Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My experiment - curing insomnia through diet page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    When your body gets too little fuel, it begins to go into starvation mode. In starvation mode, your body is going to try and conserve energy. If you've ever been on a restrictive diet and suffered from head aches, fatigue, loss of energy, insomnia, a rumbling stomach, or irritability, you have experienced your body's starvation mode. This not only makes life extremely unpleasant and potentially endangers your health, but can make you too tired to exercise and cause your body to start burning muscle mass in addition to fat. To top it off, in starvation mode, you are most likely to run into a weight loss stall, as your body desperately tries to hang onto stored energy.

Really good article:

When the brain is threatened with energy starvation it will send a hormonal message to the adrenal glands to pour adrenaline into the system. Adrenaline is a hormone that converts glycogen – strings of glucose molecules stored in the body – back into glucose, so as to feed the brain again. (See image). But abnormal adrenaline secretion during the night can also cause insomnia and nightmares.

Read more here: Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia - The Biochemistry of Insomnia

js290 is offline Senior Member

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thank you! I just read through it quickly - will read more later. Did you read it?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Wow, thank you! I just read through it quickly - will read more later. Did you read it?
    I did actually read the whole thing last year. That's when I realized that unless your gluconeogenesis is renal based, you're not really in starvation mode. People who under eat are simply lowering their metabolisms, not necessarily going into starvation mode.

thoraxe is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I realize that this thread is almost a year old now, but I feel like I'm having similar issues. I'm routinely waking upin the "middle" of the night and having ttrouble getting back to sleep. If I do, it's fitful and not very restful. Sometimes I feel like I might be hungry. I have no issues getting to sleep but almost always wake after a few hours (typically 4-5). I wake up feeling fully alert and ready to go, but not wired or agitated. Frequently I'm waking up right in the middle of a dream.

Did your issues simply go away? Did you change something and have a good result?

I guess I need to start logging everything very carefully. I certainly don't have very good data. No time like the present!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12