Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's never going to change page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

It's never going to change

Primal Fuel
    I ran into an old workmate the other day and spent 20 minutes or so telling him how I had changed my way of living using Primal/paleo. He is a very bright educated guy. I sent him several links to read/view and here is his response:

I've viewed a couple of the videos you sent me and glanced a little at some of the links. I need to review it more than I have. I have to say that I am a little skeptical regarding some of the info. I definitely believe that carbs as the typical American diet has evolved is definitely our enemy but I'm not convinced there is no room in our diet for them at all ( he means grains I believe). There are plenty of people living a healthy life style eating a diet as prescribed by nutritionists today. I believe the problem with the American diet is fast food in all of it's forms (McD's, prepaired meals etc). The number one killer in America today is heart disease which a high fat diet (and carbs) contributes to. So I'm going to read on but remain skeptical.

My family thinks I am crazy avoiding wheat products and the response is the same from other people I chat with also. I am not sure how these ideas regarding primal/paleo are ever going to get implemented on a larger scale. Kinda depressing as I watch my family and wife's family go from overweight to obese...they are massive carb ingesters. My sister died (age 56) from a blood clot in here lungs last year, she had become very obese eating her carbs. I tried repeatedly to get her to change her diet.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    What do you care?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    What do you care?
    I can understand you caring when it comes to the health of your family, but they are all adults. Best you can do is provide them with the information and let them make up their own minds. If someone does not want to change, they won't. They need to want to change.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    What do you care?
    Wow, if you know someone you love or care for is killing themselves why would you not want to do something about that. What kind of world do you live in? Geeze.

On a broader scale, if people are destroying themselves we all are going to have to pay for their poor lifestyle choices for years as they steadily decline. There is a health crisis going on that is getting worse that is going to cripple the United States.
    Last edited by Moochy; 06-08-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I have tried to convince people in my short time primal. I've shown them the sites. I've shown them the journals of people who have said they have eliminated this ailment or that ailment. But all of it has been in vain. Now I just sit back, gnaw on my chicken bone and watch the weight drip off my body while they still struggle. 2 people have come to me that I've tried to sway previously after seeing my results (20 lbs lost in 3 short months) asking for the information I tried to give them before.

The results speak for themselves. Until the results speak loudly enough to those with hard heads and deaf ears, I just keep my mouth shut and secretly gloat.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I wish that people better understood the damage grains do. I'm honestly angry that I wasted so much time being addicted to wheat. I *thought* they were OK, and not causing me harm. I was certain I just needed to cut fat or cut the sugar addiction (easy when you eliminate grain, impossible when you eat them). I cut my calories so low and "healthy grains" deprived me of more nutritious foods.

But the word "HEALTHY"= "GRAIN". It is sad- and this time last year I was your friend- "no way- grains are "healthy""- its the burger that kills ya.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    It's a shame we've gotten so smart that we can still limp along with all this bad food. Evolution is having a hard time with us, even if we are an extinction species.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    it's not a war, it'll change just like nutrition information always does. it's cyclical
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy's workmate
    There are plenty of people living a healthy life style eating a diet as prescribed by nutritionists today. I believe the problem with the American diet is fast food in all of it's forms (McD's, prepaired meals etc). The number one killer in America today is heart disease which a high fat diet (and carbs) contributes to.
    You know, he is right. He's just being too general. There are plenty of people who are healthy and eating the ideal SAD. Heart disease is in part caused by high fat (PUFAs) and carbs (HFCS). If you jump right into the paleo stuff with people right away, you will almost always be considered a loony. Start with the premise that processed food should be eliminated as much as possible. No one argues with that.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

doghug is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    The results speak for themselves. Until the results speak loudly enough to those with hard heads and deaf ears, I just keep my mouth shut and secretly gloat.
    LOL me too
    " If you truly love nature you will find beauty everywhere"

- Vincent Van Gogh

Primal Since January 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast