Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sitting all day at your job, how to prevent lower back pain? page 3

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    Check out Esther Gokhale and the Gokhale Method (first heard of Esther here at MDA). I watched a 53 minute video on youtube of Esther re posture. I had immediate benefit! I too work at a computer many hours a day and bought a simple wooden laptop lap desk and placed it on a desk, so I can switch back and forth, keeping Esther's teaching in mind.
    Gokhale Method Institute |

Upon checking this out via your recommendation, I have to say that the picture in the upper left is one of the most epic before/after shots EVER!!
    Little Saiyan

Bunk is offline Junior Member
    Back pain is often a symptom of tight hamstrings. Buy a lacrosse ball and take it to work. Use it under your glutes and hamstrings throughout the day to work on your mobility. Just sit on the ball and move around until you find a tight/sore spot then work it for 10-15 mins. Once its pain free, look for different spots or switch to a different muscle. If you do squats or sprint workouts, doing this the day after those workouts is awesome.

Using a lacrosse ball at work will be less effective if you have a super cushy office chair. If so, try and get a fold up chair in your office/workspace to use with the lacrosse ball throughout the day. Or use it on your desk or a table, or even the floor if you must. An added bonus is you can stand up, put the lacrosse ball on the edge of your desk, and use it to rub out your quads as well.

healthbacks is offline Banned
    If the pain is bad and you feel the backache after getting up, the best thing you could do is check out a chair with lumbar support. Short of that, you might want to get a simple add-on for your office chair that supports your lumbar for the long hours. Like someone said earlier, it is far better that you set aside a few minutes several times during your day to walk around and stretch.

Ceebe is offline Junior Member
    Among all the other advices here, my therapist recommended me to stand up every time the phone rings, sit down when you need to write someting down and stand up again. Realy helps, so make your phone ring and drive your collegues crazy.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    I've had lower back pain for many years but I'm slowly starting to see improvements. More functional exercise, standing up at the desk, walking about during breaks, a lot more stretching and sleeping without a pillow have all helped.

morsal is offline Junior Member
    To avoid lower back pains while sitting all the long at your job, first of all you need to choose a right chair for you, as these are available in different shapes and size according to your built and comfort. Try to sit withstraight back on your chair not like relaxed like lol, and have some shoulders and back exercise and stretchingafter few hour sitting just to release the tiredness and pain in your back bone.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Standing workstation is the best thing ever. One thing I had to do though is to get rid of the chair all together - the temptation is too strong sometimes. And once I sit down... I keep sitting down, even if my back and knees are dying! Standing station = no problems! Hurray to my employer for equipping the office with them!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

AlexAuckland is offline Junior Member
    Hi Call Me Twitchy. Unfortunately lower back pain is extremely common among people who do a lot of sitting. 8 hours of sitting a day is a lot. Our spines were never designed to sit for that long and therefore very soon we start to feel back pain. There are certain important things you need to do to try to minimise the damage. This includes correcting your sitting posture: most importantly getting a good comfortable chair with enough lower back support. I have recently published an article on our Mt Wellington Physiotherapy website that describes how to set up your work station in a bit more detail. Please check out the article. I have confidence that it will help you.
    Last edited by AlexAuckland; 02-06-2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

lettereebenevende is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for that information, I will definitely observe my sitting posture especially during work here in office. Normally, I doing stretching while lying and sitting.

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Stretch your hip flexors! This made significant difference in back pain. Im talking, made it disappear.

Having tight hip flexors pulls our spine out of alignment subtly and messes with our hips. For me, when I first started stretching it was tremendously tight but gave me tonnes of relief. Try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZX1QMTdAC4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast