy meal but when it comes to actually eating it, I feel like it would somehow ruin my life, and I know that sounds stupid but I'm sure it's just a temporary thing because I'm still sort of adjusting and I don't know if I can trust myself not to turn one meal into one day or one week.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Restaurants are pretty easy - choose a quality one and enjoy the food.
    OH is wheat sensitive so that is an issue at friends. TBH once you get to a certain age most people I see start to move away from bland pasta and tend to cook more flavourful meals so I don't see it as much as an issues. So other than wheat I would just chow down.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    It usually goes something like this, which could explain why I don't get invited over for dinner much . . .

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    It usually goes something like this, which could explain why I don't get invited over for dinner much . . .

very very funny....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Priceless!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    What if your friend invites you over and makes a pasta dish? Do you have to do all sorts of special requests when you are at a restaurant? Do you just suck it up and eat un primal on occasion or do you just turn down the food for some random reason that is either a lie or that the other people there won't understand or agree with?
    I don't lie nor do I care what they agree with. I feel no need or compulsion to explain myself to anyone. If I want my diet to be made up entirely of Skittles then that's nobodies business, but mine.....so why on earth would I feel the need to explain myself for eating primarily meat and vegetables?

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I am eating with friends I bring 'emergency' protein. There is always salad and usually another vegetable I can eat. If the main dish is something like pasta, I just pull out my protein without comment, put it on my plate, and eat it. I always make sure to compliment how good their dish looks/smells. Things that work well for easy transport and non-obtrusiveness are rotisserie chicken legs, and home-made beef patties/meatballs. Good warm or cold.
    Also, I ask if I can bring something-and then bring something that works for me.
    I have learned that I cannot afford to take 'just one taste'.
    Maybe someday.
    Not now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast