Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help Gaining weight and Muscle mass page

Brolic Prim is offline Junior Member

I need help Gaining weight and Muscle mass

Shop Now
    I am 20 years old bout to turn 21 next week. I do not workout much-at all . my measurement are 5'8 135lbs i think 120 lean body mass i have a mesomorph type build and I'm looking to gain weight and muscle. i am new to the primal way but, i have been reading lost of post about it. I am going to be working out 3 days weights and sprint one day, tabata other day and a 45min ab workout on a day out the week throw some tai chi in there and i move around alot at my 5hour job. I would like to know how much calories i should consume (so i can keep track), how much carbs and fats i need. My protein intake is gonna be 132gr-148gr...is that good for me to gain weight and muscle. i was thinking my carb intake should be 150gr-160gr- no lower than 140gr and lastly i do not know how much fat i need to balance the rest of my macronutrients. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas!? much appericated

P.S. I haven't been eating primal but when i start this program i am making my switch
    I am not that active but, i plan on being ALOT more active

EDIT: Calories 2444 rest days 952 from carbs and fats 540 from protein
    2666 work days 1063 from carbs and fats 540 from protein. I used the IF calculator
    Last edited by Brolic Prim; 06-12-2012 at 03:32 PM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about how much you eat. Just train hard and eat until you are full. You can see immense gains in muscle stength since you haven't been doing any type of resistance training. If you just HAVE to have numbers, this calculator is pretty cool: IF Calculator

Mark did a post a couple years ago on this topic, although I think if he wrote it today, he might recommend higher carb intake:
    How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, You don't need both sprints AND tabata on a weekly basis. I'd pick one or the other. You also most definitely DO NOT need a 45 minute ab workout. Just do compound lifts with proper form on your weight training days and you will hit your abs hard enough. Pullups target your abs better than any crunch type exercise. And any compound lift will use your core to a great degree.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Gotta eat & rest.. little to no cardio, sleep well, maybe nap more, relax & eat eat eat.. Can't add mass from thin air.. Has to be fueled by excess calories.. For me personally it wasn't adding "carbs" (i'm very carb sensitive with signs of leaky gut so the more "carbs" I eat, I actually seem to malnourish because the food simply runs right through me).. So I've added a lot of fat, meat, eggs, avocado, lots of olive oil.. I noticed intermittent fasting assisted with digested my calories, so I'm currently trying to gain on 2 giant meals a day that are lower carb, high fat.. Must eat as much as you can, but keep it clean & lift heavy, compound moves.. & eat..

then Eat..

the ab workout is like a muay thai ab workout is that still not good

using that calculator do i have to IF...is it okay to eat 5-6 meals a day
    Last edited by Brolic Prim; 06-08-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Dude at 20yrs old and not exercising heavily before don't bother overthinking it. You will be a great responder as long as you just eat till your full 2-3x/day. If you get to the advanced/elite level of bodybuilding (or any sport) THEN start micromanaging this shit.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brolic Prim View Post
    I am 20 years old bout to turn 21 next week. I do not workout much-at all . my measurement are 5'8 135lbs i think 120 lean body mass i have a mesomorph type build and I'm looking to gain weight and muscle. i am new to the primal way but, i have been reading lost of post about it. I am going to be working out 3 days weights and sprint one day, tabata other day and a 45min ab workout on a day out the week throw some tai chi in there and i move around alot at my 5hour job. I would like to know how much calories i should consume (so i can keep track), how much carbs and fats i need. My protein intake is gonna be 132gr-148gr...is that good for me to gain weight and muscle. i was thinking my carb intake should be 150gr-160gr- no lower than 140gr and lastly i do not know how much fat i need to balance the rest of my macronutrients. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas!? much appericated

P.S. I haven't been eating primal but when i start this program i am making my switch
    I am not that active but, i plan on being ALOT more active

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength (or Strong Lifts or Squats and milk), lots of food including carbs, and lots of sleep.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Try GOMAD. (gallon of milk a day)

PrimalCon New York
    Is 5-6 meals okay or...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast