Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregnancy and ketones

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Meh. If so, I don't buy it. 50 grams is for a full grown adult.

... I would feel a little sorry for any ladies just starting primal and instantly getting pregnant, though. I think it's a benefit to have done this for a year before setting up shop as a human incubator.

I agree. I was primal for a few months and got pregnant... Dove off the wagon without a second glance. I did stay gluten free - but ate all sorts of garbage replacement junk food. I wish I had stayed primal, but I was weak. Now I have to shed the baby weight (I gained 60 pounds!). I would have had so much more control if I had been primal for a long time prior to conceiving - I am making it my goal to stay primal through my second, though that is a few years down the road still.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Hi, where do you get this number from? Just curious.

Thanks!
    From Mark's Daily Apple Carbohydrate curve (<50 = ketosis/major weight loss, 50-100=weight loss, 100-150=weight maintenance, 150+ = weight gain).

Pregnancy is not a time to try to lose weight, and it IS a time when your body needs extra nutrition as it is using extra calories . I classify pregnant/nursing women in the 'marathon runner' category b/c of how much more energy and fuel we need. There is a need to gain some weight while pregnant (not a crazy amount) and the way to do that is to eat more carbohydrates in addition to health ratios of fat and protein in the diet.

In my own experience once I drop below 150g/day then I stop gaining weight and when I make sure to be 150-200g/day then I gain appropriately (which means .5-1lb/week for the 3rd trimester of pregnancy when baby is gaining most of its weight too).

A twin pregnancy is seriously taxing on a woman's body and requires even more energy from food sources which is why I said 200g/day for a twin pg.
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!