Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very low carb examples page

roccoernest is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

In an effort to try and accelerate my weight loss a little, I've decided to experiment on a much lower carb diet and see if this helps crack some slow fat that's taking forever to lose. Part of it is motivation (I'm losing a lb a week of fat, and would like to see if I can improve that), part is just experimentation, and part is just helping break the carb cravings.

On Primal which I've done for a few months now, I find that I was averaging about 100-125g of carb a day, which I think is perfectly fine for maintenance. However in my case I'm currently at 295lbs and 34-35% fat.

I realize that an extreme low carb diet is not something I can maintain for very long - I was thinking of more like 2-4 weeks, just to kick my system up a bit.

Anyway: it's really hard to make a 2000-2500 calorie diet and get enough protein and come in at 25g of carbs or less - like nearly impossible - trying to squeeze in foods using fitday. Any suggestions?

Suz Guest

One thing that I noticed is that avocados have a lot of carbs. While they are so delicious sometimes I feel I have to make a choice between an apple vs. an avocado depending on how I am feeling that day. If you are looking to cut carbs perhaps you can replace avocado with some EVOO or coconut oil.

Nick Guest

Two pounds of ribeye will do it. Zero carbs, 158g protein, 200g fat, 2486 kcal.

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

@ Suz.

Carbs contribute to about 19% of the calories in avocado. However, 79% of those carbs come from fiber. If you consider net carbs, only 4% of the calories of avocado come from net carbs.

Coconut is similar in this respect; 16% of calories from coconut come from carbs but 59% of those carbs are fiber so only 6.5% of calories from coconut come from net carbs.

Apples however have a very low percentage of carbs from fiber and are almost exclusively carbs unlike avocado and coconut which are mostly fat. 79% of the calories of an apple come from net carbs (sugar and starch).

@ Rocco

What kinds of foods do you typically eat now? I tried going very low carb for a couple of weeks (under 50g carbs and under 30g net carbs). From my trial I noticed increased improvements in body composition but I had no desire to continue (like you the trial was also for experiment purposes and see if I could curb carb cravings).

eggs, meats, cheese, butter, nuts (walnuts and pecans; the lowest net carbs), heavy cream and homemade primal bars were my staples.

Conan Guest

I suggest you stick with your current diet which seems to be working. If you want to accelerate weight loss, add some intense workout sessions and long slow walks. I think 100-125g of carbs is low enough and it is obviously working since you are losing weight. Try to be more active in general before you get extreme with your diet.

1968Tigers is offline Junior Member

Apple -vs- Avocado? I don't get the comparison.

Avocado is mostly fiber compared to the low fiber of apple.

Avocado for me is far more nutrient dense.

Suz Guest

Oops, I can see how I caused some confusion! I think of avocado as mainly a fat source, but thinking of the total carbs present in avocados (not taking into consideration fiber) and taking into consideration my love of FRUIT, sometimes I feel I have to make a choice between the two to keep my carb numbers down in a given day. I'm still trying to experiment as to how much carbs I should intake.

andrewc Guest

I understood that the recommendation was to control total carb intake because the proportion of carbs defined as fibre in various foods is soluble fibre, that this is fully digested, providing the same amount of carb calories as the none fibre component of carbs.

Maybe I've misunderstood ?

roccoernest is offline Junior Member

Before the cutback, I had a pretty wide and varied diet. Usually fruit and some kind of egg/bacon/left over meat combo for breakfast; veggies and a meat for lunch (salads, tomatoes, whatever was available); meat and veggies for dinner; nuts and the occasional protein (cheese, sardine cans, etc). I was losing, albeit slowly, and averaging 100-125g carbs per day. Most of that came from fruit, cheese, and random sources like nuts.

Exercise-wise was two intense weight-lifting sessions, at least 3 times a week walking about 2-3 miles a shot, and every week I added a third workout of some kind (kettlebells, a 5-6 mile additional walk).

My dilemma (other than just, y'know, being patient was I could either reduce carbs, add more intense aerobics (not really wanting to do that), add more weightlifting (right now it takes all week to recover from soreness as it is - not sure if I should be pushing it more) or some other kind of intense yet non-weightlifting activity. So I figured - try reducing carbs for a couple of weeks and see about adding one other workout, like sprinting.

Obviously all my CW friends are puzzled and just say "why not add an hour on the treadmill every day?" which I'm sure would cause weight loss, but I'd rather not get on the chronic cardio bandwagon (especially since it never worked in the past).

Conan Guest

Eliminate the cheese and other dairy and see what impact that has before cutting out the nutritious carbs like fruits, veggies, and nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast