Thread: Broccoli and Bacon Salad page

MrsJenx is offline Junior Member

Red face Broccoli and Bacon Salad

Hi everyone! I'm new to posting on the site, but my husband and I have been doing a slow transition to primal for the last few months. I really enjoy reading the recipes on the forum. Being primal has given me a new zest for cooking!

I've made this salad several times over the last month or so - I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do! To be honest, the amounts are approximate as I tend to just cook by sight and taste.

Ingredients:
    1 head of broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
    8 thick slices of pepper bacon, chopped into bite size pieces (the brand I buy is Niman Ranch)
    3/4 c. of homemade ghee mayo (recipe from this site Homemade Ghee Mayo | Mark's Daily Apple) If you are feeling really decadent or crafty, you could use some of your bacon drippings in place of olive oil in the mayo.
    1/4 c. of pine nuts
    pepper or other seasonings to taste.

Whip it up in a bowl together - Let it sit refridgerated for a few hours to let the flavors blend together.

kimann79 is offline Member
    That sounds good and I just happen to have made baconnaise the other day. Thanks for the recipe.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good except pine nuts are too expensive here. Other nuts probably good in it too.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Mmm. I love broccoli salad! I hate broccoli otherwise and don't eat it much. Will have to try.

Thanks!

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member
    I've been terribly bored with my BAS recently so I did this:

Chopped 3-5 sliced of bacon up into bites. Fry them until to my liking (I like crispy.) Take out bacon, leave drippings. With the pan turned down low, added in some garlic. Sauteed a few minutes, then squeeze in a whole lemon*. Salt & pepper to your liking. add bacon back in, heat through, pour over BAS.

You can also saute some onion with the garlic however, I like my onion raw in my BAS.

* If you microwave a lemon for 10-30 seconds (depending if they're room temp or cold), then roll them back and forth on the counter with your palm pressing down, you will get a TON more juice! This also works with limes, oranges, grapefruits, etc.
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

lascellescharles is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like your thread. I like salads lot, thanks for sharing this healthy food.