Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting? Help? page

Supercell is offline Junior Member

Fasting? Help?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

I am very new to Primal eating. So far it is wonderful, I feel so much better.

The only thing bothering me is fasting. I just don't want to fast because it is stressful, it feels unnatural for me to deprive my body of food when it is telling me it is hungry. Then if I force myself to fast I find I binge when I allow myself to eat.

What should I do? I want to be as healthy as possible, and I do not want stress.

Is fasting so amazing that I should do it regardless of how miserable it actually makes me?

Thank you in advance to everyone who contributes x

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Nobody said you have to fast at all. Don't do it if you don't like it. Some of us use it for convenience or for fat loss, and that works for us. Many others don't fast at all.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    don't fast! seriously - not required. i think that in the beginning, it might even be a bad idea for lots of people. don't worry about it at all.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I don't do well with fasting either, so you are not alone. I have decided for myself that fasting just isn't a good idea for me right now. Maybe down the road when I have been Primal longer, but for now I'm good with eating three meals a day.

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    Test it out. I struggled when I started. However, been doing it consistently for over a year and I have to say, after a fast and then re-feed, my demeanor and mood is significantly improved in the days following. However, whether to fast or not should not be a stress. If it's something you dread or don't feel like at the time you can get through, don't do it. If it's causing you to be irresponsible after it, don't do it. I can assure you the stress it's causing just thinking about it and worrying about what it may lead to is overriding any benefit the fast might bring in the first place.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercell View Post
    The only thing bothering me is fasting. I just don't want to fast because it is stressful, it feels unnatural for me to deprive my body of food when it is telling me it is hungry. Then if I force myself to fast I find I binge when I allow myself to eat.

What should I do? I want to be as healthy as possible, and I do not want stress.
    If you are hungry...EAT. Get nice and full, and then don't eat again until you're hungry. Fill up, drain the tank, fill up, repeat. IF should happen naturally. You might be comfortable with 10 hours (overnight), or you might have no problem going 18 without a meal. Experiment, listen to your body, but dont force it.

To me, Intermittent Fasting is going for a long stretch between my last meal and my next meal WITHOUT painful hunger. On a typical day I can eat supper at 6, and not be ready for another meal until 10 or 11 or even noon. (I drink coffee, tea, water and broth) 2 substantial meals a day (or 2 meals, 1 snack) is my normal. This is not uncomfortable at all, except for the distraction of thinking about what I"m going to eat next. I love food. It's awesome

And there are days that I need to eat by 8am, and other days where I have to have a snack otherwise I'm going to bed hungry. I just try to focus on what my body is asking for at that eating opportunity. I'm learning to calm down, choose my food wisely in the moment, then let it go and carry on until the next eating opportunity. Food you eat when you're hungry - but not beyond satiety - is not bingeing. You just might be getting a day's worth of food in a single sitting.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    If you have only recently stopped eating grains etc, fasting will make you feel miserable. It sounds hard to believe but as a primal eater of several months, fasting actually feels good to me.

First try 3 primal meals a day for a month, to get used to mainly burning fat from both your diet and your body reserves. Once I was acclimatised to primal eating I found myself skipping breakfast by accident, and now I deliberately do it regularly. You may find that happens to you too, or you might find it's not for you. For example if you are very active, or you are avoiding additional food groups like dairy, nuts... then you may find that you will struggle to eat enough!

If you do feel like you're ready to give it a go, try having a light snack instead of one of your meals, or maybe push breakfast to a little later in the day. There's also no reason to do it every day, many IFers only do it occasionally.

Having said that, I do think that fasting is a big part of the reason why my weight loss has gone really well so far. I have a lot of damage to fix (obesity and allergies) so I personally feel that I must be as Grok-ish as I can be for a while to help me heal!
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Hello everyone,

I am very new to Primal eating. So far it is wonderful, I feel so much better.

Is fasting so amazing that I should do it regardless of how miserable it actually makes me?

Thank you in advance to everyone who contributes x
    Fasting should feel natural. If it doesn't feel natural, then don't do it. It's not a requirement. Simply eat when you are hungry and don't eat when you are not. Don't get stressed about it.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Hello everyone,

I am very new to Primal eating.
    Stop right there. When I started out, I didnt even think about fasting. I just first wanted to understand Primal food. Once you feel you are totally on-board, understand your hunger signals, and this somewhat becomes a lifestyle, maybe fasting will just come naturally to you. It has to be. And if it does not, dont bother. You are already treating your body very well.

Best of luck!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    if it's stressing you out and resulting in binge eating then STOP. it's not a requirement.

focus on what you are eating and how it makes you feel. the elimination of grains, processed foods and junk oils will go a very long way in healing your body, but it doesn't happen overnight. it may take weeks or months, depending on what you ate before.

eat when you're hungry. eat real food. make sure you are consuming enough fat.

it will all sort itself out.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast