Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't find a trainer page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Can't find a trainer

Primal Fuel
    I'm very frustrated. I'm trying to find a personal trainer who can show me/help me learn how to weightlift -- but it seems like everything these days is based on CrossFit. I don't want CF. I want to lift heavy things. **bangs head on desk**

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't think you need a trainer, at least not for more than a couple of sessions. programs like starting strength and stronglifts are great heavy lifting programs that are progressive, starting at very low weight so you can begin by focusing on form. if you need a trainer at all, it would be to have someone to show you proper form and check your form, then you can follow a program on your own. for that, the advice you can get at a crossfit gym should be just fine. see if they will let you have a couple of trial sessions where you can work with someone who knows what they're doing.
    also consider some of the body weight programs like simplefit, primal blueprint fitness, convict conditioning, etc...it may not seem like you're doing a lot of lifting heavy things at first, but i work harder doing those programs than i ever did under the bar.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Buy the Starting Strength DVD.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Too bad you're not in the Sacramento area...I'm a trainer and I have traditional weightlifting experience. Starting Strength is definitely a fantastic resource!

Oh, and I LOVE Convict Conditioning. Working it back into my training as I speak!
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Put up an ad in your gym, or on Craigslist:
    Wanted:
    Physical Trainer or experienced lifter who can teach correct form for the following lifts-
    Deadlift
    Squat
    Benchpress
    Barbell Row
    Overhead Press
    etc...
    No cardio, no Crossfit. Lifting form only.

You can even go to your gym manager and give him a copy. Tell him to call you when his trainers stop being idiots, or whatever other witty comments you might have. If you tell him you are posting this ad on Craigslist because you can't find someone at the gym to teach you what you want to know, I'd bet that he would start going through his trainers until he found someone competent that would keep you coming back.

Yes, I agree that a trainer is not *necessary*, but I do believe they can be very useful. I'm finally starting to figure out barbell rows, now that my wife has started SL5x5 with me, and can tell me when my form is jacked up. She doesn't know what a barbell row is, but knows enough about exercise to tell me that my back isn't straight.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I'm very frustrated. I'm trying to find a personal trainer who can show me/help me learn how to weightlift -- but it seems like everything these days is based on CrossFit. I don't want CF. I want to lift heavy things. **bangs head on desk**
    How Upstate NY are you?
    DIRECTORY

Thanks so much, everyone! I appreciate all of the advice. I'm hesitant to attempt lifting again without one-on-one guidance because when I did CF in the fall (for two weeks of full classes), I hurt my back either from poor form or too much weight (or both). I'll definitely get Starting Strength and Convict Conditioning -- I've already ordered New Rules of Lifting For Women.

Josh, I wish that too! If you have any colleagues near the Albany, NY, area, please let me know.

js290, I'm just south of Albany. Unfortunately, there's no Albany location in that directory. But thanks for the link!

Just downloaded Convict Conditioning and Starting Strength, and I ordered the SS DVD. Thanks again!

Wahoo -- I am now the proud owner of New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength and Convict Conditioning! Now it's just a question of which do I read first?

Thanks again, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I'll train you. Not certified or really a master, but I know more than you. Give me your money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast